Thread: Bottle Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bottle Jack

Anyone use a bottle Jack for roadside use?

I’ve read they’re not recommended for roadside usage, I guess due to flat ground issues???? But I can’t imagine anything being worse than the flimsy scissor jacks that come with most vehicles.

Looks to me like a bottle jack with a scrap piece of 2x would be a better option & also should work well for jacking up a trailer???

Buy a small floor jack. It will easily pack in your truck. It’s worth it’s weight in gold when you need it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    I always have one or two (different weight capabilities) with me. I carry a couple 4x4's that help when needed.

4. Member
    I keep one in my enclosed trailer for changing a flat. Keep one in the basement of our diesel pusher too. The built in leveling jacks will not quite the wheels off the ground, so just a little more push with the jack gets it done. Had to use it for that once, was sure nice to have.
    John

5. Member
    A bottle jack is all I have used for the last 20+ years. A 2x and a bottle jack can handle nearly every situation, truck and trailer. My bottle jack fits behind the rear seat nicely.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

I use a couple of them. I have welded a bigger spot on top to help with the footprint on the axle.

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post
    I always have one or two (different weight capabilities) with me. I carry a couple 4x4's that help when needed.
    this. I never pull my boat without this in my truck
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. Member
    I have a 8 ton bottle jack for my fifth wheel that I carry because of the size and weight that I also use to for my boat.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

I have an 8 ton bottle jack and a couple 2' lengths of 4X4 behind the rear seat in my truck but the only times that I've ever used it were a couple occasions where I pulled over to help people who were having tire issues with R.V.'s. I always carry a floor jack in the bed of my truck when travelling to/from tournaments and it has saved the day for me and a few others on many occasions.

I actually made a little kit to carry with me. Not a bottle jack, but a small 2 ton floor jack with a 20" piece of 2x10 to use. Small 4 way, Milwaukee impact wrench, appropriate sockets, etc all in a craftsman tub. Fits nicely in the back seat of the cab. Just load it and go if I have the boat or another trailer behind the truck.

11. Member
    Bottle jack with case to store it, then a couple of 1x8 boards that are about a foot long to provide a stable platform if on rough terrain. Takes up less space than a floor jack and has never given me issues the couple of times I have had to use it. Like Mizzou said, a travel case that I can throw in the SUV when I'm hooking up the boat. Gloves, poncho and a big garbage bag are also in the case. Keep the hands clean, your body dry and something to lay on and stay out of the dirt if needed.

12. Member
    I have them in both of my truck as the POS jacks they come with wont safely lift the truck empty. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

13. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Buy a small floor jack. It will easily pack in your truck. It’s worth it’s weight in gold when you need it.
    I agree and carry one for truck and boat use.

Dale Sinclair original

14. Member
    3x on the bottle jack under the rear seat. I keep a milk crate with various sized scraps of wood tied in the bed of the truck. Also have a couple 4x4's cut on an angle that can be used as wheel chocks.

15. Member
    They work great but keep in mind it needs to fit underneath when the truck is sitting on the rim. Scissor jacks and floor jacks are lower profile and will slide under pretty easy. My neighbor keeps a bottle jack in his tool box. Last Memorial Day we had to dig out some gravel to get the jack in there. That might be a bit of a challenge if it's sitting on pavement

16. Member
    Bottle Jack and a COUPLE 2x8's and its kept me going so far.....I pull a trailer DAILY have had 3 instances this year on the side of the highway. Worked like a charm.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    They work great but keep in mind it needs to fit underneath when the truck is sitting on the rim. Scissor jacks and floor jacks are lower profile and will slide under pretty easy. My neighbor keeps a bottle jack in his tool box. Last Memorial Day we had to dig out some gravel to get the jack in there. That might be a bit of a challenge if it's sitting on pavement
    I have helped a few that had a bottle jack that would not fit when the tire is flat with my small floor jack in a case that is in the back of my truck.

18. Member
    2 X 6 and a jack works well
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I have this bottle jack kit in the truck at all times... unfortunately, it's about twice as much now a when I bought mine a few years ago.

I also have a floor jack, but only throw it in the truck for longer trips. For daily driving, the bottle jack will suffice.

https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...th-bottle-jack

20. Member
    I carry a 2.5 ton aluminum floor from harbor freight. I keep telling myself someday I am going to organize my truck tool box and make it a "Kit"but for now it's a catch all
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast