Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treker47 View Post
    Have you given any thought in offering to go halves with him? If you can afford it offer to pay the food bill until they are market ready then sell them and split the money they bring at the sale. May be a break even thing for you but it may make a difference with him getting a little profit. If he refuses then I would make the call.
    I was thinking the same thing as an alternate

2. Member
    call. as mail carrier i hate seeing it but we are not supposed to get involved. first starting out you are usually in "rougher" neighbor hoods and see it everywhere. 23 years in i have a private village i deliver in and dogs are pampered like crazy lol. its a zoo for deer turkey and hawks too.

i do know of a carrier who "stole" dogs from people who treated them wrong. i know she did it couple times.

i even get upset seeing roadkill now lol. must be getting old. unless its a goose..then i lol
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

3. Member
    Ultimately something has to change for the animals well being. How many cows? Why can't a few round bails suffice temporarily? BUT, what happens to the animals if a call IS made, where do they go? Does Animal Control/Livestock commission have facilities to hold them and feed them? Or will they get put down?

I am used to horses, there are rescue facilities for horses, there are also kill pens where they ultimately get shipped off to Mexico...
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

4. Member
    Do the right thing - make the call.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

5. Member
    If you call and nothing happens to improve things, at least you tried. If you don't call, you have already seen where things are headed.

6. Member
    Unless the state vet comes out or there's a pile of dead animals, odds are nothing will happen

7. Member
    Thanks for all the input. I have reached out to him and offered too buy others that caught my eye. He asked for me to give him a day or two and he would be in touch. I think at that time it might open the door for the conversation rather then an aggressive move like calling authorities. I opt to give people the benefit of the doubt and just run my operation the best I can. You can't save them all.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

8. Member
    Solid plan

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I have reached out to him and offered too buy others that caught my eye. He asked for me to give him a day or two and he would be in touch. I think at that time it might open the door for the conversation rather then an aggressive move like calling authorities. I opt to give people the benefit of the doubt and just run my operation the best I can. You can't save them all.
    I think you made the right decision.

10. Member
    Good Job,hope all goes as planed

11. Member
    every farmer I know cares deeply for their animals so likely hard times or other issues going on

maybe we can start a BBC collection to SAVE THE CATTLE and have a big BBQ later!!!
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-06-2023 at 06:54 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    Good on you.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

Being Nebraska, it will get taken seriously. Distant family member got in trouble for this, in Nebraska. It wasn't so much him, but his son letting cattle and horses get in that kind of shape. He ended up getting prison time and never made it out, died in Prison. Even though it was his son's animals, he got the prison time because the farm was in his name and he was in no condition to take care of the animals. He had some dead animals on the property though.

Nebraska does take it very serious, so those saying nothing would come of it are likely wrong.

14. Member
    Much of the midwest had severe drought conditions this year. Many people from Oklahoma have reached out as far as south Louisiana to try to find reasonably priced hay. Round bales selling here for $40-50/ roll will bring three times that amount in the drought areas, if you can find some to buy.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

15. Member
    I feel for the guy it's tough all over. Obvious he loves them and isn't doing it on purpose. We all do the best we can do and are often too hard headed to quit. I made an expression the other day that rings true... "We are too poor to get out of the cattle business". As for the ones I bought they are doing well and haven't came up for air out of the hay ring. A couple weeks from now you won't even know they were the same cattle.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

16. Member
    I feel for the guy it's tough all over. Obvious he loves them and isn't doing it on purpose. We all do the best we can do and are often too hard headed to quit. I made an expression the other day that rings true... "We are too poor to get out of the cattle business". As for the ones I bought they are doing well and haven't came up for air out of the hay ring. A couple weeks from now you won't even know they were the same cattle.
    what would it take to send him a load of good hay?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Easy decision , call. Has nothing to do with being that guy.
    Proud Army Dad

18. Member
    About $400 a ton plus freight so upwards of $3000 for a truck and trailer load. But unfortunately I don't think that's the solution here. It would be just kicking the can down the road. When it comes to animal husbandry everyone is different just like morals and ethics. We are all different. Most of us do it because we love them and want to give them the best we can. Others may want them for purely profit so cutting corners is the key to squeaking every dime out of them.
    There was a pasture of skinny cattle not too far away. In December we had a cold snap with -55 WCF that guy lost 24 head. You could have fed them all you wanted but they were too far gone to cope with the conditions.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    Ultrex 112

19. Member
    That is so sad. Sometimes we forget how good we have it.

Helen Keller — 'I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12