Question to ponder

If you were to move to a state (Alaska) that offered zero bass fishing for say 3 years, would you sell everything you own as a package deal with your BassCat or would you sell the boat as it sits on the trailer and then piece off everything else. After the three years, bass fishing would be a viable option again.
    Last edited by JayLaw; 02-05-2023 at 05:00 PM.

2. Member
    If it was for 3 yrs, put it all in the boat and put it all in storage. Like i did when i was in Afg.

3. Member
    If I was ever going to bass fish again, I would put in it storage and keep it. The way prices are increasing, it would cost 50% to replace it in 3 years. My 2022 Cougar would cost $10,000 more to replace it now than I paid for it in April of 2022.

4. Member
    I'd leave if with a good friend to use until you returned to the lower 48. That is of course if the good friend agreed to take good care of it, keep it full of gas, repair anything that went wrong, keep in the garage when not in use and detail it before giving back. But that is just me...

ps - especially if the good friend was budgeting for a new boat in 3-4 years anyways.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

5. Member
    Just bring it to my house. Ill take care of it.

Depends on how much I liked it and if I was looking for an upgrade. After spending 3 years in Alaska as an outdoorsman, you may never come back. I’ve spent a lot of time up there and try to spend most of my summers there. If you want to catch a few during the summer, let me know Jay. Been going up there a long time and the summers are wonderful. Winter can be long but you only need to embrace it with winter activities.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Depends on if you have somewhere to store the rig with no cost. If you have to pay for storage, then sell the rig. Piece off all the goodies separately.

8. Member
    Thanks for the opinions, Richard, no you dont get to "store it for me", but good idea. I have toyed with the idea of keeping it and repowering it upon return, though I would have to store it. That idea is nice because 1)the boat is paid for. 2) there just isnt enough changes in any boat out on the market that my 2016 FTD can't or wont do to justify the cost of rebuying in 3 years, but I believe that boats that sit only develop issues down the road. So I think the reality is to sell it as it sits, maybe sell some additional gear with it, and piece out the rest.

Bill, yes I will be a full outdoor enthusiasts. Got 3 year orders to Kodiak, AK this will bring me to the end off my 30 year USCG aviation career. I have tried for Alaska my entire career and to finally get it for my retirement tour is totally awesome. So if you head to Kodiak each year look me up, we wont get up there till mid July but I hope to have a nice aluminum hewescraft by late summer. I look forward to the salmon fishing especially the kings next may, though really look forward to the Halibut fishing and the hunting opportunities up there.

Jay that is an awesome last assignment, no doubt. Good call on the Hewescraft. It will open up alot of opportunities for you. Unfortunately, I go in and out of Anchorage and drive down to the Kenai Peninsula for my activities. I have a place to stay and a Willie Classic and have the Sockeye dialed in if you could find time starting about mid July into early August. Maybe you could get the guys to drop you off in Soldotna on a training mission. I know you’ll love it up there. Congrats.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763