Oil Gauge reads empty all of a sudden, now getting three beeps ??

My oil gauge all of a sudden reads empty even though it is 1/2 full and I'm getting four beeps from time to time. I have a Merc EFI 200. anything I can Check before I bring it to the shop?

I have a 2004 Merc EFI
    Serial number OT945699
    200LEFI 3
    Last edited by Crankin; 02-05-2023 at 02:01 PM.

2. Member
    Are you referring to the big 3 gal tank in the bilge or the tank on the motor? If it's the 3 gal tank then you probably have an issue with the sender or the wiring to it. You can unplug the sensor wires and short them together. If the guage goes to full when shorted and back to empty when wires are separated then the sensor in the tank cap has gone belly up. If it's the tank on the motor then you need to fill it back to the top and determine why it went down since the bilge tank is 1/2 full.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 possibly 2 problems here , shouldnt be alarm for low oil on bilge mounted tank , check level on engine tank if full tests are in order , likely bad float in engine tank
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I wasn't sure about his application but my '03 does have a sensor in the 3 gal tank and is monitored by Smartcraft gauges. Only reason I suggested that.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill