Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    I know you cant compare era’s,but I wonder if he would have put up the same #’s back when they actually played defense
    He has the skill to have played back then but he would have had to change how he plays. They would laugh him off the court if he tried his shenanigans back then.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky;[URL="tel:12866343"
    12866343[/URL]]Did you ever actually see him play, or do you just cut and paste statistics then proclaim you're an expert? …,
    Why would this thread be any different?
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

I got to meet Kareem in 1982, he came to our HS class (Hawaii), he was friends with our Psychology teacher. Who played WR for the colts,Omar Rassan. there was a Muslim Pro Athlete conection. He seemed a kind individual. Our teacher spoke about him being introverted, and how being famous was a struggle he had to over come. It was kind of neat to have him in class, note thise school chairs were rather in adequate....

4. Member
    I don’t think Kareem is overrated, I think he’s rated about right. He did a lot of things and is an all time great. He isn’t the greatest but he is great.

For the record I don’t much care for him either. So that’s not from a biased Laker fan or something.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Did you ever actually see him play, or do you just cut and paste statistics then proclaim you're an expert?

Nothing about Jabbar was overrated. He was the best center in the league for a long time.
    You dont need to be an expert to have an opinion, I read an article about overconfidence leading to....

I watched him play all through the 80's. I still can shoot the sky hook too. He was good just not great or even GOAT in my mind. Magic carried that team along with big play James. He just played a very long time and held on way to long though. Just look at his numbers compared to Lebron in the last few years they are not even close. He declined horribly in the last 5 years of his career but stuck around just for the accolades. A Seven footer who average 6 rebounds a game in his last 10 years is a joke.

"Abdul-Jabbar was able to play at a high level for most of his career. However, his production and minutes were reduced as he grew older. In his 20th and final season in the league, then-41-year-old Kareem averaged career lows in every major statistical category".

He tallied 10.1 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.1 blocks, shooting 47.5% from the field. He played 22.9 minutes on average. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar still managed to add to his points total. He missed only eight games that season. He had 748 points that season.

On the other hand, his imminent successor as the NBA's all-time leading scorer, LeBron James, hasn't slowed down much in his 20th season. James is three years younger than Kareem was in year 20 and has played 3,738 minutes less than the latter.

LeBron is averaging 30.0 points, 8.5 rebounds and 7.0
    Last edited by Gsmith223; 02-07-2023 at 10:39 AM.

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    LBJ could break it tonite in LA.. should be a packed house going crazy.. might even be a good game..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Sorry Greg, it still doesn’t mean Jabbar was overrated. He was what he was.

Additionally, Jabbar played in an era where hand checking and forearm checking was legal, and access to the lane was much tougher.

The other guy didn’t.

8. Member
    Man, lots of lebron hate in here... I respect the guy for his longevity
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    Man, lots of lebron hate in here... I respect the guy for his longevity
    You can play a long time when you sit out games to rest.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    LBJ didn't hardly "sit out" or miss any games until he went to LA, at which point he was ancient by basketball standards. Don't think it's hard to recognize the guy has kept himself in great shape his whole career.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp

11. Member
    He clearly keeps himself in great shape and has had some luck with no major injuries either. Dude clearly puts in the work, can’t knock him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    It's hard to score points when you're not playing and he scores A LOT of points so he must not be taking too many days off..... The guy spends millions on keeping his body healthy and it shows. A lot of athletes should probably be taking some notes.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

Jabbar played 4 years of college ball, one year on the freshman team (LeBron didn't and went straight to the NBA). Jabbar won 3 NCAA championships, something LeBron will never do.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Jabbar played 4 years of college ball, one year on the freshman team (LeBron didn't and went straight to the NBA). Jabbar won 3 NCAA championships, something LeBron will never do.
    True but what we are seeing now from Lebron is pretty amazing. Antics aside, the fact that Lebron is putting up the numbers he has is just crazy. He is averaging 30 PPG 8 rebounds. Jabbar averaged 10 points 4 rebounds and was 7'4 plus his average competition was 6'7 or below for a lot of that period. Most of them were not even considered professional athletes by today's standards. Guys back then smoked cigarettes and drank at halftime.

15. Member
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

My son just sent me a text and said Lebron dropped an F-bomb on live TV while he was thanking everybody. Classy.

18. Member
    So much hate on here lol. Congrats LeBron

19. Member
    Hats off to lebron james, f bomb or not
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Don’t care how many points he gets. He will Never b as good as Jordan.
    Agree 100%!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast