Bladed Jig Split Ring

Anyone building bladed jigs try using a split ring instead of snap? If so what size? Wondering about action? Having trouble with the snaps opening up. I've tried a couple of different brands.

2. Member
    Have you tried the Decoy size 3 and 4 snaps? Similar if not congruent to what is used on the popular ones.

I had this issue at one point only to find out I was bending them with the way I was putting them on. I'm almost too proud to admit it as it was a real forehead slap moment, and I have to believe you're not in the same spot. Just in case you are...Make sure you're threading the fatter end into the blade so that you're tying your line onto the smaller/skinnier end. Yeah, I know...

If it's not one of the brands you've tried, Decoy is a really good suggestion that's got a LOT of fish catches under its belt. In line with what Mike mentions above, that's what you'll find on Jack Hammers and probably some others. They use a size 2 Decoy egg snap. Knock on wood, I've never had one break. You could try a bigger size 3 for more strength?

I've not tried split rings, though I can't see why they wouldn't work provided you can attach them without substantially weakening them. My issue with split rings would of course be the potential of breakoffs from the knot landing in the crotch which feels like it could be more likely with a bladed jig than with other techniques? Maybe not, crankbaits and jerkbaits dart around a lot too. In the same breath, I don't see why an oval split ring wouldn't work, again, provided you could get it on without opening it up too much.

FWIW, I did try the "power clips" (for example: https://www.amazon.com/TACTICAL-ANGL.../dp/B07KJWD56P) and found that they wanted to bind up on the blade and would not work. I was super bummed because I thought they'd be an incredible option as they're so strong. The issue is that they're pointed on the ends so the blade tends to wedge one way or the other and stick. Really wish someone would make them rounded on the ends as they'd be an unbeatable option...and as I quickly peak through Tackle Warehouse it looks like the P-Line branded version might actually be that? Might be something worth trying, though I digress.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Once you try using a split ring, you will then know why they don’t use split rings lol

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Once you try using a split ring, you will then know why they don’t use split rings lol

6. Member
    If using standard type snaps once the snap is installed there is really no need to remove them so I just carefully bend the round ends of the snap closed around the wire with some needle nose pliers . If you ever have to change them after that you have to cut them off but they won't open .

7. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'll experiment a little.

Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    If using standard type snaps once the snap is installed there is really no need to remove them so I just carefully bend the round ends of the snap closed around the wire with some needle nose pliers . If you ever have to change them after that you have to cut them off but they won't open .
    THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments