Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

How many guys actually tune there trolling motor????

Playing on the web today came across some videos of tuning the lower end on a trolling motor, how many acxtually do this to there tm's ,just wondering I guess it couldn't hurt...lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    never heard of it...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

got a link?

4. #FRB
    If you're talking about adjusting the armature for maximum power, I've done it on a couple. Also seems like a good way to pinch the seal too if you're not careful. I did "tune" my Ultrex because I knocked it out of whack on a big rock so didn't have a choice, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    If you're talking about adjusting the armature for maximum power, I've done it on a couple. Also seems like a good way to pinch the seal too if you're not careful. I did "tune" my Ultrex because I knocked it out of whack on a big rock so didn't have a choice, lol.
    i did it on my evinrude maxuum seemed to help some??x
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    It does help. It could help a lot and if it does it means the magnets or the brush holder are not where they should be. I am happy that my Minnkota 80# works satisfactorily with the skeg aligned with the shaft. I don't need the couple of extra pounds of thrust it gives. If you do tune it you take a chance of causing leaks with old O'rings.

LINK?
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    LINK?
    youtube.com and search for tuning a trolling motor.

Here was a link that shows the concept well.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Little more difficult with an Ultrex or Terrova sense they don't power up in the stow position But I get the jest of it
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If I did this my whole troller foot would fall apart and that would be something else that I'd need to pay for.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I've done this to my old Maxium and Fortrex but haven't had to do it to my Ultrex. Plus, you'd have to deploy the Ultrex to do this since it won't run in the stowed position. It did make some what of a difference tho. I would recommend using the Prop Nut as it will center your prop which will help to balance it. ( Wonder if that guy noticed that as he tightened the 1/4" bolts, the casing moved back to the right !! )
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

LOL Just took a look at my Ultrex and this isn’t something you can do with an Ultrex

The shaft connects to the main barrel of the motor (Center) unlike the older motors that the shaft connect to the front portion of the motor

And since the skeg needs to be vertical and is in the back and the nose needs to be aligned with the two 1/4” bolts there really isn’t anything you can adjust

"The handicapped angler"

I have on my Maxxum and Fortrex. Made a difference.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    When I looked at my ultrex earlier this season, my skeg had been moved by a rock I slightly loosened the bolts and was able to move it back straight ,didn't try to tune it but will check again when the weather warms but mine is an older 2019or 2020 model not like the one picture in that post in the thread that MichAngler posted
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

15. Member
    Keep in mind. Turning that brush card for so called more performance also pulls the wires closer to the spinning armature. There isn’t much room for everything in there as it is , if the mfg wanted the brush card turned more they would have done it. Just food for thought.

16. Member
    I remember that both Brad and the late John Jones never thought it was a good idea. However, if banging around on rocks, might be different

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=901479
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

17. Member
    Is it April 1st already? Where has the time gone?

May need a tune to enter trolling mtr race.

Seriously -- I've never had one of the newer motors I felt lacked in power. When I went to 36 volt - had to turn it down---nearly threw me out.

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    LOL Just took a look at my Ultrex and this isn’t something you can do with an Ultrex

The shaft connects to the main barrel of the motor (Center) unlike the older motors that the shaft connect to the front portion of the motor

And since the skeg needs to be vertical and is in the back and the nose needs to be aligned with the two 1/4” bolts there really isn’t anything you can adjust

Did you watch the video? I think you're confused about what we're discussing here. You can do what we're discussing on an Ultrex. I know this because I've had to tune mine after a big rock got it rotated several degrees out of whack. I can see in the picture you provided which part turns. A couple bolts behind the prop can be backed out a little to do this.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 02-05-2023 at 11:23 AM.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I remember that both Brad and the late John Jones never thought it was a good idea. However, if banging around on rocks, might be different

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=901479
    Smacking a rock tunes it for you and usually doesn't do it anywhere close to right, lol. Thought I ruined my Ultrex one day until it dawned on me what had happened and remembered that I had been down that road before.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast