MinnKota Digital for LiPo???

Are these able to charge LiPo batteries? From what I can tell they are supposed to be able to reading on their site. Thoughts?
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    That's a big NO for most brands, check with the battery manufacture but its a NO for IONIC
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    As Drew said big ol fat no for every brand of lithium I know of and fat no for PowerHouse. I'd love to ask Minn Kota what lithium a digital will actually properly charge.

4. Member
    The only place it says lithium is on the front page of the marketing page for that charger. The manual says different. Lithium is not supported for that charger. Hopefully someone will fix that on the site. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The only place it says lithium is on the front page of the marketing page for that charger. The manual says different. Lithium is not supported for that charger. Hopefully someone will fix that on the site. Bob
    I agree Bob they need to fix that causes alot of confusion

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses. They definitely do advertise these supporting LiPo. Main description says this: Supported Battery Types: 12v AGM, 12v Flooded Lead Acid, 12v Lithium LiFePO4
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

7. Member
    Well like mentioned, MK made an error there. However, their PC series can charge the popular lithiums. It has a selectable AGM setting, which will charge most lithiums safely. The D (digital) series does not have a selectable AGM setting.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    What is causing it to be unacceptable for lithium batteries?

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the MK digital and most all chargers that are all in one lead acid/agm use a multistage profile where they vary the voltage and amps, charge then rest and charge again and also have desulfation” mode or equalizer mode for lead acid allowing the voltage to go up to 15v
    its very important that a LifoPo gets constant current, 14.2 to 14.6v start to finish then float

and not to confuse those who check this on your app but while a charger is charging with 14.6 you may only see 13.4 to 13.6 for a while when the charger is under load but as it reached 100% you will see the voltage increase to around 14V
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    What is causing it to be unacceptable for lithium batteries?
    I have seen one turn a 50ah battery into a 40ah or less, it will charge in a way that it will train the BMS to thinking its 100% charged but never get the battery above 13.2 to 13.4v , it will cut off and show 13.4 at 99% and when you start using the battery under load it will fall off very quickly dropping to 12.5 to 12.8v , the more cycles its charged like this it will get worse
    this can usually be corrected by draining the battery to zero to 10% and charging correctly with 14.6 cc and after a few cycles the battery will start to perform at 100% like new
    info@drewcraft.com

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    also best to avoid the Pro Mariner Pro sport 20 or BPS/Cabelas version
    info@drewcraft.com

12. Member
    Is it just me or does it seem that this charging business, especially for lithium batteries, has gotten way out of hand?

13. Member
    What are you meaning. It is either a Lithium charger or a couple others that have a compatible charging sequence approved by your batteries maker. Different batteries have slightly different specs setup to what they think works best with their design. LiFePO4 has the same charging rules they had from the beginning.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem that this charging business, especially for lithium batteries, has gotten way out of hand?
    No its pretty cut and dry. A minn kota digital doesn't work. You either have a minn kota precision on the agm setting for 99 percent of lithium or a lithium compatible charger . Nothing out of hand bout it.

15. Member
    Why wouldn’t a person run the MK Precision on the lithium profile, instead of the AGM?

Would running a lithium as the cranker, shorten its lifespan, since it’s always charged full? Seems like I read that they don’t like to be at full charge, but I’m just now learning about all of this tech. Would the run and gun type of chargers do the same (if it hurts the lithium cranker) to the TM batteries, shorten their lifespan?

Thanks

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Why wouldn’t a person run the MK Precision on the lithium profile, instead of the AGM? Thanks
    The charger being referenced is the MKPC. It has an AGM setting, but not a lithium setting. The new MKPCL has a lithium setting.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    The charger being referenced is the MKPC. It has an AGM setting, but not a lithium setting. The new MKPCL has a lithium setting.

Ahhh, I didn’t realize they had 2 different precision models out (obviously updated), thank you.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    exactly. Pcl is lithium
    PC does not have lithium setting but can charge most lithiums using there agm setting /algorithm.

19. Member
    Podcast. PM sent
    Last edited by bobcoy; 02-06-2023 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Wrong addresse