Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Update: Tanner, the pure fishing guy says my elongation numbers are too high. I did a bunch of tests with my clamping system yesterday and I think what is going on is I am getting more stretch in my clamping system than I thought I was. Not a 100% diagnosis i'm waiting to hear back from Tanner if the updated numbers are more in line with what they say.

This has been a fun project for me. It all started because I hate paying a lot of money for fishing line. So I decided to use my experience to build a machine to test fishing line. I'm one guy in a little apartment, building and paying for everything myself. I've spent a significant amount of money on this for sure! I thought since I was paying all this money to build the machine it would be cool to have a simple website to share my results. I'm not a fishing line expert. Tanner from pure fishing has a lot more fishing line knowledge than I do so when he said my numbers were off I wanted to get my numbers closer to his. For obvious reasons he can't give details but I hope he can say if the adjusted numbers I sent him are something pure fishing would agree with. I've been drawing in cad this weekend trying to design a new clamping system that will work with my machine. If it works I will update all my reports.

I have been working on the website to make it better. The database page will have links to each individual report. That should help a lot with finding them.

Fishing line sensitivity. it's obviously very important. How to measure it is perplexing for sure! I've been thinking about trying an accelerometer. Has to be a way to measure it!

That’s awesome Tom. Hope you get it figured out and continue to test
    Also interested to hear about your experiment with trying to quantify sensitivity. Definitely a tough attribute to test reliably

3. Member
    Can anybody help me understand why each of the braided lines on that site have a fraction of abrasion resistance of what is exhibited by either monofilament, copolymer, or fluorocarbon?

My personal experience has been the opposite.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

4. Member
    Thanks for the follow via PM, Tom. My experience doesn’t really include dragging line across sharp rocks or oyster bars, or really anything comparable. Lots of underwater wood structure, and vegetation. And definitely the occasional above water tree limb, lol. In those situations, my experience has been more frequently retying with anything but braid. The combo I use for T-rigged weightless senkos in pads, grass, cypress knees is always on deck. I can only recall retying maybe three times in the last year…twice was because the hook rusted from the salt, and the other was a break-off after setting the hook into a log, lol. But before I switched to braid, a few errant casts into an overhead limb meant retying due to frays or nicks from the tree.

I guess I’m wondering if all “abrasion” is created equal. I’m definitely not knocking the work, or the results. I can definitely see where something sharp would cut fibers in braid
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I think the stretch characteristics are just different. Braid is the most sensitive because of zero stretch, fluoro has next to zero stretch with lure weight / fish bites, and mono has enough stretch and rebound to dull sensitivity under regular lure weight.

While in a lab, fully loaded stretch is easy to measure and quantify, in real life the only time you approach anywhere near fully loaded is boat flipping a big fish.
    Braid is only more sensitive when the line is taut. It has no intrinsic sensitivity, unlike flouro, copolymer or mono. If you tried to do old string between two paper cups with limp braid, you get nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Good info.
    I've fished enough to know what works best for me in different applications. Do I use the same line for each?-- NO.
    Will I let something I've read change my mind about anything I've found to work through trial and error? -- NO.
    The data I've accumulated in 40 years of fishing is what determines which tool I choose for the task at hand.
    This
    And for me that's flouro for just about everything ,, no way I could ever go back to spring string (mono) well except for backing on a reel

7. Member
    Now you must test people's hands and arms for sensitivity. Someone said they cannot feel the crankbait with mono. I have been fishing cranks with mono since age of 9. I have no issue feeling my crankbait. Have used flour also, no issue with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123