Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I had a Weber propane for years. It excelled at cranking up to 500 or 600 degrees in 5 min. Good quick cooking and good for steaks/hamburgers.

I now have a Grilla Grills Silverbac pellet grill. It heats up slow as heck (20-30 min to get to 500) so I'm not nearly as happy with quick cooking and searing steaks/burgers. This grill excels at low, steady "smoking" type activities (ribs, pulled pork, chicken). Set and forget the thermostat. Mine didn't initially put out as much smoke as I expected so I added a cheap smoke tube off of amazon and now I'm good to go.

2. Member
    I bought a Pit Boss last year that I’ve now sold and have gone back to propane. I’m basic when it comes to grilling. I want to fire it up quickly and be done. The Pit Boss was excellent at low and slow. Just not my grilling style so I’m back to propane.

3. Member
    I do not think I will ever use the rabbit pellets.

4. Member
    I use my Weber gas for grilling. Bought a Z Grill pellet grill and was very disappointed in the lack of smoke flavor compared to my Weber Smokey Mountain

5. Member
    Actually bought a Broil King propane grille and a Traeger 575 smoker at the same time a couple of years ago just in case we didn’t like the smoker. The Broil King has a seat station too which is used to reverse sear steaks.

After 2 plus years of use, we have maybe use two cylinders of propane and hundreds of pounds of pellets.

We absolutely love the smoker. You can use it just like an oven for really anything and it is no work at all to keep a constant temperature.

6. Member
    Get a pellet grill/smoker. You will not regret it.

7. Member
    Go pellet then you’ll be asking yourself why you didn’t years ago. I’ve got a pit boss. I can put a couple racks of ribs in it no problem. Best part. Put a brisket or pork butt or whatever else you want to do a long smoke on it at night. Make sure the hopper is full. Go to bed. Wake up and it’s done or close to done. It’s seriously the lazy man’s smoker/grill and it’s great.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

8. Member
    I have been using pellet grill (Traeger) for over 20 years, and I love them for smoking. For grilling, I use charcoal smoker/grills (Kamado Joe, Oklahoma Joe Bronco). I only use propane for flat tops.

I have a combo, two lids. Gas on one charcoal on the other. They make a triple pellet/charcoal and gas also.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

If I had to choose one then it would be a pellet grill but that’s because I enjoy smoking. If you don’t do any smoking then go with propane. I have a Recteq and love it.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

Pellet, it does it all.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

12. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I have both, and personally use the propane way more. I know you can get great results smoking, but most of the time I'm coming home from work and just want to cook the burger / steak / brat whatever and don't feel like waiting for the pellet. My pellet grill (camp chef) also doesn't seem to get as hot as some of the other pellet grills, so that's probably part of why I don't use it much.

You can fire up the grill and cook the steak by the time it takes a pellet grill to get to temp..
    Now,, if I have all day then I do enjoy a wood or charcoal grilled steak now and then...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

13. Member
    If your furnace is natural gas, I'd go with a natural gas BBQ, no more running out of propane at the worst time !

14. Member
    I went from charcoal to propane because I thought it would be easier, worst mistake I ever made when it comes to grills. I've used 1 tank of propane and it's been sitting under it's cover ever since (a little over a year I think). Now I'm thinking about getting a pellet grill/smoker.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

15. Member
    My wife got me a Treager pro series pellet which i had for only a few months before we ended up selling it. It dit not get hot enough to really sear a steak well and for smoking i did not find the flavor to be there either. Convenient and easy yes but meh otherwise, overall not at all impressed with it. I went back to a 22" weber kettle which does pretty much everything better.

My inlaws bought a Weber pellet and its gets a little hotter then my Treager did but im still not impressed. I can still do everything it can do on a $99 kettle.

We have both and the propane gets used more by far. Fast heat up with an easy sear, it's just more convenient. For more flavor I'll occasionally pull out the charcoal.

17. Member
    Bought 2 new pitboss pellet grills this past November. One for my house and one for the cabin. Best money I've spent in a while. No way I'd ever go back to propane
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

18. Member
    I had one of those stupid green egg things. Never could get it to heat up. Read the directions multiple times. Kept having to relight it. I recently gave it to my neighbor who is one of those jackasses that doesn't even cook his steak anyway and loves to tell everyone that, so it will probably be perfect for him.

19. Member
    I finally switched to a Weber propane grill about 5-6 years ago and use it a lot. If for some reason it becomes unusable in the distant future, I'll get another. I have a Weber charcoal grill that I use as well. Those plus a Weber smoker, in my minds eye, can't justify going pellet.

Pellet!!!!
    "Before the beginning of great brilliance, you must have chaos."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast