Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Three 12s or one 36v lithium. Getting ready to upgrade

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 36v Fortrex. Currently running an old Maxxum 70 with lead acid batteries.
    I dont really want to add a 3rd big battery to the Triton so looking to go lithium.
    What is the consensus out there to get 3 12v lithiums which would also require me to upgrade my charger
    Or a single 36v dedicated to my TM that comes with a 10a charger and just keep my AGM cranking/electronics battery still using existing charger.

What have any of you done and do you still like using the lithiums?
    Would you recommend the 36v which is what I am leaning to do or the single 12s?
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

2. Member
    personally, I run Relion and I use individual 12v batteries. reason, you can overcome a single failed 12v battery, but a single 36v, your screwed

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    personally, I run Relion and I use individual 12v batteries. reason, you can overcome a single failed 12v battery, but a single 36v, your screwed
    THIS^^^^^^^^
    Get in a bind. Hard to come up with 3 batteries to get you by.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

4. Member
    I run a single 36. Have not had an issue yet. I get the reasoning behind the 3 12 volts though. Didn’t have room in my bilge for 3 12 volt batteries.

5. Member
    I'm doing the same research now... Here are some of my findings/thoughts/considerations.

1. Does your current on-board charger support lifepo4 12v charging? If yes, 3x12v may be the best option for you. If not, see #2 because reprogramming your current charger for lifepo4 isn't always the best or fiscally responsible option. In my case I'm trying to keep it a simple plug in one cord and walk away so I'll probably by 3x12v lifepo4s, sell my current charger and buy a lifepo4 compatible charger.

2. A single 36v 40+ah is all that's needed for a lot of days on the water that don't involve strong current, winds or running with the TM on high. A pair of 36v 40ah lifepo4s in parallel covers almost any fishing day and provides backup in case of a battery failure.

3. If you go the Aliexpress, overseas route it seems as though you can get better value going the 36v route.

I went with a single 24volt. I already carry a Noco jump starter as a backup, so using one of the trolling 12volts to help charge or boost the cranking battery is a mute point for me

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRFANIM View Post
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 36v Fortrex. Currently running an old Maxxum 70 with lead acid batteries.
    I dont really want to add a 3rd big battery to the Triton so looking to go lithium.
    What is the consensus out there to get 3 12v lithiums which would also require me to upgrade my charger
    Or a single 36v dedicated to my TM that comes with a 10a charger and just keep my AGM cranking/electronics battery still using existing charger.

What have any of you done and do you still like using the lithiums?
    Would you recommend the 36v which is what I am leaning to do or the single 12s?
    Would love to talk to you about this system

I would go (2) 36v, many benefits as well as cost savings over 12v-100ah's.

Bill

205-965-8436

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Happy to go over the Powerhouse lithium options 3 12 vs single 36 vs duel 36 volt. As well as we can give you a bundle deal with lithiums and a fortrex that im betting can't be beat. 15 year warranty with 10 years non proration PowerHouse is the class leader in lithium warranty.

9. Member
    I'm using 2 Chinese 36v LiFePO4 batteries now. I use 2 chargers that came with them, that aren't onboard chargers and have alligator clips. I used 1 all last year and recently added the 2nd one. I like the idea of if 1 goes dead or goofs up, I still have a 1 full power 36v battery. That said, the ones I'm using cost less than just 1 US brand battery. I never had a problem last year running only 1 of them, just wanted 2 for peace of mind.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2004 Optimax S/N: 0T795443

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknitro View Post
    I'm using 2 Chinese 36v LiFePO4 batteries now. I use 2 chargers that came with them, that aren't onboard chargers and have alligator clips. I used 1 all last year and recently added the 2nd one. I like the idea of if 1 goes dead or goofs up, I still have a 1 full power 36v battery. That said, the ones I'm using cost less than just 1 US brand battery. I never had a problem last year running only 1 of them, just wanted 2 for peace of mind.
    More specifics about your batteries?

11. Member
    They're 50AH LiFePO4 batteries, with 50A BMS. I bought them on AliExpress. They come with some pretty cheesy looking 10A chargers. The chargers do work, but seem like they'd break if dropped or something. The only real issue with buying them is they take months to get. Mine took 3-4 months to arrive.

12. Member
    Funny this opinion of running 2-36 volt batteries for "redundancy'. Since when did anyone run an extra battery with AGM/Lead acid batteries for "redundancy". If Lithium batteries are so much better then the aforementioned then why do you need/want to spend extra money to carry an extra battery "just in case". I am not saying Lithium batteries are not better, they are in many ways, however if having redundancy is something we need then maybe the question is how reliable are Lithium batteries? I already have a 4 bank charger that will work for lithium's, i AM A 3-12V AND 1-12V JUST WORKS FOR ME.

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Funny this opinion of running 2-36 volt batteries for "redundancy'. Since when did anyone run an extra battery with AGM/Lead acid batteries for "redundancy". If Lithium batteries are so much better then the aforementioned then why do you need/want to spend extra money to carry an extra battery "just in case". I am not saying Lithium batteries are not better, they are in many ways, however if having redundancy is something we need then maybe the question is how reliable are Lithium batteries? I already have a 4 bank charger that will work for lithium's, i AM A 3-12V AND 1-12V JUST WORKS FOR ME.
    Exactly. Absolutely without a doubt part of the snake farm sales promotion.

14. Member
    Gotta agree with this sentiment. While running 3 AGM I never even considered a “back-up”. Why is everyone thinking about it now for lithium?
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

15. Member
    bgibson, I don't disagree with you at all. I haven't had a lithium battery fail, but I do indeed have 2, not trusting the new technology just yet. Interestingly, my boat won't fit 3 trolling batteries, oil tank and a cranking battery in the same compartment. It's a 1996 boat that came with a 24V trolling motor. When I ran 3 12V batteries for years, I had to lose some storage and move the oil tank into another storage compartment. I feel spoiled now, able to fit 2 36V batteries and getting a storage compartment back. This is my unfortunate situation with an undersized battery compartment:

20230102_145737.jpg
    Last edited by blacknitro; 02-05-2023 at 07:28 PM.

16. Member
    I hear you and gotta admit, your rear area looks really nice and neat. Imagine the room if you only had one battery though. Just messing with you. We all do what we must to feel comfortable. I’m also running LiFePO batteries direct from China. On my second year now with no issues at all.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    While 36 volt batteries work for some , alot of my sales are 3 12 volts still . What it comes down to is if someone has a lithium charger or lithium compatible charger already. For some they want to go dedicated electronics lithium and do not have the space or room to put in a 5th battery so they go single or twin 36 volts. In most cases running twin 36 is not about :redundancy" . While it is a nice thing to have just in case, it's not the reason there going with twin in parallel . Most times a customer or us based on talking to the customer finds that say our single 36 volt 60 ah is not enough for there particular application.. We offer 40 ah 36 volts so putting twin 36 volt 40 ah puts them at 80 ah . Much less expensive then going to 120 ah (unneeded by most) with twin 60 ah . The double redundancy is a bonus it's not a "snake farm sales promotion " If a customer doesn't already have a lithium compatible charger then he's looking at buying a new 4 bank charger. Average cost say 400.00 . With our run and gun chargers 189.99 we can utilize there current charger (no charger to buy) give them both on water as well as off water charging (with there current non compatible charger ) . The cost say to someone going (3) 12 volt 60 ah with say a minn kota 440 pcl from us is $1817.50. We can put them into twin 36 volt 40 ah with a run and gun charger for $1934.98. So for $117.48 there getting 20 more ah, charge on the run technology, on water charging plus " double redundancy" I'd take it for 117 bucks!! Now if a customer has a lithium compatible 4 bank charger like BGibson it pays to prob stay w 12 volts. Can't speak for other lithium salesman bloodman but we always give all options with pricing to the customer so they can make a informed decision. We never try to oversell.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 02-05-2023 at 09:15 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Gotta agree with this sentiment. While running 3 AGM I never even considered a “back-up”. Why is everyone thinking about it now for lithium?
    I don't have lithium yet but am considering it. My thought on redundancy is this: I have bad luck with electrical stuff. In my experience, any product that has something in it that looks like the photo below can (and probably will if I own it ) go kaput for no apparent reason at some point. Lead-acid and AGM batteries didn't have a circuit board in them, so far less to go wrong.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverZX View Post
    I don't have lithium yet but am considering it. My thought on redundancy is this: I have bad luck with electrical stuff. In my experience, any product that has something in it that looks like the photo below can (and probably will if I own it ) go kaput for no apparent reason at some point. Lead-acid and AGM batteries didn't have a circuit board in them, so far less to go wrong.

This is true your batteries now with lithium have electrical component, circuit boards, lots of soldered connections etc. This is why a good battery with a good warranty a company that has great customer service, and fast replacement should a problem arise becomes very important.

20. Member
    I went with one 36v battery for more room to add pumps in the future and added a 16v for graphs. I wanted to leave room to add pumps in the future. Definitely contact KandK Kustomz if you have any questions. Took good care of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast