C) Greenwood
    D) Murray
    E) Jocassee
    F) Keowee
    G) Russell
    H) Santee
    I) Wateree
    J) Wylie

I realize some are better for numbers. Some size. This ranking is just for overall bass fishing enjoyment. Could be ranked just on your personal preference. To keep from typing out every lake you can just rank the letters. I listed the lakes alphabetically. If you haven’t fished them all just rank what you have.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    Santee
    Murray
    Wateree
    Lake X
    Stumpy Pond
    Hartwell
    Clark's Hill
    Greenwood
    Russell
    Jocassee
    Wylie
    Keowee

3. Member
    It's been 30 + years since I've been to Santee or Wateree. I go to Wylie quite a bit. It's close. I catch enough to have fun. I've been to Jocassee once. I wasn't prepared for the deep clear water. I've never been to any of the others listed. My Sister in Law lives a couple miles from Hartwell. I've got to get down there sometime.

I live in NC, 1/2 mile from SC.

4. Banned
    Hartwell
    clarks hill
    Hartwell
    Hartwell
    hartwell
    hartwell
    clarks hill
    hartwell
    hartwell
    hartwell

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    Lake X
    Where is Lake X? Never heard of it.

6. Member
    Murray
    clark hill
    hartwell
    santee
    greenwood
    I love Santee but people struggle with catching a limit there. And for me that’s the reason for the low ranking.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

7. Member
    Hartwell and Clarks Hill a little far for me but heard its pretty good.

Santee
    Wateree
    Murray
    Monticello
    Wylie

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Jocassee (just for the beauty)
    Hartwell
    Keowee
    Russell
    Da Hill
    Greenwood
    Murray
    Santee
    the rest never fished.

Overall enjoyment. 6 months out of the year I would remove any big lake with rec traffic. Murray, Hartwell especially.

still need to get to Hartwell been focusing on unlocking Keowee

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrat View Post
    still need to get to Hartwell been focusing on unlocking Keowee
    Wait until you get down to Russell.

12. Member
    Santee
    Wateree
    Murray
    CH
    Monticello

1-Santee
    2-Santee
    3-Santee
    4-Santee
    5-Santee
    6-Santee
    7-Santee
    8-Santee
    9-Santee
    10-Santee

I’am a little biased!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    A) Clark Hill
    B) Hartwell
    C) Greenwood
    D) Murray
    E) Jocassee
    F) Keowee
    G) Russell
    H) Santee
    I) Wateree
    J) Wylie

I realize some are better for numbers. Some size. This ranking is just for overall bass fishing enjoyment. Could be ranked just on your personal preference. To keep from typing out every lake you can just rank the letters. I listed the lakes alphabetically. If you haven’t fished them all just rank what you have.
    Lake X = Monticello I bet

15. Member
    Santee-can be tough but has the biggest bass in the state
    Murray- Is on fire been taking 25-30LB every week yesterday you had to have almost 18 to cut a check in the BFL 40 places
    Hartwell-If it didnt get all the pressure it would likely be higher
    Clarks hill-One of my favorites but has declined some from yesteryears
    Lake Monticello-small lake with lots of pressure but has some giant that show up when they move water. If the lake has no current go home or to murrary
    Wateree-would be #2 but had an epic decline 10yrs ago 30LBs was winning and 17LB to get a check now 17LBs is winning
    Wylie-same as wateree fishing is starting to come back but it still sucks spots have ruined this lake along with pollution from floods
    Greenwood-spot are ruining this lake as well.
    Jocassee-im not a clear water guy I fished it 3 times in 20 yrs. Last year I went in april and seen the biggest bass ive ever saw on a bed in SC and couldnt get her to bite may explore this lake again this year tho
    Keowee-took 23LB there yesterday and a 10LB was caught there last week still im biased to clear water. I hate this lake with a passion. If you go in the summer its the worst experience you will ever have. BOAT TRAFFIC LIKE NO OTHER
    Russell-used to be my home lake another lake spots have absolutely destroyed. 30yrs ago it was one of the best lake with the submerged forrests and the stocked trout. Forrest have rotted now, they quit stocking the trout like they were. GA is currently stocking this lake with Florida strain bass hopefully that helps this lake out.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCONflyer200 View Post
    Santee-can be tough but has the biggest bass in the state
    Murray- Is on fire been taking 25-30LB every week yesterday you had to have almost 18 to cut a check in the BFL 40 places
    Hartwell-If it didnt get all the pressure it would likely be higher
    Clarks hill-One of my favorites but has declined some from yesteryears
    Lake Monticello-small lake with lots of pressure but has some giant that show up when they move water. If the lake has no current go home or to murrary
    Wateree-would be #2 but had an epic decline 10yrs ago 30LBs was winning and 17LB to get a check now 17LBs is winning
    Wylie-same as wateree fishing is starting to come back but it still sucks spots have ruined this lake along with pollution from floods
    Greenwood-spot are ruining this lake as well.
    Jocassee-im not a clear water guy I fished it 3 times in 20 yrs. Last year I went in april and seen the biggest bass ive ever saw on a bed in SC and couldnt get her to bite may explore this lake again this year tho
    Keowee-took 23LB there yesterday and a 10LB was caught there last week still im biased to clear water. I hate this lake with a passion. If you go in the summer its the worst experience you will ever have. BOAT TRAFFIC LIKE NO OTHER
    Russell-used to be my home lake another lake spots have absolutely destroyed. 30yrs ago it was one of the best lake with the submerged forrests and the stocked trout. Forrest have rotted now, they quit stocking the trout like they were. GA is currently stocking this lake with Florida strain bass hopefully that helps this lake out.
    I don't have a lot of experience with spots other than Hartwell.
    Why do you say spots have ruined these lakes you mentioned?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post

they haven’t ruined any of these lakes…..only made them better. Hartwell is as full of largemouth as ever and has giant spots in it. Clark’s hill is still loaded with largemouth and the spots have just boosted the bass population. Wylie went through a horrible cycle long before the spots got in it but thankfully the spots are bringing the lake back. Russell is a very fun lake. Can’t speak for greenwood as I’ve never fished it but I’m sure it’s a fine fishery just like the rest of the lakes mid to up state. The people that claim “spots ruined the lakes” don’t know what they’re talking about.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    3 main reasons 1 they are super aggressive which is a good thing sometimes for you an me when the large mouth are not biting . The bad part about that they compete with the LM for the food. 2 they reproduce 2 times a year so they reproduce faster than the LM. 3 once the largemouth fry hatch they eat the LM fry. If you witnessed what happened to lake russell from 30yrs ago to today You saw it. Yes many factors come into play like the lake peaking forrests rotting, them not stocking as many trout and the introduction of spots. Lake RussellComing out of that peak LM populations struggling then spot were introduced and the LM just couldn't compete with the spots. With fishing pressure and the spotted bass the lake is no longer stocking it self naturally with LM. Yes there is still LM in the lake and if you know the niche to catch the LM you can still catch them but not like before. Im watching the same trends happen the same way as what happened to Russell. Wylie, Greenwood and Clark Hill are all at the beginning of this trend if you noticed the last 2 or 3 years wylie is just horrible. Tourneys taking 10-12LBs to win and Greenwood was the same way. Before spots were in Gwood it was 20LBs at least every week or it was load the boat up and tuck your tail home with 35LB bags being possible. Some of these lakes can sustain better than others but in SC where its kill the grass native or not the LM fry have no where to hide from the spots. Dont get me wrong I love to catch spots but I love catching 6-10LB LM more. The clubs im fishing in Spartanburg area all 5 of them we rarely see a fish over 5LBs. One club is running a 7Lb and over pot and it hasnt been hit in 2.5 yrs.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    they haven’t ruined any of these lakes…..only made them better. Hartwell is as full of largemouth as ever and has giant spots in it. Clark’s hill is still loaded with largemouth and the spots have just boosted the bass population. Wylie went through a horrible cycle long before the spots got in it but thankfully the spots are bringing the lake back. Russell is a very fun lake. Can’t speak for greenwood as I’ve never fished it but I’m sure it’s a fine fishery just like the rest of the lakes mid to up state. The people that claim “spots ruined the lakes” don’t know what they’re talking about.
    Did you ever fish in these lakes in 80s, 90s? catching 30-50 1.5 to 3LB spots isn't as fun to me as throwing spinnerbaits over the top of submerged trees and almost getting your arm broke with 5-11LB bass you may only catch 5-10 a day. Doesnt happen anymore at Russell with the big fish. Hartwell has prob held up the best with spots still a 20LB at best lake rare 25LB day here or there. Yes they had 23 there last week with 2 8LBs weighted rest of the year 20LB lake at best. Anybody that says spots made a lake better is somebody who couldn't catch 5 largemouth to begin with. Like I said you can still catch LM but that changes eventually time will tell. You bring in your 5 best spots that everyone is catching in a tourney and the 1 or 2 people who found the LM are gonna laugh you off the ramp. Hartwell as good as it has ever been? Im guesing your like 25 yrs old and didnt see these lake shine. I could be wrong. If you think Hartwell is the best lake in the state you havent made it 4 hours southwest many times where 25 to 30LBs sacks are the norm.

20. Member
    Good points guys.
    I went to Hartwell last year and caught a ton of 2 lb spots off all points.
    Prior to that, never caught many spots in lakes I fish.
    Were they fun? Yea I guess so, but I'm a largemouth guy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast