Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    There is no natural reproduction of stripers in Lake Murray or its tributaries. It's strictly a put-and-take fishery. More than 1 million striped-bass fingerlings are stocked each year by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, and they grow fast and fat. It takes current and salinity to hatch a striper.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCONflyer200 View Post
    There is no natural reproduction of stripers in Lake Murray or its tributaries. It's strictly a put-and-take fishery. More than 1 million striped-bass fingerlings are stocked each year by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, and they grow fast and fat. It takes current and salinity to hatch a striper.

So only in Murray can they not reproduce? I don’t believe that. Stripers can reproduce. They are a saltwater fish that runs up into freshwater to spawn. Nature hasn’t taken that away from them even though the rivers are now damned. If it is true it’s the first I’ve ever heard. Hybrids are the sterile ones.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

3. Member
    It's my understanding that there's very few places where landlocked Stripers can reproduce. The need moving water.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    So only in Murray can they not reproduce? I don’t believe that. Stripers can reproduce. They are a saltwater fish that runs up into freshwater to spawn. Nature hasn’t taken that away from them even though the rivers are now damned. If it is true it’s the first I’ve ever heard. Hybrids are the sterile ones.
    They can spawn they are not sterile but with out current it wont be successful. google it if you dont believe me it is what I did That text up above is from google. If they dont have enough current they will not hatch they have to tumble in current for 72 hours before they incubate. Most of our lakes the current is all dictated by how they run the dam creating power. They have been stocking Clarks hill for 30 years if they reproduced SUCCESSFULLY there wouldn't be a need to stock. Some will hatch most will not.

5. Banned
    You sc guys crack me up. You have some of the best lakes in the southeast and cry about it…..and now some of you don’t even know that stripers don’t reproduce in lakes

I do have some great news for y’all. I found spotted bass on eBay and we should all buy a few bags and take them to all the lakes that don’t have them and fill them up…..see link below to contribute

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15504222810...mis&media=COPY

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I think he means SCDNR is killing the grass.

we have the same problem in nc. If a single blade of grass grows in a lake it’s an all out effort to spray every square inch of that body of water. The ncwrc has ruined some of the best bass fisheries this world has ever seen and now trying to stick f1s in lakes that have no cover. Idiots. And they love to stick grass carp too.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by :roll:kb_rn View Post
    You sc guys crack me up. You have some of the best lakes in the southeast and cry about it…..and now some of you don’t even know that stripers don’t reproduce in lakes

I do have some great news for y’all. I found spotted bass on eBay and we should all buy a few bags and take them to all the lakes that don’t have them and fill them up…..see link below to contribute

On your last statement!! I looked for the one with the middle finger up couldn't find it so this will have to do.

8. Banned
    On your last statement!! I looked for the one with the middle finger up couldn't find it so this will have to do.
    you set the hook in a few 3 lb spots and you'll get over it

9. Member

Haha your prob right I'm going after these tho caught this one last week got my 5 bites only had 27lbs tho. No spot in this lake it's terrible. FB_IMG_1676052944142.jpg²

10. Member
    Isn't that against the law hope that was joke , I've lived on murray for 49 yrs and if I want to catch spots I have plenty of options and I go do that but for some reason I still try to target lm for the check,unless your on a couple lakes there's pretty good ones
    Last edited by 2dwoods; 02-16-2023 at 06:20 AM.

11. Banned

Haha prob right I'm going after these tho caught this one last week got my 5 bites only had 27lbs tho. No spot in this lake it's terrible. FB_IMG_1676052944142.jpg²

Looks like a hartwell bag to me

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post

If you're paying $49 apiece for spotted bass I'll get some bigger ones to sell you this weekend.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    If you're paying $49 apiece for spotted bass I'll get some bigger ones to sell you this weekend.

alabama spots are worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by BobD2369 View Post
    The Cabela's Big Bass Tour is next weekend right after the Elite series, April 28,29,30. Yep, Murray is getting fished hard!
    There have been 150+ boat tournaments every weekend for the past 6 weeks on it, and only more pressure coming. It's insane to me that there isn't regulation on tournament frequency on these lakes. It actually makes fun fishing a headache during the week with all the practices leading up to them.

so been to 4 so far,
    Hartwell
    Jocasse
    Murray
    Keowee

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What you think so far?

17. Member
    Our club had T on Murray this past Saturday. we only had 8 boats, everyone brought in bass. Winning bag was 21.3 with 6.5BF. 3 more bags over 18, a 15Lb and a 13Lb bag

https://lancasterscbassmasters.godaddysites.com

I came in 3rd with 18.7. Ha ha no spots all LMB. We got on em in a small pocket, bass had pushed a school of bait back into the pocket. A-rig and jerkbait was our hot bait. Fish were healthy and FAT.

Murray has some great bass in it!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD2369 View Post
    Our club had T on Murray this past Saturday. we only had 8 boats, everyone brought in bass. Winning bag was 21.3 with 6.5BF. 3 more bags over 18, a 15Lb and a 13Lb bag

https://lancasterscbassmasters.godaddysites.com

I came in 3rd with 18.7. Ha ha no spots all LMB. We got on em in a small pocket, bass had pushed a school of bait back into the pocket. A-rig and jerkbait was our hot bait. Fish were healthy and FAT.

Murray has some great bass in it!
    Your Club affiliated with B.A.S.S.? Been thinking about joining one but y'all might be a drive for me.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    Your Club affiliated with B.A.S.S.? Been thinking about joining one but y'all might be a drive for me.

We used to be but not anymore. Always looking for new members!

Keowee is gorgeous but the fishing is tough
    Hartwell is awesome
    Jocasse only been once must go again
    Murray wont drag my boat there but would go again

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast