Garmin ECHOMAP ultra 126sv vs Lowrance HDS-12 Live

Trying to decide if I want to go to Garmin on console for side imaging as opposed to HDS. I know Live units do not have the mHz frequency unless you buy new module coming out and the Pro units have it, but are just Uber expensive. So I’m trying to decide between 126sv or HDS-12 Live at the console. I have a 106sv on the bow for livescope as well as an HDS12 gen 3 unit. All my waypoints are in lowrance unit. Have 2D in hull lowrance transducer already wired to the gen 3 currently in console. I want best images possible here and I know the Garmin units have the MHz sidescan frequency and the HDS-live only goes to 800mhz unless you buy the module and I’d be more inclined to just get Pro unit instead of doing that.

Would I be better off to move over to Garmin at console for this or is the image going to be comparable even tho the HDS Live unit doesn’t have the mHz frequency? I do like the lowrance unit because that’s what I’m used to, but I’m technical enough, I’m not afraid to learn the Garmin’s settings either. My main concern is image quality and not buying outdated tech with inferior imaging.

2. Member
    Fellow Tennesseean, I cannot speak for the Lowrance units but I just moved from HB to all Garmins (126's) at console and bow plus a 1222 for live scope. Still tweaking and playing with them but I like what I see so far in detail and quality.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums
    Garmin 126 (2) & 1222 with Panoptix

126sv you will need to get the GT36/GT15 or GT36/GT8 transducer bundle if you want the best transducer for Di and Si, and a in hull 2d sonar.

But there may be clearance sales on the 126sv with the older GT54 transducer coming up in spring. (You just would not use that transducer)

4. Member
    I get good images with my GT54 transducer, better than my Gen 3 Helix Mega unit that I had before.

5. Member
    I can only say for myself and few of my friends. I was a long long time user of Lowrance, (have switched in last 3 years) Have NO regrets and haven't looked back. I have 1-126sv, and 2-106sv,
    The side and down vu, (even with the older GT54 is great. However I have 126sv at console w/GT36-GT8 combo at rear. I don't think it could be any better. Good luck with your search and decision. I don't think you would regret a Garmin choice.
    Last edited by ES21HP; 02-04-2023 at 09:33 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    126sv you will need to get the GT36/GT15 or GT36/GT8 transducer bundle if you want the best transducer for Di and Si, and a in hull 2d sonar.

But there may be clearance sales on the 126sv with the older GT54 transducer coming up in spring. (You just would not use that transducer)
    why would I not use the GT-56? I already have that one.

7. Member
    The advantage of the GT56 and a separate 2d transducer is so you can get depth while on plane at higher speeds.
    I am running a GT54 on the stern of my aluminum boat and I usually get bottom readings up to about 40 MPH.
    If you already have the GT56 I’d use it.

8. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    The advantage of the GT56 and a separate 2d transducer is so you can get depth while on plane at higher speeds.
    I am running a GT54 on the stern of my aluminum boat and I usually get bottom readings up to about 40 MPH.
    If you already have the GT56 I’d use it.
    This has been discussed many times. You will not be able to run a 54 or 56 in conjunction with a thru hull 2D through one unit. Reason being is the 54 and 56 are all in one xdcrs meaning they have DI SI and 2D capabilities. If you want DI SI and on plane 2D capabilities through "one echomap unit" you will need to run a DI SI GT30 or 36 in conjunction with a GT 8 or 15 through hull 2D xdcr with the required Y cable. If you're running two units then one would be designated for the 54 or 56 and the other to the 2D xdcr. My 106 at the helm came with a 54 that I swapped out for the 56 last year. Just removed an HDS9 at the helm that had a thru hull xdcr that was giving me on plane 2d to clean things up so I'm down to one Garmin unit at the helm and in the middle of installing a GT 36 and GT8 through hull to retain my Garmin DI SI and the on plane 2D that the Lowrance was providing. Consequently I now have a 54 and 56 that are in a box on the shelf.

The probability of getting depth reading at speed with ANY brands giant 2d/di/si transducer is very low. You can try it, and you may get lucky.

As said, you can not use a Y cable with the GT56 and can only use the "bundle"

10. Member
    Not liking the sound of that at all. Sounds like I just need to buy an HDS Live and switch out my current HDS unit in console. It already has 2D in hull but when i hit 50-55mph it loses depth reading anyway. Likely a bad install, but I may just stick with lowrance at console and try to use current in hull setup. Thanks all.