Oil Leak - 2022 225 Pro XS - 4 Stroke

I have my rig in the shop with an oil leak after noticing an oil slick last time out around the engine. Ironically timed perfectly just south of the 20hr service interval @ 18hrs. Took it in for a "twofer", 20hr service and oil leak. Diagnosis is a leak at the base of the dipstick tube. Service tech replaced the tube, o-ring(s), and grommet (under warranty of course). However, stated that they had never seen the issue before. I'm looking to see if anyone here is familiar with or experienced the same situation. Wanting to get a good feeling that there is not something else going on that caused the problem. It's go time and I don't want my rig sitting at the shop!! SN#3B056732
    Last edited by Braxtonta; 02-03-2023 at 08:46 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not anything we've seen as a common problem. Surely they checked it under UV light as the OEM oil has UV dye for leak detection.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Not sure how they found it but said that you could see the oil bubbling out (on idle) where the tube meets the engine. Further investigation revealed a split o-ring. I'm just hoping its a simple failure of the o-ring and not a failure caused by an overpressure in the block.
    2022 Ranger Z519, 2022 Mercury ProXS 225 4-Stroke (SN#3B056732), Fury 4-24P, Smart Craft Gauges, Atlas Plate, Ghost TM, Lowrance Electronics, BBT mounts, Ionics.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very, very unlikely to be an "overpressure in the block" given the 3/4" ventilation tube attached to the STB side valve cover.

That said- good to make sure the oil level is not overfull. See the FAQ Section for a detailed explanation of CORRECT oil level.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Update on oil leak

I was able to test run my rig today after the repair, everything seemed good. No leaks!!! Items replaced as listed on the service order; Oil tube pump, o-rings, oil seal tube, and grommet. If you look just below the oil filter housing, you will see where the oil dipstick tube connects. This is the point where the tech said it was leaking. There is a collar looking piece where the oil DS tube connects. Angler's Choice Marine in Martinsville, VA was the servicing dealer and they are top notch. Customer service experience was simply awesome!!
    2022 Ranger Z519, 2022 Mercury ProXS 225 4-Stroke (SN#3B056732), Fury 4-24P, Smart Craft Gauges, Atlas Plate, Ghost TM, Lowrance Electronics, BBT mounts, Ionics.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonta View Post
    Update on oil leak

I was able to test run my rig today after the repair, everything seemed good. No leaks!!! Items replaced as listed on the service order; Oil tube pump, o-rings, oil seal tube, and grommet. If you look just below the oil filter housing, you will see where the oil dipstick tube connects. This is the point where the tech said it was leaking. There is a collar looking piece where the oil DS tube connects. Angler's Choice Marine in Martinsville, VA was the servicing dealer and they are top notch. Customer service experience was simply awesome!!
    my 2022 came with a fury23p 3 blade, did yours come with a 24p? how is performance with that prop loaded and empty? hole shot ok loaded? top speeds ?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    my 2022 came with a fury23p 3 blade, did yours come with a 24p? how is performance with that prop loaded and empty? hole shot ok loaded? top speeds ?
    I purchased the 519 used in mid-November with (two) 2 hrs. It had the Fury 4-24P when I purchased it so I can only "assume" that yes, it came new with that prop. The boat now has just north of 18 hrs where as I just had the 20 hr service completed. I do know that I can turn the 24p 5800-5900 where the boat is running between 69-71. That's rod/reels, the center locker full of tackle, and a full tank (39gal) of gas. No water in live well and only one person. The boat has a tremendous amount of bow lift (its almost scary) compared to my last rig (Skeeter ZX225) and also chine walks a bit as it approaches 68-69 requiring some "driving". What are your experiences with the Fury 3-23P? I would image you can spin it 6100-6200+
    even though its a larger diameter.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Update on oil leak

Glad to hear it- always good to hear the GOOD stories and dealer going out of their way to get it right for you!

On the prop questions: Engines come with NO PROPELLER. Prop Selection is made as the engine is rigged or during the PDI (and may vary from one setup to another... actually quite common in this particular setup).

9. Member
    I purchased the 519 used in mid-November with (two) 2 hrs. It had the Fury 4-24P when I purchased it so I can only "assume" that yes, it came new with that prop. The boat now has just north of 18 hrs where as I just had the 20 hr service completed. I do know that I can turn the 24p 5800-5900 where the boat is running between 69-71. That's rod/reels, the center locker full of tackle, and a full tank (39gal) of gas. No water in live well and only one person. The boat has a tremendous amount of bow lift (its almost scary) compared to my last rig (Skeeter ZX225) and also chine walks a bit as it approaches 68-69 requiring some "driving". What are your experiences with the Fury 3-23P? I would image you can spin it 6100-6200+
    even though its a larger diameter.
    you need a 23p likely as your not reaching full rpms range. Mine arrived late summer and went back for 5 weeks of gel repair so it has never seen the water yet.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools