Looking at getting a Z21

I'm in the market for a new boat and going thru my options. What are any cons that you might have with this boat? Any options that I should for sure get? If i'm not mistaken the trailer is tubular, any issues with them rusting out?

2. Member
    I purchased a new 2022 Z21XL with delivery in August 2021. Awesome boat and would buy again with no hesitation. I added options that would be hard or more costly to add later. Added the dual 8'PP, Air-ride driver seat, deck lighting, cover, AT, and livewell O2. Almost everything else was standard. I did get the prop to hitch extended warranty for peace of mind. I have had some minor issues but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that I haven't seen on my pervious boats and those my friends own. I have heard and read about all sorts of issues with the trailers but, I check mine carefully and provide proper maintenance and to date have had no issues. Just know the advertised "no touch" bearings is not accurate - you do need to check and grease them properly. One of the first things you should do as soon as you get the boat is check everything out. Test all the options, go over the entire electronic rigging and reset the bearings after the first 500-1000 miles on the trailer. The Merc 250 Pro XS is a beast. Be sure to break it in properly - really easy with Vessel View. After that just enjoy. I have had to make no adjustments with mine and easily obtain between 70-74mph in good conditions with tourny load and partner. The boat handles rough water well and is a pleasure to operate. Only issue these days is the price. I ordered mine right under the wire with the price hikes - pure luck on my part. Very best to you on your new boat. ~Dave
    ~ Dave
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS
    HDS Live 12 B&C/Ghost/AT

3. Member
    I'm in the market as well...or at least I was. The boat is GREAT but according to the Cabela's boat salesman I spoke to this past Tuesday, the WWM interest rate is hovering around 8 to 9% for excellent credit rating. I'll gladly admit that I'm not one of the BBC regulars who pay cash for new boats, so I'm having to wait until the interest rates go down. Options I'd get for sure: Ultrex, FFS, minimum of 10" graph at the bow and console, keel guard, hot foot, trailerable cover, and smartcraft guages. Yes, trailer is tubular and my Z19's trailer is four years old now and zero rust issues so far. You will eventually want to upgrade your trailer to Dexter Wet Bolt system though...they're quite noisy (squeaky) going down the road.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Check out the rates at Farm Bureau. That's who I used on my last boat and they beat the banks.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    I've got a 22 Z21xl for sale on the boats for sale page here. $67,500 and you'll save sales tax since its used. Got my new one in already.

ABBOTT NITRO.jpg20230204_125703.jpg20230204_125201.jpgMy 2023 arrived at Bass Pro this week. Getting rigged.

they have improved the suspension on the z21 trailer, thicker shackles, and leaf springs are back. Had my 2023 since November, no issues.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    they have improved the suspension on the z21 trailer, thicker shackles, and leaf springs are back. Had my 2023 since November, no issues.
    Bryan,

Did they do this for ‘22 as well or just start with 23s?
    Rad Brewer

I think so.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team