Slung another Bravo blade!

I have slung blades off of three Bravos in the last 18 months. Soooooo, instead of buying another Bravo to sling the blade on, I bought a 31 promax. I am not trilled with it…85 light and felt sluggish. The reason I bought it was because I borrowed a buddy’s 31.5 Promax and LOVED it. I couldn’t find a 31.5 so I bought the 31. It doesn’t feel nearly a peppy as my buddy’s 31.5. Can that 1/2 pitch make that much difference? My buddy knows a lot about props and he said it does make a difference as that 1/2 pitch is all cup to help lift the bow. Do you guys agree? Think i can get some cup added and make it like his 31.5?
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    I have slung blades off of three Bravos in the last 18 months. Soooooo, instead of buying another Bravo to sling the blade on, I bought a 31 promax. I am not trilled with it…85 light and felt sluggish. The reason I bought it was because I borrowed a buddy’s 31.5 Promax and LOVED it. I couldn’t find a 31.5 so I bought the 31. It doesn’t feel nearly a peppy as my buddy’s 31.5. Can that 1/2 pitch make that much difference? My buddy knows a lot about props and he said it does make a difference as that 1/2 pitch is all cup to help lift the bow. Do you guys agree? Think i can get some cup added and make it like his 31.5?
    I own a 24P Promax and have tried a labbed 26 ProMax. I can't say if the pitch difference was responsible for what you observed. However, I believe that mercury casts the ProMax props in even pitches only and then removes cup to make the odd pitches. So both your 31 and his 31.5P were 32P ProMax castings. His had a bit of cup removed and yours had more cup removed than his. I would think that the 31P would have less bow lift than the 31.5P.

3. Member
    Thank you. Might try getting a little cup added. The prop was ok just not as good as the one I borrowed. My Bravos (plural) have been great except I keep slinging an ear every 50 hrs or so.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    Thank you. Might try getting a little cup added. The prop was ok just not as good as the one I borrowed. My Bravos (plural) have been great except I keep slinging an ear every 50 hrs or so.
    There might be something else different with your 31P ProMax. There was a member that had a boat like mine and his 23P ProMax ran well. He ordered a 24.5P ProMax and the rpm's just appeared to be too low. He called Mercury Racing and explained what happened and they agreed and asked for him to return the prop so Mercury could examine it. Mercury found errors in the prop and corrected them and afterwards the boat picked up 3 - 4 mph. If I load my boat, my 24ProMax loses more speed due to slip and runs close to my 24 Bravo FS. Loaded light the ProMax is at least 3 mph faster with better acceleration.

5. Member
    Thanks for the input. I will call mercury and discuss for sure!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

I got a 28 Bravo if you need another

7. Member
    I haven't heard of anyone slinging blades on a bravo. I have been running an XS for 2 years now. However, I don't know anyone running bravo's over 30" either. I hate the promax as far as everyday handling and the bravo XS is 2-3 mph faster. I was told even numbers were cast and pitch was added to make them the higher 1" of pitch. On your boat, I think you'd really benefit from a max5.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I got a 28 Bravo if you need another
    if you want to get rid of it. I’m looking one.