Thread: Apple Air Tags

Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Apple Air Tags

Looking at getting a set of 4. Anyone using this product to add some protection against theft or aiding recovery. Seems like a reasonable cost $99. Seems like lots of potential to use them as needed based on size and portability.

Yep, keep one in a waterproof attachment on my Labs collar just in case she ever gets loose. Keep others hidden on my 4-wheeler and tractor. And then one is just available for whatever, luggage or even my buddy's boat when he's trying to hide his spots from me Just kidding on the last one.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

3. Banned
    Another thing i had to search, yesterday it was 'who is Andrew Tate?' most replies were 'toxic male'

4. Member
    I put one on my lab until it made high tone sounds and she went nuts, quickly took it off my dog as the sound really freaked her out. I do use them on my luggage, key chain and briefcase.

5. Member
    These are a life saver for me. I’m a scatter brain so I have a nack for getting home and putting my wallet and keys wherever. Air tags allow me to find them immediately. I guess it reinforces a bad habit but it saves me a lot of anxiety about losing my wallet.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    Don't the Air Tags alert any Iphone around that there is an Air Tag nearby? If so, I don't know how effective they might be if any Iphone gets the alert.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

7. Member
    No they don’t alert nearby iPhones, unless they are away from their owner and within range of a particular iPhone for an extended time.

This feature was added because some individuals were using them to track people eg wives, husband of children by hiding one in their car etc.

Lots of stolen items have been recovered by the owners using the Find My feature. Many crooks are dumbarses.

8. Member
    Yes, we use them frequently. Note there is also a hack to silence the chirp…

Wife bought me an Ekster wallet with an AirTag holder. https://ekster.com/products/wallet-f..._medium=geistm
    Gave each of our granddaughters one for keys, backpacks, whatever.
    My niece drops one in her 3 year old daughter’s pocket when they go out in public. Easier to keep track of her if she wonders off.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 02-03-2023 at 06:53 AM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Don't the Air Tags alert any Iphone around that there is an Air Tag nearby? If so, I don't know how effective they might be if any Iphone gets the alert.
    Only your devices see your AirTags. Other iPhones don’t detect it unless you allow it.
    How does it work?

Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

So...

If you put one on something or someone, that something or someone goes out of range of your phone's bluetooth, the only way it works is if another phone is near it with bluetooth turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    So...

If you put one on something or someone, that something or someone goes out of range of your phone's bluetooth, the only way it works is if another phone is near it with bluetooth turned on?
    That’s correct. AirTags essentially bounce from iPhone to iPhone using a secure BT signal. The other iPhones simply detect the signal and pass it along. AirTags, like most BT devices, have to be within 33 feet of another BT device to connect. They work anywhere, but are much more effective in populated areas.
    We have a friend who’s Mom is in Open assisted living. She have her own place, her own car, and can come and go as she pleases. The facility provides meals, cleaning, medical care, etc. Our friend worries when her Mom is out and about, but they don’t want to be calling her constantly and bothering her. She’s 84, and has a few medical issues. She left purse in the store on more than one occasion. I suggested they have a discussion with her about using AirTags to track her travels, and track her purse. Mom agreed to it, so they bought a few. And they bought Mom an Apple Watch which alerts her when she leaves her purse behind. So far, they say it’s working out perfectly.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I've been thinking about getting the Android version because that's what I have. I want to put one in my boat just as another bit of safety since I store it at a facility. Would also be nice to stick one in luggage or in my wallet.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Only your devices see your AirTags. Other iPhones don’t detect it unless you allow it.
    How does it work?

Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage.
    Thanks for the replies. I had just heard a guy explaining it to someone and he seemed confident in his reply that any Iphone would detect the Tag. I never looked it up.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

15. Member
    I think I heard where the crooks are already a step ahead in that they have an app to scan things now to search for them. Probably not widespread yet but I'm sure it will not take long to be so.