RMP Active Target2 vs LVS34

My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    As much as I hate to say it. The Garmin in this particular video was hands down better. I would have liked to have seen the way they the ducers were set up when they did the test. The Lowrance obviously needed adjustments from factory default. Reminds me of when I believe it’s the color gain is maxed on a Garmin.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

3. Member
    I bet they know how to install the transducers. They said factory settings on both. I would have liked to have seen them fine tune each to see if new settings were better than factory settings. As tested, it's more a comparison of factory settings. I do appreciate them taking the time to make videos like this.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    The resolution difference between the monitors seems extreme! (Low=1280x720 vs Gar 1920x1080)Can the clarity difference between the 2 really allow a good comparison or is it apples to oranges with twice the pixels on the Garmin? Or is that irrelevant for “Live Sonar”? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    The test I would like to see can't be done since I suspect that Garmin and Lowrance both record in proprietary formats. I would like to see the same simulation file displayed on different size screens and different brands. That would be a pretty conclusive demonstration. The different size screens could likely be compared in a store within the same brand. I think Garmin uses the same simulation data in all its units. From what I've seen screen size seems to trump resolution but that's just my opinion.

6. Member
    The motion on the Lowrance is an issue as well. I am assuming something with AHRS settings. Both look like they will get the job done with best settings on each.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I think a better screen comparison would've been a 106SV and the 9. Also, with the setting on both optimized. I'm in the market for forward looking sonar for crappie fishing. My boat currently is all Lowrance, but they won't run the active target. I'll have to have a new head unit either way.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I bet they know how to install the transducers. They said factory settings on both. I would have liked to have seen them fine tune each to see if new settings were better than factory settings. As tested, it's more a comparison of factory settings. I do appreciate them taking the time to make videos like this.
    Hmmm. I’ll elaborate so I’ll no longer be misconstrued. I’m quite sure they know how to install a transducer. That was condescending on your part. It would be nice to know if the transducers were on a pole or on a shaft. Separate or stacked. Recorded concurrently or separately. Different boats? The Lowrance looked “ off” to me. I appreciate them doing a video but disagree with their narrative. I do not feel that they are very comparable as they kept saying. As for your your thoughts, I whole heartedly agree with you that fine tuning would be nice to see.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    .....That was condescending on your part.....
    Right! My apologies.

10. Member
    No both xdcrs on same pole mount and same direction- no true comparission. There's no finall software for Lowrance AT2, so....

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Right! My apologies.
    Well, he doesn't seem to know the difference between cover and structure... Again...

Transducers were mounted to the shaft of the trollingmotor one at a time, meaning we installed the Active Target 2 with nothing else on the trollingmotor, then filmed, de rigged the AT2, then installed the lvs 34 on the same trollingmotor and went and filmed. They were NOT both mounted at the same time, both were not operating at the same time. The reason we didn't compare with the 106 is simple.....screen recording. the Gps mapping units from garmin are the only ones available with screen recording and the AT2 was using a live pro 9 as that is all we had at our disposal.

Thank you,

Justin Russell
    Russell Marine Products