Questions about fuel system cleaning 225 efi

2001 mercury 225 efi serial 0t344689
    i need to replace the fuel line and from what I’ve been reading clean the pulse fuel pump. While at it I planned on checking the screen in the VST. How hard is it to do this? I have the service manual and I’m pretty mechanically inclined. are there any specialty tools needed to complete this? The manual calls for bleeding the oil system anytime work is done but under the VST it doesn’t really give much direction just parts diagrams. I’m pretty sure the manual said oil travels into the vst, if so will I need to purge the oil system or the vst after reassembly? Any help will be much appreciated. I got quoted 800-1000 (clean the fuel system) from a shop but was told it could be more. I have a new baby that’s about to be here so I’m trying to save anywhere I can but I don’t want to get into something that is better done by someone with the appropriate tools/gauges

2. Member
    replace line and bulb replace fuel pump diaphragm with OEM kit only , remove regulator screen clean it , i would do some tests before i removed pump and replaced screen there , yes oil line will need purge from pump, has this engine set up for long periods ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    It sat for about 6 months with gas in it and it’s been a few years since everything’s been replaced and cleaned. Took it out the other day and it fired up but it idles rough and has seemed a little slower out of the hole like it doesn’t have as much guts as it used to. More noticeable with another person and more fuel. Once it planes out it runs ok. Sometimes it will fire up and stall when shifted into gear but it will fire right back up and go. It’s never shut off more than once at a time. I was told it probably had debris in the fuel system

4. Member
    Was the fuel treated before it sat? If not, pump it all out and start again with fresh. Alternatively, you could run engine off a small portable tank, with fresh fuel, as a test.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    agree , i would still have to test fuel psi as well as several other basic systems
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................