Thread: Toledo Bend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toledo Bend

Planning a trip to Toledo Bend in May. Any good recommendations on place to stay and a fishing guide? Thanks.

2. Member
    Josh Sikes and Jason Courville are two popular guides on Toledo Bend. I've fished with Jason and recommend him. Both have a good reputation on Toledo Bend.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100036649975279
    https://www.facebook.com/bentrodsguide

3. Member
    Thank you Ted-LA

4. Member
    Some good sacks caught during the BFL. 40 lbs on 5 with a 13+ kicker…second place had 31 lbs…

Saw those BFL results ------impressive.

Anyone got an update on the grass?
    Is it coming back?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Saw those BFL results ------impressive.

Anyone got an update on the grass?
    Is it coming back?
    Some places are getting the grass back, I hope they don't start spraying again and wipe it all out.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Some places are getting the grass back, I hope they don't start spraying again and wipe it all out.
    They never sprayed for hydrilla, and hydrilla is not harmed by the salvinia spraying.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    They never sprayed for hydrilla, and hydrilla is not harmed by the salvinia spraying.
    so what happened to the hydrilla?

9. Member
    Whatever they sprayed killed all the hydrilla and hay grass!! I know they say that it doesn't but that is a lie. It all died so quick after they sparyed
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

10. Member
    They sprayed our lake for hyacinth or salvinia and the hydrilla has died back immensely.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    so what happened to the hydrilla?
    High water, currant and turbidity. The chemicals sprayed for salvinia is effective on what y'all are calling haygrass(torpedo grass0, but has zero effect on hydrilla. Here is a quote from a long post made by a person self-described as: Being an avid bass angler myself and former TPWD fisheries management biologist for nearly 20 years in South Texas (I transferred from the Mathis office to the Aquatic Habitat Enhancement office in February 2016), I understand the concern of impacts to non-target vegetation when herbicides are used. Additionally, I understand how important hydrilla can be to a largemouth bass fishery. Choke Canyon Reservoir, one of the lakes I managed while in Mathis, was a phenomenal bass fishery when hydrilla was abundant. I know of eight 15+ lbs fish caught in 2009-2010 and talked to several anglers that had 50+ lbs with their best five. Hydrilla does make great habitat and bass fishing fun.

Glyphosate is not effective in the water column as it is rapidly broken down by clay and organic matter, thus having no impact on hydrilla, coontail, or other beneficial, submersed plant species. However, we suspected and later confirmed through an experiment that glyphosate was killing the torpedo grass. After learning this, we switched from glyphosate to diquat dibromide. In the experiment, we found that diquat would burn the top of the torpedo grass but leave the submersed part of the plant untouched. The torpedo grass would recover and new growth above the surface was observed two weeks after treatment. We did not observe any impacts on other species such as hydrilla, coontail, or other submersed species either. Diquat is a contact herbicide meaning that it only impacts the part of the plant where the herbicide touches. It is not circulated through the plant like a glyphosate. The contractors began using diquat to treat giant salvinia at Toledo Bend in 2017. We use diquat on giant salvinia in many other lakes across the state, including lakes Sam Rayburn and Caddo, and does not affect the non-target vegetation in these reservoirs. This last summer we had the contractors switch herbicides from diquat to penoxsulam to prevent giant salvinia from becoming diquat resistant. We switched the contractors back to diquat later in the fall as water temperature drops and plant metabolism decreases.
    The herbicides used to treat giant salvinia on Toledo Bend are mixed in a tank with 100 gallons of water and sprayed over one acre of giant salvinia. For diquat, the mix is 0.5 gallons (0.5% solution) of diquat per acre of salvinia. Diquat can be used to control hydrilla but it must be injected into the water column and applied at a higher rate than what we are using on the giant salvinia. When treating giant salvinia with diquat, the herbicide is sprayed onto the mat. Some diquat will drip from the plant into the water but it is not enough to kill submersed vegetation as it is quickly diluted. Penoxsulam is being applied at 4 fluid ounces per acre and like diquat can be used to control hydrilla and other submersed species. But again, we are using it at a lower rate than needed to kill the submersed species and are applying the herbicide to the mat not the water column. Research has shown that herbicides are rapidly broken down in the environment by UV light (sunlight), microbes, and chemical reactions with dissolved molecules and organic matter in the water column. Typically, the half-life of diquat is less than 48 hours in the water column. While some studies show diquat can remain in the sediments for 160 days, it is not active as an herbicide.
    We treat almost 2.5 times as much giant salvinia annually on Caddo Lake (~7,300 acres a year) and beneficial vegetation, including hydrilla is abundant there.
    As much as people want it to be true that "they sprayed" the hydrilla, it's not only not true, but chemically non-feasible.

As to why the hydrilla was cut back, but not eradicated,

The best explanation we have for the disappearance of the main lake vegetation as well as the vegetation in the coves and bays is due to nature, primarily muddy water. In the Spring 2016, Toledo Bend experienced a large rainfall event that resulted in much of the main lake being covered with muddy water. For reference, water releases from the dam were near 200,000 cubic feet per second. By 2017 hydrilla and other submersed vegetation species were reduced to many of the coves and bays but spring rains in 2017 made most of these areas muddy. Housen Bay was muddy for several weeks in the Spring 2018. This same pattern has continued through 2019. Muddy water can be detrimental to hydrilla especially in the Spring when it begins to grow. I experienced this several times while I was a fisheries management biologist in South Texas.
    Here is the link to the full discussion:
    https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...ing-on-rayburn
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

All I know is the hydrilla was there--- then gone.
    Same for Amistad a few years back but IMO that was due to losing 60 feet of water in one summer.
    With that said I witnessed what muddy water can do to hydrilla this year on Amistad.

What happened to the hydrilla at Hubbard Creek ? Some locals claim they sprayed it. All I know is it was abundant one year and virtually gone the next.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    They sprayed our lake for hyacinth or salvinia and the hydrilla has died back immensely.

Choke is the lake that I’m referring to above, last year the grass was everywhere, then they sprayed up the river last summer. There is very little hydrilla now. There is quite a bit of milfoil though, the bass don’t seem to like it near as much though. I’d sure like to see if the biologist above could explain the hydrilla disappearing over a few months.

The period above referenced about the 15lb bass and big bags in Tournaments also followed the lake filling up and having the “new lake regrowth” syndrome. Not saying the hydrilla didn’t help, but it had a few factors combined.

all that said, apparently they have to get rid of the salvinia, so it’s all kind of a moot point.
    Last edited by Bass in the grass; 02-07-2023 at 12:10 PM.

14. Member
    I have fished with Josh Sikes. He is very good with electronics and knows the lake well. I would highly recommend...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Some good sacks caught during the BFL. 40 lbs on 5 with a 13+ kicker…second place had 31 lbs…
    Oh nice!

16. Member
    Sounds good. Thanks.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reel Addict View Post
    I have fished with Josh Sikes. He is very good with electronics and knows the lake well. I would highly recommend...
    Thanks!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Second place had a 12, total of 5 over 10 I heard. I finished only 32 lbs back, I was almost there!! Almost.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

19. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Muddy water and low water levels in the winter month's when it gets below freezing will also kill hydrilla. But it will come back

20. Member
    I'm hearing reports of a 15.67 caught on Toledo Bend today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast