Life PO4 battery for camper

Need to replace the house battery this spring in our camper. Question is, will a 50ah be enough to run the slideout and the power tongue jack? Dont really boondock, so just need it for operating those 2 features plus lights and fridge while traveling. If I really need a 100ah, I'll get that. May be overkill. Thxs in advance!

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by sktrbtr View Post
    Need to replace the house battery this spring in our camper. Question is, will a 50ah be enough to run the slideout and the power tongue jack? Dont really boondock, so just need it for operating those 2 features plus lights and fridge while traveling. If I really need a 100ah, I'll get that. May be overkill. Thxs in advance!
    Our 12v-100Ah All Purpose was designed for RV's as well. Nice thing it has an internal heater so when its cold outside it will still charge, even if you have Solar.

If buy have any questions feel free to call me

205-965-8436

Bill

3. Member
    A 50ah lithium will be like having a 100ah lead acid since unlike lead acid you can use all of the capacity. That said more is better and there are lots of options. Take a look at SOK batteries they make a 100ah that is priced really good and also a 206 which is priced about the same as a 100ah battleborn. I have personal experience with the 206, i have two of them and they have been great as house batteries.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    A 50ah lithium will be like having a 100ah lead acid since unlike lead acid you can use all of the capacity. That said more is better and there are lots of options. Take a look at SOK batteries they make a 100ah that is priced really good and also a 206 which is priced about the same as a 100ah battleborn. I have personal experience with the 206, i have two of them and they have been great as house batteries.
    The idea that you can only use 50% of the capacity of a lead-acid battery is a complete myth. That doesn’t mean a lithium is not a better option. Mostly a money decision. A somewhat unmentioned advantage of lithiums is how much faster they recharge. I’ve spoken to the owner of Impulse on the phone and can highly recommend him as a good guy to do business with.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The idea that you can only use 50% of the capacity of a lead-acid battery is a complete myth. That doesn’t mean a lithium is not a better option. Mostly a money decision. A somewhat unmentioned advantage of lithiums is how much faster they recharge. I’ve spoken to the owner of Impulse on the phone and can highly recommend him as a good guy to do business with.
    Actually its not a myth, at 50% capacity you are generally at 12.1 volts, any lower you risk damaging the battery. Sure you can get more out of it but you will shorten its life. You wont find a lead acid manufacturer that suggests drawing a battery below 12.1v.
    Last edited by jb882; 03-05-2023 at 04:18 PM.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Actually its not a myth, at 50% capacity you are generally at 12.1 volts, any lower you risk damaging the battery. Sure you can get more out of it but you will shorten its life. You wont find a lead acid manufacturer that suggests drawing a battery below 12.1v.
    100% a myth. There is absolutely nothing special about 50% discharge. People misunderstand the rule of thumb designers use when sizing a battery bank as if there is something magical about the 50% point. There is not.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    100% a myth. There is absolutely nothing special about 50% discharge. People misunderstand the rule of thumb designers use when sizing a battery bank as if there is something magical about the 50% point. There is not.
    Why do companies like Easternpenn/deca say things like this in their FAQ's "The shallower the average discharge, the longer the life. It’s important to size a battery system to deliver at least twice the energy required, to assure shallow discharges."

Why do most inverters cut off at 12.1v? 12.1 is 50% SOC for a lead acid. Liek i said you can run the thing down to dead, but you are not going to get full life out of it.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Why do companies like Easternpenn/deca say things like this in their FAQ's "The shallower the average discharge, the longer the life. It’s important to size a battery system to deliver at least twice the energy required, to assure shallow discharges."

Why do most inverters cut off at 12.1v? 12.1 is 50% SOC for a lead acid. Liek i said you can run the thing down to dead, but you are not going to get full life out of it.

Saying the shallower the average discharge, the longer the life is not even similar to meaning that discharging below 50% damages a battery. Discharging below 80% makes a major change in the life of a battery because the depth of discharge vs. cycle life has a major non-linearity there.

Lithium batteries also experience shorter cycle life with deeper average discharge.

There is absolutely, positively, no reason not to discharge a lead-acid battery below 50%. The idea is complete and utter nonsense.

If you want to ask an electrical engineer who worked with batteries for many years, you just did.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Just a FYI, I pull all of my PV set ups down to 30% SOC before recharging and that is being conservative. With normal batteries I am seeing 7-10 years of life. Now with forklift batteries I mainly use reconditioned units and with one set up I am at 10 years with no apparent capacity loss. I am sure there is some but not that the system is recording. So I cant' say how long these large motive batteries will last and to be honest most of my customers won't care if they see 10 years as they will be thrilled. 95% of battery issues is improper care. So as Cat is saying there is alot more to this than hard fast rules.
    As far as SOC voltage There is a big difference in resting state, discharging state, and charging while being used. In my 12v systems I set up and most units are factory set at 11.5v for cutoff under load and that is roughly 25% SOC. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.