Thread: Lake Erie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake Erie

Planning a trip to the lake some time in May. I understand that the smallmouth should be spawning and it’ll probably be pre-spawning for the largemouth. I’ve never been to the lake. I would appreciate any advice, tips, or suggestions.

2. Moderator
    Take warm clothing! Can get a little chilly in May yet
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

Usually just fish the bay.

Plan on going late May. The last 3 years, I have gone up the week before Memorial Day and it was a bit early. The smallies are were not in Presque Isle Bay yet. I am headed up the first week of June this year.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 02-03-2023 at 11:38 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    What part of Lake Erie? OH, PA or NY?

6. Member
    Pennsylvania

7. Member
    There will be fish in the bay in May. If not spawning fish deeper ledges near the sand flats or near the shute. I usually avoid the bay because it can become a circus especially in the spring. I usually fish the lake out of shades beach or northeast. I only fish the bay if lake is unfishable due to 4ft plus waves.

You may get stuck only fishing the bay if the weather is nasty out. Don’t know how big your boat is but sometimes the lake can become an ocean with big nasty waves. I’ve seen 10’+ waves.

9. Member
    I’m fishing with a buddy and we plan on staying around Pymatuning and driving back and forth each day that we are able to fish. We plan to fish around Pymatuning if it’s unfishable on Lake Erie.

Can’t go wrong fishing pyma. There’s a bunch of Muskie lakes I fish out that way. If you can’t make it out the piers are good places to fish.

11. Member
    If that body of water gets to its nasty potential your not goin out on ANY bass boat regardless of size. Just got to pick and choose your days.

12. Member
    Pymi can get nasty also.
    2011 Lowe Skorpion, 18hp nissan, Ultrex, Helix 9 G3, Impulse Lithium

13. Member
    I understand that the weather is going to dictate whether or if we fish, but I understand that there are quite a few options around Pymatuning.

My question now is how bad the train derailment is affecting the area? I sure hope that everyone is safe

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R83steve View Post
    I’m fishing with a buddy and we plan on staying around Pymatuning and driving back and forth each day that we are able to fish. We plan to fish around Pymatuning if it’s unfishable on Lake Erie.
    Def don't overlook pymy! Awesome fishery for largemouth and Smallmouth. Erie is awesome also but presqy bay is a circus anymore. Better to fish the main lake than the bay if u can.

15. Member
    Just in case you are fishing from a boat pymatuning is a limited hp lake 20 or less. Conneaut lake is unlimited hp and it’s near by. It’s a pleasure boat lake but you will not have an issue in May with jet skies. It’s great fishing for bass and pike. I believe the musky state record was caught in that lake.

16. Member
    Being from Pittsburgh but fishing primarily Erie, the spawn has been push back further and further into the last week of May into June. The bay will be an absolute zoo with out of town guys trying to fish. If the lake and bay are both unfishable, Conneaut or Chautauqua Lake are less than an hour drive. I would advise fishing Pymie from the most northern launches if you are on trolling motor only.
    2018 Basscat Puma/ 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT178/ 30 Etec

17. Member
    Well, the time is coming fast and I am starting to get excited. I’m planning to be there the last week of May and we are going to fish 5-6 days. We’re staying on Pymatuning and plan to drive to Erie every day if the weather permits. If not, we will try to fish some of the smaller lakes. My buddy sent a water temperature site so I can see how cold it is currently. I sure hope that it warms up quickly because I would love to experience catching all those smallmouths.

I have spent the last 2 weekends at pammy and there is good bass fishing there.

Smallies are starting to pick up. Should get into them somewhere.

20. Member
    It will be worth your time to go to Chautauqua one day, and maybe drive up to Dunkirk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast