Thread: Magnet fishing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magnet fishing?

Obviously a newer trend for the past few years, and was curious if anyone on here does it?

Seems like a lot of work throwing and retrieving it all day. Has anyone here caught anything valuable doing it?

2. Member
    I have done it a few times with my boys. You would not believe how many screws we picked up around the docks by the ramps. All we ever found was junk.

3. Member
    Maybe it’s what I need to start doing!!! Could catch something every time even in Ohio
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Lots of u tube videos of guys finding all kinds of stuff.

Do they weigh in, or have a ref weight and release?

I’ve been wanting to do it but haven’t bought a magnet yet. I see some guys doing it at not ramps

I saw a segment on some History Channel show of Gary Drayton, of Oak island fame, magnet fishing in the mangroves on the Florida coast. He was hauling in some pirate coins that had clumped together with some iron based things.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    This reminds me, I have one at fish camp I need to give away since having this pacemaker installed.

9. Member
    Do magnet fishermen wear jerseys?

10. Member
    My son does it occasionally. Best so far was a 5lb hammer without a handle. He then, (very roughly), widdled a handle for it out of some random tree branch. It actually took a pretty good beating before the handle busted, lol. He also retrieved a set of keys at one of the ramps for a guy and also snagged an extra anchor for his kayak.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

11. Banned
    Videos =. Planted Treasure

12. Member
    Looks cool but I bet the majority only find junk and if something good is found it will have to be restored so not worth my time and effort. Metal detecting looks more promising to me.

13. Member
    Most larger, valuable items are found by scuba divers going from dock to dock here at Table Rock.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

14. Member
    The only thing my son has found is a bunch of roofing nails at a boat launch, BB’s, his spinnerbait he lost the year prior, and more junk!

Magnet fishing?

It only works in Walleye Tournaments...
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Magnet fishing?

It only works in Walleye Tournaments...
    LOL, except for the whole ferromagnetic thing. Maybe if one has one of those “special” lead magnets,
    I'd Rather be Fishing

17. Member
    Twice, a dumbass has dropped one padlock of a four lock set into the 23 foot deep water in the slip. Being said dumbass, I retrieved the lock both times by dragging a magnet on the bottom. A short WD40 soak and all is good. Please do not tell me how cheaply I could have bought a new set of four.

18. Member
    Could be fun but mostly see old junk coming up or an old rusted piece of iron from who knows where.

19. Member
    I know of a lake where thousands of dollars in tackle, boating stuff, electronics etc. were lost from Ice storms of the slip lockers to the bottom.

20. Member
    Considering everyone says their guns were lost in boating accidents a magnet might not be a bad investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast