250 Pro XS V8 Oil Options...

Ser#2B531827

Hey guys, local dealers only have the traditional Merc 4stroke oil and not the semi synthetic blend... so I used the transition blend oil. The dealer told me that's what they use and what they would use on my motor if they did the searvice. Thoughts?

2. Member
    I plan on running Amsoil in mine after it’s broken in
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. mikesxpress
    Use the oil listed on the engine decals/owners manual. If you can't find it locally order it here:
    <ANNOUNCEMENT>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-03-2023 at 11:43 AM. Reason: See Announcements

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend using ONLY the Synthetic BLEND 10w30 (Mercury or Quicksilver) for best results.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I hope one day they will approve full synthetic

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They have their own full-synthetic oil that is (technically) approved for these models. The reasoning behind it was the service interval requirement on the V12 models.

Came with the Syn-Blend in it from factory.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I put the full synthetic 10w-30 Mercury oil in my 300R. My dealer here in South Florida that deals with a lot of high performance boats, puts full synthetic 25w-40 in everything.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt James View Post
    I put the full synthetic 10w-30 Mercury oil in my 300R. My dealer here in South Florida that deals with a lot of high performance boats, puts full synthetic 25w-40 in everything.
    If you were running the 10W-30 before the full synthetic, could you tell anything different at all after the change or did you simply feel it was a superior lubricant.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I would recommend using ONLY the Synthetic BLEND 10w30 (Mercury or Quicksilver) for best results.
    My manual doesn't specifically state synthetic blend... local dealer doesn't even have it and handed me the regular premium mercury 10w30. May I ask what you mean by best results?

10. Member
    Unlike your owner's manual, recommendations change. The semi-synthetic blend is better for your engine's overall longevity.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    The Mercury or Quicksilver 10w30 synthetic blend is not available anywhere.(Ontario) The only synthetic blend available is 25w40. Local dealer says they can't even get it....? So it's either transitional 10w30 merc oil or merc/quicksilver synthetic blend 25w40. Those are my option. If anyone in Ontario knows where I can find the synthetic blend 10w30 please share cause I can't find a dealer that carries it. Even Canadian tire only carries synthetic blend in 25w40....

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    The Mercury or Quicksilver 10w30 synthetic blend is not available anywhere.(Ontario) The only synthetic blend available is 25w40. Local dealer says they can't even get it....? So it's either transitional 10w30 merc oil or merc/quicksilver synthetic blend 25w40. Those are my option. If anyone in Ontario knows where I can find the synthetic blend 10w30 please share cause I can't find a dealer that carries it. Even Canadian tire only carries synthetic blend in 25w40....
    Don should be able to get it for you and ship it to Ontario.

13. Member
    I don’t think Don can ship internationally due to contract constraints.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    If you were running the 10W-30 before the full synthetic, could you tell anything different at all after the change or did you simply feel it was a superior lubricant.
    I have a 300R so figured the full synthetic would be better for the higher RPMs I'm running.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    +1
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    This is correct. We are unable to ship outside the continental US (as are ALL US-Based Mercury Dealers).