Bfs reel recommendation

Ok guy looking to start bfs with bait caster. What would be a good recommendation for reel under $400. Forgiving(not extremely choked off in cast) smooth, low profile. I’ve being using Daiwa sv reels all my life. Looking to throw baits 1/8 to 1/2 oz.

thanks in advance

If you're willing to purchase from Japan, hard to go wrong with a Daiwa Gekkabijin

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh402 View Post
    Ok guy looking to start bfs with bait caster. What would be a good recommendation for reel under $400. Forgiving(not extremely choked off in cast) smooth, low profile. I’ve being using Daiwa sv reels all my life. Looking to throw baits 1/8 to 1/2 oz.

thanks in advance
    For those weights and if using fluorocarbon, I can recommend the Alphas SV TW (both regular and shallow spool versions). Doesn't really come close to maxing out your budget though lol.

Yah I know guess more for rod lol

When I think BFS, I don't think in the 1/8 to 1/2 oz range, more like less than 1/8 oz. With the right rod and line, I can cast 1/8 oz on the US Tatula 70 SV TW. It's out of budget, but the US Steez 70 CT SV TW, right line, right rod, I've cast a 1/16 oz crappie jig head with a tiny tube effectively. That's an amazing reel out of the box.

Another option is the 2022 Shimano Aldebaran BFS. Like above, you would have to buy from Japan to come in under your range. I recommend Digitaka for that. Currently $285 but is based on the yen vs the dollar, so may change a little daily. Instructions in the box will be in Japanese. You can return if it arrives broke or not working, but you won't get a warranty. They provide excellent tracking and it will be at your door in 4 to 6 days.
    The cheapest and sometimes better option is to buy a lightweight spool and spool bearings for a reel you already have. I would recommend Hedgehog studio air bearings if you go that root.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    When I think BFS, I don't think in the 1/8 to 1/2 oz range, more like less than 1/8 oz. With the right rod and line, I can cast 1/8 oz on the US Tatula 70 SV TW. It's out of budget, but the US Steez 70 CT SV TW, right line, right rod, I've cast a 1/16 oz crappie jig head with a tiny tube effectively. That's an amazing reel out of the box.
    I think 1/8 - 3/8 is a good "power BFS" range esp for moving baits. I had a blast throwing all the IXI shads, Z2, Nanahans, up to the 110jr +1s on a BFS Adrena all last Spring. 7-8lb straight fluoro which kinda sucks on spinning gear, and cranking anything but a #5 shad rap on spinning just feels weird lol.

I forgot about the Tat 70SV, that would be a great reel for his applications imo.

Received today my BFS Tsurinoya GENIUS from Aliexpress, $72, this reel on youtube is highly rated, just didn't want to spend any more. This reel weighs in at 135 grams,shade under 4.8 oz, yes the Aldebaran is bit nicer but then for the same price I can get 4 "Genius's" as the Shimano.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    yes the Aldebaran is bit nicer
    Just a bit nicer? Lol...

10. Member
    I'm with you except my cut-off point is 3/16 oz. Plus I need the right rod for 3/16 oz. I'm definitely not the caster you and many others are. Sucks, but that's just the way it is.

11. Member
    1/8 to 1/2 oz for BFS is like saying need a swimbait rod to handle 3/8 to 7 oz.

12. Member
    The Daiwa Alphas SV TW will do exactly what you want with ease. If you want to throw in the 16th and 32nds range, just get another spool(Rays or Roro) and hybrid SIC micro bearings. You will be amazed at what you can throw.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

13. Member
    For 220 bucks the Kastking Kestrel is a very impressive BFS reel.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    For 220 bucks the Kastking Kestrel is a very impressive BFS reel.
    The Alphas SV TW is cheaper than a Kastking...surely a sign of the end times.

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    The Alphas SV TW is cheaper than a Kastking...surely a sign of the end times.
    They seem to be everywhere these days

16. Member
    They seem to be everywhere these days
    Air-dropping from balloons soon?!?