Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    The harsh reality that a lot of people don't want to admit is that they really don't need all that fancy stuff to catch fish, they just want to look the part. 99% of guys who have all that stuff don't use it to it's potential and definitely aren't getting an ROI from it. The older I get and the more basic I make fishing the more fun it gets.
    you are correct sir

Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    I agree about looking the part. I’m sure a lot of members on here that own fiberglass boats would not want to own / show up to their local tournaments in a Bass Tracker Classic that costs $14,995

Yes I love my fiberglass boats, but if I couldn’t afford a new or used glass boat and came on here bitching about prices, I would certainly have no problem rocking the Tracker Classic. I don’t think I would catch less fish in it compared to my Ranger.

I’ve got a Phoenix but if times got hard on me, I would not be a bit ashamed to fish outta that joker. Looks like a pretty good deal tbh

Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Said it here a 100 times...banks stop cutting 20-30 year notes, prices will come down.
    Explain as to how that would work?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I bought a new 2006 Champion 198 and paid 43k
    Upgraded the graphs to color units at the time
    And it had a Yamaha 225 HPDI.

Now days you cant buy an 18' boat for that.
    Crazy how things change.
    "Nowadays" is 17 years later. 17 years is a considerable amount of time.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Explain as to how that would work?
    I'm sure you can figure it out, pretend like you aren't a BBC member and can't pay cash for a new boat...actually pretend like the majority aren't and could not pay cash for a new boat...now limit boat loans to 7-8 years like most other loans. I imagine that would help the used market as well.

6. Member
    Paid 56k for my ranger z119c loaded with all the upgrades and goodies in 2015. Got a value a 49k trade value for it in 2021 when I was looking at getting my skeeter. It’s just crazy.

7. Moderator
    yep, it's bad. It was worse a year ago. Glad mine is MINE now and still looks and runs like it was brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    absolutely agree.

i find it funny that most guys clamp onto the pros who beat their chest to “grow the sport”. They come off as wanting to get kids and more people fishing, when in reality it means growing sponsorship dollars and their own income. they are also the same ones who complain non-stop about recreational anglers fishing during tournaments.

i never once been on a lake or at a tournament and have people begging for more crowds and crowded ramps. I’m fact it’s the complete opposite. A lot of places I stop fishing because of the crowds like Oneida, Cayuga, 1000 islands.. sure there is plenty of water to share, but the lakes have taken a huge hit in numbers and quality. The frustration with crowded ramps or spot poachers isn’t worth it. Places are becoming so crowded with the influx from mainly out of state plates that it’s pushing most of the locals away. I live the 40 min Oneida, 1.5hrs from Cayuga, and 2hrs from 1000 islands. It’s been years since I’ve fished any of those. I’ll stick with the smaller places (even car top mountain lakes) that the grow the sport crowd hasn’t overcrowded… yet.
    The problem isn’t too many people, it’s too little water. If you look at the ratio of fishable water to the population, there is much less water per person now than years ago. What we need to do is build more reservoirs, especially in places like CA, but elsewhere as well. If we don’t continually recruit more folks into fishing and other outdoor activities, various radical groups will make much of what we enjoy about fishing illegal. Look what those groups have done in Europe.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 02-02-2023 at 07:57 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    No Hassle No Haggle naitonal price, $16,995
    Inflation Buster Price $14,995

2019 price $9,999.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    I'm sure you can figure it out, pretend like you aren't a BBC member and can't pay cash for a new boat...actually pretend like the majority aren't and could not pay cash for a new boat...now limit boat loans to 7-8 years like most other loans. I imagine that would help the used market as well.
    Not sure that would change anything...cash versus financing. Boats are far from a necessity like a car would be to someone and there are 12 year loans for cars/trucks now. If you take away the long term financing that is not going to stop Mercury from charging what they want for an engine...only competition does that from other engine manufacturers and consumers making choices to go to the competition because of the price. The only long term financing I believe is for new, not used that I know of. If the market slowed down on boat purchases all that would happen would be people getting laid off due to lower production...prices would still stay high and increase yearly as they always have.

11. Member
    Everything is relative no?

I bought my 06 stratos for 15k two years ago. The seller gave me the original bill of sale when I bought the boat, he paid 28,500 for it brand new…

do you really think I got a bad deal for it? I haven’t seen many 06’s for that price since if any…the market is the market.

I do see a trend in the used market though that prices are cooling off, a lot more boats that ask for top dollar aren’t moving.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

12. Member
    I sold a 2008 20’ Ranger boat with a Yamaha HPDI 250 in 2013. The same boat showed up for sale a couple months ago for $5000 more than I sold it for 10 years ago. Now…in fairness, the boat owner (don’t know if it is the guy I sold it to or not) has upgraded the TM and the electronics, but still….it is now 15 years old and is listed for more money! And I feel like I got a fair price for it!

13. Member
    Paid $15,000 k for a 2000 MINT Skeeter zx195c in fall of 18’- boats worth 20k + now it’s crazy!

14. Banned
    It's the " I don't care what it costs, what does it cost me per month" way of thinking. As long as there are people willing to spend the kind of money they are asking for boats, the prices will keep going up. The only thing that will change is some boat makers will not be able to be competitive, and will go out of business, which will enable the remaining manufacturers to raise their prices.
    And as like it was said in prior posts, the bass boat market is getting smaller as opposed to the pleasure boat market, which in turn causes manufacturers to switch to a more profitable type of boat and lower production of others.

15. Member
    Old people complaining and being surprised about how much things cost....I've never heard this story before.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    Old people complaining and being surprised about how much things cost....I've never heard this story before.
    Don’t forget the part about making gross over-generalizations about why others bought similar things and how they probably didn’t finance it correctly LOL.

You can thank the pandemic for most of the inflated prices today. It is in every industry. When demand is increased along with the supply decreasing, mfg's realize their production is affected enough to know they must charge more for their product to ensure profitability. The recreational industry has been hit just as hard as any industry. All the family units could decide to stay holed up in their little houses, or they could isolate themselves on the water in their new toys and know they are safe from Covid. Camping, fishing, and boating was the perfect way to isolate. You can't catch the hoax virus if you stay far away from others...was their mentality. Manufacturers had to change their business strategy to producing less and pricing more to stay afloat. In regard to the bass boat industry, these are no longer a mass produced item. Only a certain number of folks can and will pay $100K for a brand new rig. Therefore, the used boat prices will remain high because the owners have too much invested in them, sellers can't afford to replace their used and buy new, and the ever increasing interest rates for loans knocks a whole lotta folks outta the bass boat buying market, altogether. So now we will see used inventory start piling up and the ones that have to sell will be taking a loss. Used boat prices will have to come down and level off at some point but not right now, not for a while. The boat owners that want to upgrade or buy new will be holding on to their used much longer. There will be an occasional used deal out there if you look hard enough. You had better jump quick if you find one. If not, the guy behind you will knock you down and scoop up the deal faster than a babysitter's boyfriend when they see the car pull up.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

18. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Not sure that would change anything...cash versus financing. Boats are far from a necessity like a car would be to someone and there are 12 year loans for cars/trucks now. If you take away the long term financing that is not going to stop Mercury from charging what they want for an engine...only competition does that from other engine manufacturers and consumers making choices to go to the competition because of the price. The only long term financing I believe is for new, not used that I know of. If the market slowed down on boat purchases all that would happen would be people getting laid off due to lower production...prices would still stay high and increase yearly as they always have.
    12 year loans for cars/trucks is just asking for trouble. If I can't pay a vehicle off in 5 years or less without putting myself out too much I can't afford it. If I can't pay a boat off before the motor warranty is out I can't afford it. Seems like a good rule of thumb for auto and boat loans to meAs the saying goes..."not good to live above your raisin'".
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    100% correct on grow the sport!!! Its destroying hunting and off roading also!!!
    Most states are losing hunters fairly rapidly. Some have restructured out of state fees to attract more hunters.

20. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankinh20 View Post
    Why would you sell your boat when the prices to replace are astronomical?
    Dont put yourself in that position the good price you may get are nothing compared to what current prices are.
    I don’t feel sorry for stupid people they deserve everything they get.
    Anyone who has to finance the boat for more than 5 years is just plan dumb .
    Buy what you can afford nothing more. It’s no fun having a top of the line boat if you’re unable to take off work to use it. Wise up guys
    I love brutal honesty. Can't argue with a big dose of truth even though people will spend their money however they want. I will say that the best advice I've ever read about financing a boat is to have it paid for before the motor warranty goes out. That could be anywhere from 3 to 8 years depending on which warranty you choose and which plans are offered.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast