Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    The days of the good quality, decade old boat being 20K or under is just done. With the price of new boats to replace them, deals like that are going to get more and more rare.

Kind of like buying a used 4WD pickup or SUV. The days of finding one under 10k in decent shape, no matter the miles or year, is more or less done. Inflation hits the used market too.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

2. Member
    I thought I was in the market, but on a teacher's salary, seeing these prices on boats that are so old is very discouraging.

Yep, I've regretted selling my Ranger ever since and that was years ago now. Had plans to replace it by now, but that didn't work out and looks like I'll be waiting a while.

I saw an add on Facebook the other day for a 1995 boat, want to say Cajun or something off the wall. It was pretty mint and well kept with only 124 hours on the original motor. They guy was asking $35K for it. Holy mark up Batman!
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Inflation driven, just like used car prices.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    They are not going to stop doing that unless a lot of folks start defaulting on the loans and they start seeing major losses.

In a way I think we are our own worst enemy in that by growing the sport the new and older folks willing to pay the increased prices. If folks in large enough numbers refused to pay those prices then a decrease could probably be seen.
    You said it right there - as long as people pay these stupid prices it will only get worse.

7. Member
    Was looking at a new boat in a year or two..........but the Ranger is paid for and runs great. Going to save the $$$$.

8. Member
    Glad my Triton is paid off, wish it was a little bigger with a growing family but the boat prices have many of the common buyers priced out. I know some people will say look at salt water boats etc... But its across all markets and boat types. We are in the bass boat market and comparably the prices in this market are very high. I traded a 07 Ranger for my current Triton back in 15 and I got 13 for the boat and it was on the lot for 16. Today that EXACT same boat is back on the lot with no upgrades since, for almost 18. Just to put things today in perspective. Wish my salary would inflate haha

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    I could go buy a brand new one for $8k more. It’s not that great of a deal. It’s not bad but I wouldn’t pay that much.
    You realize what your getting at that price is a bone stock boat on a single axle trailer right? And try finding one anywhere rigged like that. I'm not sure what came on the used one he bought for $40k, but he at least mentioned 12" graphs. In today's market, he got a great deal and I'm just not sure how you compare that to a boat bought 11 years ago? Completely different situations...
    Last edited by Topwater All Day; 02-02-2023 at 12:55 PM.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Inflation driven, just like used car prices.
    What is NADA or Kelly Blue/ Black Book listing these rigs at? Are the prices similar or more realistic? No way a bank is going to loan money on such old boats so it will have to be cash in hand. However if they did I'm assuming they would go by the current NADA pricing and not the inflated asking prices?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    I saw an add on Facebook the other day for a 1995 boat, want to say Cajun or something off the wall. It was pretty mint and well kept with only 124 hours on the original motor. They guy was asking $35K for it. Holy mark up Batman!
    Lets be honest though, nobody is going to buy that anywhere near that price. Some people are still stuck on pandemic level used pricing, and haven't made adjustments. Look at this site and boat dealerships, I haven't seen this much stock available for years, even if the prices don't show much adjustment yet.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    You realize what you’re getting at that price is a bone stock boat on a single axle trailer right? And try finding one anywhere rigged like that. I'm not sure what came on the used one he bought for $40k, but he at least mentioned 12" graphs. In today's market, he got a great deal and I'm just not sure how you compare that to a boat boat 11 years ago? Completely different situations...
    That’s still not a good deal to me. I wouldn’t pay that much for a nitro. If I had $40k to spend I could find a better deal on a bettter boat. I don’t know why people are getting their panties in a bunch because I don’t think it’s a good deal.

The NADA on my 09 ranger is more than I paid for it now. Would cost more than double to replace it.
    Ranger Forever

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    You said it right there - as long as people pay these stupid prices it will only get worse.
    Banks have long ago figured out people are dumb. A local guy let slip at a tourney that he currently has 3 loans on his boat. One for the boat, one for a brand new electronics package, and one for the new motor he repowered it with because he wanted 25 more HP. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Said it here a 100 times...banks stop cutting 20-30 year notes, prices will come down.
    I was watching the Barret-Jackson auction last week and as the price went up, they were displaying the monthly payment. For a $500k classic car, LoL!
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    I just pulled up the retail value on my 2017 Ranger RT188. I did not add anything for electronics, basically left everything default. Average retail is 23,790. I have over 30K in it if I include Mercury Platinum warranty, Ultrex, taxes, and a couple of HDS7’s. That is not including stuff like three AGM batteries or any other routine services. There is nothing at all wrong with anything on the boat, figure I could quick sell it for 20K if needed. My point is there are still excellent buys out there if you have the means and are willing to compromise. If you want the exact color, exact hull, etc… you may as well bite the bullet and buy new. My boat new would run about 42K now plus taxes. For no more than I have used it I look at that boat as an expensive luxury. I cannot even fathom paying 80K+ for a new glass rig.

17. Member
    As long as new boats are priced high the used market will follow. And as new boat sales drop due to high prices, buyers will look to the used market and this will also drive up the used market.

18. Member
    I paid 17,500 for my boat in August 2021 and I've seen similar boats listed for 30k recently. I'd love to sell it for the profit but I wouldn't be able to get into another boat without using that profit.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    That’s still not a good deal to me. I wouldn’t pay that much for a nitro. If I had $40k to spend I could find a better deal on a bettter boat. I don’t know why people are getting their panties in a bunch because I don’t think it’s a good deal.
    There it is, you simply don't like the boat regardless of price because it's a Nitro.

20. Member
    As long as people pay it prices will stay high. If people stopped overpaying for used boats, then you will see a drop in price.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast