Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone ever have a Seizure?

I'm 69 years old and on Friday August 25th at 1AM I probably had my first ever seizure. My wife heard the dishwasher come on as usual just before 1AM and was still awake to hear and see it all. She tried to wake me up but couldn't and tried to remove my Cpap mask and I resisted her attempt while going through it. She called 911 and they suggested not waking me but to keep me from falling out of bed. I woke up with two strange men and my wife talking to me asking questions and telling me I need to go to the hospital. I couldn't initially answer the questions about my name and date of birth correctly but before getting on the stretcher unassisted the fog lifted and I understood what was going on. A CT scan and tests of all vitals came back normal at the hospital and the ER doctor suggested I make an appointment with the VCU Neurology team. I was told I shouldn't drive until cleared by a neurologist. I was scheduled to have Cataract surgery on Monday three days after this but they wouldn't do it without clearance from neurology. I was really looking forward to seeing normal again but now it's delayed hopefully no more than a couple months. Anyhow I had my neurology visit yesterday over an hour of exam and discussion. The end result, I likely did have a seizure based on my wife's descriptions. I'm going to have an updated MRI done and EEG 24 hour scan. After that, if tests are negative 3 month follow-up observation and no driving for 6 months. I'll be prescribed an emergency nasal injection medication to help lessen the effects of a 2nd event. If tests indicate epilepsy I'll possibly be on medication especially if more seizures happen. All to be determined based on the next 5 months now. Interestingly, in 2020 I went to Duke Neurology because I was having unexplained feelings of Tunnel Vision while driving and a feeling of a chill/panic attack every few weeks or at times months apart. They diagnosed it as some type of motion activated thing and I did some home therapy that seemed to help. According to VCU these feelings are considered to be Auras that may indicate a seizure is likely to occur. If you're still reading this mumbo jumbo, what I really want to know is how are you handling fishing? Do you go alone and what precautions if any are you taking? I told my wonderful wife Nancy I'm not going to let this Fing BS stop me from doing what I enjoy. I told her I'm going to wear my lifejacket all the time and install an EPIRB probably ACR ResQlink on or inside attached to the self inflation tube. When I told the doctor I guess I can't fish a two day tournament next week she said, you CAN as long as someone is with you. I'll be pulling out since It's the ABA two day on Kerr. We've had some colorful discussions in the house the past few days but Nancy said she will go out on the boat with me as much as possible. I had her drive it for the first time last week doing about 50 while sitting alongside her. Thanks for listening.

Listen to the docs and the therapists…and get better asap.

3. Member
    My wife has the same type of seizures, just zones out for up to a minute. She was on one medicine for about 25 years with no issues, then one day in 2015 it just stopped working. 8 years later, multiple tests and med changes, and literally some years hundreds of these “auras” there is finally light (albeit a little dim) at the end of the tunnel, as she has went 4 months seizure free. She is seen at Duke, which as one of the best Neurology practices in the country.

As for your question about what is essentially, should I be alone fishing? My wife can generally feel these coming on, even when she has them early morning, so her being alone has never been an issue. She has had a couple times where they came on so fast she ended up on the ground. Epilepsy/seizures are no joke as you know, better safe than sorry IMO. And if you need a partner, I am not too far from ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    My wife has the same type of seizures, just zones out for up to a minute. She was on one medicine for about 25 years with no issues, then one day in 2015 it just stopped working. 8 years later, multiple tests and med changes, and literally some years hundreds of these “auras” there is finally light (albeit a little dim) at the end of the tunnel, as she has went 4 months seizure free. She is seen at Duke, which as one of the best Neurology practices in the country.

As for your question about what is essentially, should I be alone fishing? My wife can generally feel these coming on, even when she has them early morning, so her being alone has never been an issue. She has had a couple times where they came on so fast she ended up on the ground. Epilepsy/seizures are no joke as you know, better safe than sorry IMO. And if you need a partner, I am not too far from ya.
    Thanks Ron, mine was while I was sleeping so I have no idea if I would have had enough warning to react. Appreciate the offer.

5. Member
    Good luck to you and hope the tests come out in your favor.

6. Member
    My first "documented seizure" happened approximately 1:37 p.m., June 17, 1988.

Good luck to you. Listen to your doctors, don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Proverbs 28:1

Prayers sent.

9. Bob G's pool boy
    Went through it with an adult daughter a year ago. It's scary reading your post. Your situation is almost exactly how it went for her. They came and once we started looking back, realized that they had likely been happening for a while. She had a few others over the next couple months as they tweaked her meds. They also did a long term EEG and extensive work with Neurology. Took about a month or so but once they got the meds right, it has been a while since she has had major one. She has little events that you can notice if you know what to look for but you might not notice if you aren't. The side effects aren't good, but that varies with the med. She also has the panic attacks and the tunnel vision.

Follow the doc's advice. Driving a car or a boat or a bicycle or a child's hobby horse before you get this figured out is something you should talk over with experts. There is a lot to it but it can be managed and there are people living normal lives while managing it.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

10. Member
    Prayers that you get to the bottom of it soon. Sounds like you are lucky to have such a caring wife.

11. Member
    Prayers you get a handle on this and that’s the last of them!

12. Member
    Prayers for a quick resolution and being able to resume your normal lifestyle.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

13. Member
    For you Sir. I bet that was scary.

I would not go fishing alone.

Hopefully you get it under control quickly and your life returns to normal!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

16. Member
    I understand you are a human and it's different but I have a dog that has seizures. Every one I've ever seen him have has been when he's asleep. He is on phenobarbital twice a day and it helps but he still has a seizure every month or so. It's crazy but certain foods make him have them. It is very unsettling watching it knowing there is nothing you can do. I'm sure it was unsettling for your wife also.

There is no way I'd go fishing alone simply because if you have one you are going to be completely helpless until at least a few minutes after it's over. Even with a life vest on you could injure yourself by falling or during your seizure.

17. Member

Praying for you. No fishing unless you have someone in the boat. Way too dangerous without someone there to help when you need them.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    I understand you are a human and it's different but I have a dog that has seizures. Every one I've ever seen him have has been when he's asleep. He is on phenobarbital twice a day and it helps but he still has a seizure every month or so. It's crazy but certain foods make him have them. It is very unsettling watching it knowing there is nothing you can do. I'm sure it was unsettling for your wife also.

There is no way I'd go fishing alone simply because if you have one you are going to be completely helpless until at least a few minutes after it's over. Even with a life vest on you could injure yourself by falling or during your seizure.
    We have a four year old golden doodle and he's had three seizures this summer. I know it's a scary situation and the poor dog is disoriented for several minutes afterwards. We just hold him until it's over. I understand the dangers involved and will take it a day at a time and follow doctor recommendations.

Thank You to RonCat and Bill Spence for the information and to all for prayers and well wishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast