Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    That’s still not a good deal to me. I wouldn’t pay that much for a nitro. If I had $40k to spend I could find a better deal on a bettter boat. I don’t know why people are getting their panties in a bunch because I don’t think it’s a good deal.
    Is this better deal?

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/...573435470.html

2. Member
    I think a big problem with the used market is that guys that put upgrades are trying to get their money back at almost full price for their electronics and trolling motor. You see so many listing with the price at $x with electronics and $x without. If you look at what NADA and KBB give for value on those products it is next to nothing. If you sink aftermarket products into a vehicle, you don’t get to make it back when you sell it, generally speaking. It is a twist in the boat buying search.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    There it is, you simply don't like the boat regardless of price because it's a Nitro.
    No not at all I almost bought a nitro one time

Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Got it...you don't like Nitro. I would say they have a come a long way since you bought your Phoenix in 2012. My Nitro has been a great boat and I think most that own newer ones would agree. Everyone has their opinion...
    Good grief people calm down. I don’t have anything against nitro.

Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    The harsh reality that a lot of people don't want to admit is that they really don't need all that fancy stuff to catch fish, they just want to look the part.
    I agree about looking the part. I’m sure a lot of members on here that own fiberglass boats would not want to own / show up to their local tournaments in a Bass Tracker Classic that costs $14,995

Yes I love my fiberglass boats, but if I couldn’t afford a new or used glass boat and came on here bitching about prices, I would certainly have no problem rocking the Tracker Classic. I don’t think I would catch less fish in it compared to my Ranger.

The problem is too many guys are paying sticker, and happy to, because someone else is standing behind them saying I want it too. Im seeing a ton of big name boats with owners needing to sell, but they're upside down in them, because they have no equity in them and have basically just paid interest on them with standard and extended-term loans. We're going to see a lot of defaults this year and possibly even more for 2024.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    I agree about looking the part. I’m sure a lot of members on here that own fiberglass boats would not want to own / show up to their local tournaments in a Bass Tracker Classic that costs $14,995

Yes I love my fiberglass boats, but if I couldn’t afford a new or used glass boat and came on here bitching about prices, I would certainly have no problem rocking the Tracker Classic. I don’t think I would catch less fish in it compared to my Ranger.

Even worse, what if a lot of the guys actually admitted they didn't have any business fishing anything except the local fruit jar....boy that's a novel concept.

I found plenty of good used boats for decent prices when I was looking which was for the past 3 years. The only problem was that the good ones that weren’t used hard and had 500 hours on them went really quickly.

I got really lucky and found a 2010 Nitro Z7 that you can see in my signature and paid less than I could have bought just the outboard for. No joke.

Moral of the story is, you need to be patient if you’re looking for a good used boat. They are out there.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

9. Member
    Back in the 80’s and 90’s the standard per say was a 18 footer with a 150 . The new prices on those are not too bad honestly. And you don’t need the high end electronics either. Spent my entire life on Ky Lake and it gets rough but a 18 footer with a 150 is fine most days. Basic electronics can be had very reasonable too.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Thomas View Post
    Back in the 80’s and 90’s the standard per say was a 18 footer with a 150 . The new prices on those are not too bad honestly. And you don’t need the high end electronics either. Spent my entire life on Ky Lake and it gets rough but a 18 footer with a 150 is fine most days. Basic electronics can be had very reasonable too.
    It is pretty amazing what you can get for the money with basic electronics now. A 9" garmin with side imaging for 700 is a ton of bang for the buck compared to older units.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Okay, get ready to get pissed off at me.

Dixie-Raven hit the nail on the head. This "Grow the Sport" crap is about nothing more than making money. It is veiled in so many ways, like "it's for the kids" etc., NO. The motive is cash plain and simple. Even the timing of pro tourneys are set to the time of year when the fish bite is at it's crazy best and it's all about getting you wound up and hooking you and your wallet. We all have fallen victim to it, some worse than others.

And speaking of Pro's,,, I'm sure most all of them are great guys as well as the best of fisherman, but they are, at the same time, "Salesmen". (Once they hit the big time). They remind me of the guys you used to see at an old Macy's or Sears department store. They used to be just inside the doors with a couple of tables and some amazing demonstrations of "The worlds Sharpest Knife" or "The World’s Best Pots and Pans". It was quite entertaining to watch them at it and it was a great way of sucking people into making a purchase or two. This is about what fishing has become to and it is, IMHO, greed gone wild.

It’s our own fault though. We’re easy marks. So many of us have become the Perfect Consumers, 'delicately' trained, manipulated and indoctrinated since childhood, into buying nearly anything regardless of price. Cars, trucks, boats, clothes, homes, entertainment, sports, including ours. Many of us even do it with a big goofy smile on our face.

In a way, it's kind of like a milking barn full of cows all hooked up to the milking machines that are pumping out milk. But in our case it is the same idea only the milking hoses are attached to our wallets. There's a human philological aspect to it that "those who make the world go round" know about and have mastered. They seem to have developed a way of keeping everything priced at what could be the breaking point for some people and "just" below the tipping point for the rest so no ones the wiser. Meanwhile, and just like everyone else, I spend more than I should, but I try very hard to make wise and prudent purchases.

As for the prices of used boats, with a well-kept 15 year old boat and a new trailer as a foundation, I'll do a re-power after 10 years, (Done in 2018) upgrade electronics every 3-4 years, etc., Which, basically means that my well-kept old boat will go anywhere and do anything that a new rig five times more than I paid for mine will do. So if I ever do sell it, the price I set will be based on that and will be a real deal compared to the cost of a brand new rig.
    Preach it brother! You are spot on!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    I think a big problem with the used market is that guys that put upgrades are trying to get their money back at almost full price for their electronics and trolling motor. You see so many listing with the price at $x with electronics and $x without. If you look at what NADA and KBB give for value on those products it is next to nothing. If you sink aftermarket products into a vehicle, you don’t get to make it back when you sell it, generally speaking. It is a twist in the boat buying search.
    Thats the reason i keep my oem equipment around. You want to pay bluebook, you get bluebook.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    It's transitory.

14. Member
    there is a lot of boats for sale not very many selling been in used boats for thirty years it comes an goes.

15. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I was in Arkansas in 2021 motorcycle riding. I drove around the Ranger plant (it was on a Sunday and closed). Looked in the lot and it was jam packed full of brand new Ranger boats just sitting there. I realize they service the entire country but I’m saying that there was not nearly the back log the manufacturers were claiming (at least ranger). This back log of boats waiting to be built because of no workers, waiting on parts or whatever their reason I believe was partly a scam to drive up prices even more.

Someone said banks need to stop giving out 20 year loans and that’s exactly right. The loans that are easy to get and get for 20-25 years makes it easy for anyone to afford a boat. Once that ends and interest rates stay high the boat prices will come down.

I think used boat prices are already starting to drop. There are a few trying to sell for 2020-21 prices but they don’t really wanna sell their boat they just wanna make some money.

give it another year and used boat prices will drop significantly.

Long term financing is nothing new in the industry. 15 year loans were available on 30k in 2001.

17. Member
    Why would you sell your boat when the prices to replace are astronomical?
    Dont put yourself in that position the good price you may get are nothing compared to what current prices are.
    I don’t feel sorry for stupid people they deserve everything they get.
    Anyone who has to finance the boat for more than 5 years is just plan dumb .
    Buy what you can afford nothing more. It’s no fun having a top of the line boat if you’re unable to take off work to use it. Wise up guys
    Last edited by Crankinh20; 02-02-2023 at 05:56 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Said it here a 100 times...banks stop cutting 20-30 year notes, prices will come down.
    +1

19. Moderator
    I absolutely love to fish, my son loves it as well. But if I could get all my money back on what I paid for my boat and extras in 2019. I’d sell it today.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Z520C View Post
    I absolutely love to fish, my son loves it as well. But if I could get all my money back on what I paid for my boat and extras in 2019. I’d sell it today.
    ??? Really at todays prices you can't break even or get close? Did you over pay and/or finance? Upside down?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast