Banned

1993 Merc 175 XRI injector question

Model: XRI 175
    Serial: 0D274766

Motor runs strong, but first takeoff of the day, sputters for about 3-5 seconds, planes off, then runs clean the rest of the day, no sputters on takeoff after that. It’s done this since I’ve had it (11/21). Is this likely just a clogged injector? I know it’s an older motor so I’m not super concerned. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    well i would eliminate other possibilities first , test of all sensors and switches , fuel psi tests to eliminate regulator/filter or pump problems, bleed system check over as well as all other basics , if it is a clogged inj your going to loose a cyl on it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another item would be whether or not you still have oil injection. When oil injection is removed, this may occur after any extended idling as the engine loads up.

Sync-n-Link settings (including timing, and verifying the trigger advances freely without binding (when cold)) would also be in order.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Another item would be whether or not you still have oil injection. When oil injection is removed, this may occur after any extended idling as the engine loads up.

Sync-n-Link settings (including timing, and verifying the trigger advances freely without binding (when cold)) would also be in order.
    I did remove the oil injection and premix. Is the synch-n-link something that someone with minimal experience should get into?

5. Member
    I had minimal experience with motors, but with the Mercury service manual for your motor, it’s not really hard, will need some minimal tools. But, you most certainly need the service manual.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Member
    locate spark arm make sure it advances trigger arm at top full way to stop when cold engine off nothing to it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................