Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with FFS decision...

So I keep going in circles on this and hoping for some advice. There is a fishing expo coming up in two weeks and it will be the time to take advantage of some deals so I'm running out of time. I'm a bird guy, 2x 12's with M360 but I keep leaning to garmin for FF. Need to grab dedicated head unit regardless and looking at comparable screen sizes it seems Garmin is the way to go but I keep getting pulled back to the ML because if I ever had a head unit failure I won't be down and out. Good sale on the garmin bundles and no show sale price on the birds as of yet. Need help deciding....

M-Live with Helix 10 MDI+ CHO - $3910.00 (no sale)
    LiveScope LVS32 Custom Bundle w/Echomap Ultra 106sv GT56 $3299.00 (sale)

or

M-Live with Helix 9 MDI+ CHO - $3500 (no sale)
    LiveScope LVS32 Custom Bundle w/Echomap UHD 95sv GT54 - $2549.00 (sale)

2. Member
    Only you can decide if you need FF.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Only you can decide if you need FF.
    I've been holding off the last couple years but I think it's time. Need no, want yes.

4. Member
    Then go for it, it's your money, go as big as your wallet will allow.

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Then go for it, it's your money, go as big as your wallet will allow.
    ^^ This

6. Member
    Yesss!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    ^^ This

7. Member
    I've used both, go Garmin for live sonar.

8. Member
    Go Garmin and get the LVS 34!

I run all Humminbird and added the Mega Live in Nov of 2021, so I've had over a year with it. It's improved with every update HB has released and I have no problem seeing fish on it. It's been a great tool for me and has helped locate fish I didn't know were there. It's also helped with boat positioning and where the fish are in relation to the boat. Depending on what I'm throwing, I can usually see my bait very clearly and can watch how the fish react to it. Some smaller baits are harder to see but I can usually still find them.

I have a couple buddies that run Garmin and I have been on their boats and used their LS system. I do think the Garmin shows a little more definition but for me, it wasn't enough to add an additional graph, black box and transducer. My HB stuff all integrates together and it works pretty well.

I am running two Helix 9's on the bow and it works, although I'd like a little more screen for sure. If you can afford it, I would go with the Helix 10. I also would suggest reaching out to some of the BBC sponsors who sell the units as you will usually get a better deal on them. I've personally bought a lot of my stuff from Brian @ BBG Marine and they've been great to deal with.

Hope that helps!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

10. Member
    It took me several years to bit the bullet and buy it and when I did they LVS 34 came out the next week. But It is a game change to say the least.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nix03 View Post
    It took me several years to bit the bullet and buy it and when I did they LVS 34 came out the next week. But It is a game change to say the least.

That's always been my luck

12. Member
    I'd go garmin standalone all the way. Just not worth investing just as much money into an inferior live sonar product.

Do have to warn you, after using garmin you might be tempted to dump the birds and go all garmin.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member
    I'm a HB guy, but if I had to do it today I would go with Garmin for FFS.

I can’t say enough good things about the lvs34. It’s a really neat piece of tech. Active target 2 is the next best thing but I still thing lvs34 has the edge on everyone in the ffs game

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I'd go garmin standalone all the way. Just not worth investing just as much money into an inferior live sonar product.

Do have to warn you, after using garmin you might be tempted to dump the birds and go all garmin.
    I did this over Black Friday sales a couple months ago. Sold 2 hb units and put 2 more garmin with my existing garmin. I’m happy with the switch and I really liked HB

16. Member
    I run HBs Solix's for my graphing, 2D, SI and Garmin for my LS. Love my setup. I had to fish a couple derbies in the spring last year without my boat, LS and I can honestly say it cost me not having it.

17. Member
    Just throwing this out there...I love my Lowrance Live Target on a 12" Lowrance HDS Live! Great sale prices on them now and mine has been flawless!

18. Member
    If you're buying a new unit regardless, go for the Garmin LVS34. I'm a bird guy and I've tried every way under the sun to convince myself I'd be happy with humminbird for ffs but I just can't. The Garmin looks so much better and more usable.
    If I had a compatible unit for mega live, sure it's a no brainer, but I can get a LVS34 with 10" Garmin for cheaper than I can get a 10" helix DI without transducer and mega live.
    Less money for a better image is a double win

19. Member
    I'm a HB man. I have been since the old Super Sixty flasher days in the 70's.

I have a basement full of old units from 787's to Helix 10's. Currently have Helix 12's and 10's on my boat plus MK Ultrex.

I seriously believe that if I was rigging a new boat from scratch, I'd go Garmin, but I'm not. I think the Ultrex is a little better TM than the Garmin for $1000 less.

I think Mega Live is as good, or close to as good, as LiveScope, but it's just too difficult to get the set up right. I've been working for the last month ever since I bought my stuff to get set up. Major PITA, but when I hit it, it's fantastic.

A major advantage to staying HB all the way is the ability to net work the units. If I leave the TM in the water, I can idle around and see Mega 360 or Mega Live at the console.

Now we have an update for Mega Live to install so I have to set the unit back to default settings and try to remember what I had figured out. HB has got to come with a way to allow us to save and restore our setting. Not sure how Garmin handles update.

If I were the OP, I think I would stay with HB just for the ability to network the units.

20. Member
    What’s your budget? No brainer to get the latest Garmin if it’s a dedicated unit for FFS. Dealers who sell all 3 will tell you birds are 3rd best behind Garmin/Lowrance for FFS.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast