Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Northern Smallmouth Trip

I am looking at going on a smallmouth trip next year, and I am looking for recommendations. I would have to go during the summer when the kids are out of school. I was wondering if there are any places in the US that offer cabins and boat rentals similar to what is offered in Canada? I would like to be able to drive to somewhere and fish some smaller lakes, but not have to worry about pulling my boat a long ways. I am mainly looking for a nice place to take the family and catch some decent numbers of fish. Are there in places in the US that offer this, or should I look at going into Canada? Thanks.
    Team Enigma Fishing

Northern Wisconsin has all of that. Cabins, boat rentals and cabins. Look at Vilas or Iron county.

3. Member
    Vilas county is a great place.............

4. Member
    I agree with the 2 posts above. If you want to spend a bunch more money you can do all that in Door co also, but at a much higher cost, but it’s very nice.

Look at a map of northern MN, WI, Or MI.

Pick an area, find a resort, and book a week. Use your skills.

Simple as that, seriously.

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Check out Lake Erie or St Lawrence River. Can’t go wrong for size and numbers. Plenty of guides in the areas too
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Rainy lake Canada. I go every year and not kidding when I say we caught 100 smallmouth a day!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. Member
    St Clair hands down. This July will be my 4th year in a row. If you need a guide, I can refer you to a great one.
    Go Big Blue!

First of all.....GO POKES! Class of '88.

We've taken several trips hunting smallies up north, and what Phoenix Jim mentioned, Rainy Lake was some of the most memorable. We hauled our boats from Tulsa, usually 3 or 4 teams each time, and the drive was 16 hours. We would stay for an entire week. Had to haul everything in, load the boats, gas and all, and drive to remote outfitter probably 5 mi or so from boat ramp. I don't remember the outfitter name, though. Excellent setup once you got there. We haven't done this in prolly 10 years.

The last few times we've hired a guide and just stayed in hotel or air BNB in Traverse City, MI, and fished in Traverse Bay. Each time we rented Captain Chris Noffsinger www.northernadventuresfishing.com . Chris is a great guide and I would highly recommend him. Our trip would average 50-60 fish/day and weights would average 3-4.5lbers with an occasional 5lber. We always went up third week of June. Captain Chris says best time for the biggest fish is toward end of May or first week in June, depending on the weather. That would work for kids being out of school. It's been 5 years since we went and rate was $600/day. But the convenience of renting a guide definitely outweighed the hassle of doing everything on your own. We flew into Chicago and then drove through the beautiful state of Michigan to Traverse City, approx a 4.5hr drive.

I'm planning on another trip in 2024. We're fixing to move to AR and build a new home this year, with too many irons in the fire. Good luck on a successful and safe trip chasing those brownies!

Okie
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

10. Member
    I would say anywhere in Northern Mich, Wisc or Minn. Literally hundreds of lakes and cabins to choose from. Keep your money in the U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post

We've taken several trips hunting smallies up north, and what Phoenix Jim mentioned, Rainy Lake was some of the most memorable. We hauled our boats from Tulsa, usually 3 or 4 teams each time, and the drive was 16 hours. We would stay for an entire week. Had to haul everything in, load the boats, gas and all, and drive to remote outfitter probably 5 mi or so from boat ramp. I don't remember the outfitter name, though. Excellent setup once you got there. We haven't done this in prolly 10 years.

The last few times we've hired a guide and just stayed in hotel or air BNB in Traverse City, MI, and fished in Traverse Bay. Each time we rented Captain Chris Noffsinger www.northernadventuresfishing.com . Chris is a great guide and I would highly recommend him. Our trip would average 50-60 fish/day and weights would average 3-4.5lbers with an occasional 5lber. We always went up third week of June. Captain Chris says best time for the biggest fish is toward end of May or first week in June, depending on the weather. That would work for kids being out of school. It's been 5 years since we went and rate was $600/day. But the convenience of renting a guide definitely outweighed the hassle of doing everything on your own. We flew into Chicago and then drove through the beautiful state of Michigan to Traverse City, approx a 4.5hr drive.

I'm planning on another trip in 2024. We're fixing to move to AR and build a new home this year, with too many irons in the fire. Good luck on a successful and safe trip chasing those brownies!

Okie
    Thanks for the advice and go pokes. I graduated with my masters from OSU in 2019.
    Team Enigma Fishing

12. Member
    GO POKES!!! I've been to Canada and Minnesota, if you can hit it right when they're on the beds, most fun you'll have catching big one after big one, and they're not spooky when we did it. Smallmouth are so much fun. I would move up there except for the winters, and my wife is from Minnesota

13. Member
    You’d be stupid to drive that far to fish the st Lawrence or st clair, that is unless you like fishing around other boats and in a developed landscape.

go somewhere beautiful where you can catch 100 fish a day, rather than going to the place where your 5 best might weigh 5 more lbs it’s not all about just catching bass, do it somewhere that your surroundings will look like a painting and you won’t have to fish around other people. You and your kids will remember it forever.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

14. Member
    I’d also suggest Rainy Lake
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and go pokes. I graduated with my masters from OSU in 2019.

Suhweeeet! I was there at the time some real live studs were on the field. Watching Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Hart Lee Dykes, Rusty Hilger, Leslie O'Neal, and of course the 40year old "I'm a Man" Gundy....just to name a few. We go back regularly to watch a football game or two, mainly for baseball, though. My son's best friend (he's just like our kid) graduated last year and was the ace in the rotation on the baseball team....Parker Scott. He signed professionally w/ LAA at one point but injuries and age got the best of him to continue to pursue his career. Once a CowPoke, always a CowPoke!
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Want to make a trip North also. We have a group that has been going to Sam Rayburn each spring, but I think most have been convinced to make a trip North this summer instead. Not sure where to go, was thinking Milles Lacs, but maybe there is a better lake within the 9-10 hour drive time form SE KS?

OSU put the hurt on OU last night. I am a KU fan, but like to see OU beat at anything and anytime.

17. Member
    I recommend the Indian River area in northern Michigan. Burt and Mullet are both good for Smallies and that area is really nice during the summer.

18. Member
    Barry Sanders was the MAN, and still is the MAN!!!!

19. Member
    Get in a plane and fly to Buffalo, NY Airport. From there it's only about 10 miles to several different hotels in Buffalo right near Lake Erie, the Worlds Capital when it comes to walleye and SMALLMOUTH. If this is something you will consider PM me for the areas Best Lake Erie Guides available. Depending on the time of the year you may catch smallies up to 7 pounds and or 100 smallies per day. This way with a guide you get the very best chance of a successful trip then trying unfamiliar waters on your own. And I'll be it will be less $$ then renting a boat/motor/cabin each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post

Okie
    Unfortunately, things have changed in 5 years. I've been going up there at the same time in June for over 10 years and the last 2 years were brutal. 2 years ago it was the worst pressure I have ever seen up there at that time. Areas that I usually share with 3-4 boats had a dozen to twenty boats and the bent pole patterning was ridiculous. And I'm talking midweek, intense pressure. I still caught some quality fish but nothing like in the past. Granted, the pandemic being over might have had something to do with it. Last year, the fishing was just off. An area where I have absolutely hammered them was quite poor. There was an alewife-kill which I suspect had something to do with it because the water temperature and date was identical to the past conditions when I enjoyed some of the best fishing of my life. And I talked to others and they all reported the same thing. This year I am planning my trip to the area at the same time but am spending several days on Charlevoix or other lakes since I can't rely on GTB. Plus, if the OP is looking for a Canadian or "Up North" experience, Traverse City and GTB doesn't really offer that. I love the Bay and plan on buying a home in the area but that is partly because my wife loves the area. I've always enjoyed Door County and various bays in that area more. It just feels more outdoorsy. If I was starting from scratch I'd go to a smaller Villas Co lake or Door County. Good luck.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast