Thread: P5 Cyclone

P5 Cyclone

Looking for a versatile medium baitcast rod and prefer the Megabass lineup. The only thing I found out about this rod is from a YouTube video saying it does everything the 110 stick does just as well plus many other things much better. Sounds about like what I’m looking for, since as a kayak guy versatility is a big plus.

2. Member
    I can't provide any input on the Cyclone, but I can tell you that the P5 Blade is a very versatile rod and is still a shorter rod at 6'8". Megabass classifies it as an F5 power (MH based on their rating scale), but I've always felt like they rate their rods a little higher than many other companies do. The X-Bites is listed as a 5.5 power which would translate to a MH+ but if you talk to anyone that has owned the X-Bites, I think most will tell you that it is a MH rod at best. I used the Blade for a variety of baits since I also mainly fish out of my kayak. I used it for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swim jigs, square bills, lipless cranks, buzzbaits, walking topwaters, and even used it a little for T-rigs and topwater frogs (not in heavy slop). If you're looking for a rod for jerkbaits and poppers, I'm not sure if the Blade would be good for those baits since I never tried them on it. Hope this helps and good luck finding the right rod for your needs.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I can't provide any input on the Cyclone, but I can tell you that the P5 Blade is a very versatile rod and is still a shorter rod at 6'8". Megabass classifies it as an F5 power (MH based on their rating scale), but I've always felt like they rate their rods a little higher than many other companies do. The X-Bites is listed as a 5.5 power which would translate to a MH+ but if you talk to anyone that has owned the X-Bites, I think most will tell you that it is a MH rod at best. I used the Blade for a variety of baits since I also mainly fish out of my kayak. I used it for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swim jigs, square bills, lipless cranks, buzzbaits, walking topwaters, and even used it a little for T-rigs and topwater frogs (not in heavy slop). If you're looking for a rod for jerkbaits and poppers, I'm not sure if the Blade would be good for those baits since I never tried them on it. Hope this helps and good luck finding the right rod for your needs.
    thanks for the input, I’ll cross shop the blade too!

4. Member
    I have the P5 cyclone. I thoroughly enjoy it. It is light and sensitive. It is a moving bait rod with a some what short handle. Nice flex to the blank. I mainly use it for topwater. Especially the MB popmax. About the only moving bait I would not fish with it is a spinnerbait and swim jig. I like a fast rod for them. No way would I fish bottom contact with it. It is plenty sensitive enough. Just not fast enough to drive the hook home. I can post a picture of the flex of the blank if you would like. I know you said Megabass but I would look at the Shimano poison adrena 6'11 m+. Outstanding rod that will do a lot.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I have the P5 cyclone. I thoroughly enjoy it. It is light and sensitive. It is a moving bait rod with a some what short handle. Nice flex to the blank. I mainly use it for topwater. Especially the MB popmax. About the only moving bait I would not fish with it is a spinnerbait and swim jig. I like a fast rod for them. No way would I fish bottom contact with it. It is plenty sensitive enough. Just not fast enough to drive the hook home. I can post a picture of the flex of the blank if you would like. I know you said Megabass but I would look at the Shimano poison adrena 6'11 m+. Outstanding rod that will do a lot.
    I could warm up to a poison adrena, I have heard awesome things about that particular model. Interesting you say it’s not so good at bottom contact, was sort of hoping it could be like the wind buster and good at both treble and single hooks. Looking for something versatile to fit between the wind buster and X-bites. Was thinking that short length would be good for finessy stuff in close quarters.

Edit: I wanted to add that I would love to take you up on pics of the bend test. Thanks!
    Last edited by Scud_Muffin; 02-02-2023 at 01:53 PM.

6. Member
    I don’t have the P5, but I do have an old hi-10x cyclone, which should be pretty close to the new model. I originally picked it up because it was a good deal but the rod became a regular in my rotation. The blade as mentioned above, which I believe is the successor to the bandersnatch, should also be a good and more powerful choice. Listed below are my favorite cyclone applications in no particular order.

-1/8-3/8oz spinner/chatter/buzzbaits. It can handle 1/2oz well also as long as it’s more of a finesse/compact type bait. A full size 1/2oz spinner with big blades is a little much
    -3/8-5/8oz hard/treble hook baits
    -Wacky rigs (excellent senko skipper)

Its also fairly good for 1/8-1/4oz finesse jigs/t rigs if fishing lighter cover and you aren’t using heavy wire hooks.