Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    What brand FC? Vanish used to be the worst for breaking on the hookset. Sometimes at the knot other times middle of the cast length.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Fluoro has a lot of stretch, but doesn’t stretch until fairly heavily loaded so it has better sensitivity than mono. Add in abrasion resistance, and it’s a good choice fishing the bottom in rocky bodies of water. Add it as a leader on braid and you have a good combination. Very little stretch, good sensitivity and resistant to abrasion
    No, That is incorrect.

I do fishing line testing with a high end test machine. So far every mono or co polymer line I have tested has less stretch than fluorocarbon at every point on the stress strain curve. And they have terrible abrasion resistance compared to mono and co polymer.

The WORST Fluorocarbon line I have tested so far is Seaguar Abrazx. It tested terrible for abrasion resistance and has the most stretch of any line I have put on the test machine so far. Abraxz tested 44% less abrasion resistant than Seaguar Basix. Both Abrazx and Basix tested less abrasion resistant than the plain old Trilene Big Game.

Sorry, i'm not trying to be mean or rude, but the data disagrees with that statement. Do you have actual data to show what you say to be true? If so I would really like to see it.

Here is my data:
    https://linetestlab.com/compare-test-report/

3. Member
    Braid to fluorocarbon. Lefty Kreh leader knot.

Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    The more I test fluorocarbon fishing lines on the test machine the more I believe it should only be used when absolutely necessary. Fluorocarbon has a lot of stretch and it is fragile. Unless you need that extra couple feet from the sinking line or complete invisibility I believe it is a bad choice.
    I completely agree. I tired straight fluoro several years ago on spinning and casting reels. I saw no advantage to it whatsoever and instead had nothing but problems with it. Maybe I'm blessed with sensitive hands, but I never have any trouble detecting a bite when using my Izorline Platinum. And, it's just as abrasion resistant as fluoro fishing line and has very little stretch, at a fraction of the price of fluoro. That being said, using fluoro leader material (much stiffer, tougher, and abrasion resistant than regular fluoro line) when fishing a Carolina Rig or on the occasions that I do use braid with a leader does have advantages in very rocky terrain or when fishing around zebra mussels.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I’ve gone back and forth. Last season, I tried straight Berkley Pro Grade FC which I’ve used successfully on some of my baitcasters for years now. I put 10lb on my 3000 sized Shimano Vanford. Unless I constantly use my hand to straighten the line coming off the spool once the bail is closed and keep a close eye on loops/slack, it’s a major pita. In cold weather, it’s even worse due to the FC having more memory. Slow techniques where you have slack in the line at times also makes it worse. Casting distance is not nearly as good as with braid. I think part of the issue is that I used 10lb test. In the past, I used 8lb and it was more manageable. That being said, I’ve already decided that I’m going back to braid with a 6-7’ leader. By the way, this is for my shakyhead / wacky rig rod but would also like to throw lighter swim baits and jerkbaits with it.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

6. Member
    Braid to flouro through a double Uni.

7. Member
    No, That is incorrect.

I do fishing line testing with a high end test machine. So far every mono or co polymer line I have tested has less stretch than fluorocarbon at every point on the stress strain curve. And they have terrible abrasion resistance compared to mono and co polymer.

The WORST Fluorocarbon line I have tested so far is Seaguar Abrazx. It tested terrible for abrasion resistance and has the most stretch of any line I have put on the test machine so far. Abraxz tested 44% less abrasion resistant than Seaguar Basix. Both Abrazx and Basix tested less abrasion resistant than the plain old Trilene Big Game.

Sorry, i'm not trying to be mean or rude, but the data disagrees with that statement. Do you have actual data to show what you say to be true? If so I would really like to see it.

Here is my data:
    Do you test the lines dry or wet? I've been told that many lines behave differently when wet. I don't know, I use straight Invisx and it's usually enough to land the half doz dinks that I manage to fool each season. And pickerel don't seem to give a rat's azz what I'm throwing when they slice it off.

8. Moderator
    Braid to fc I also use the double uni as it works fine, the Alberto or fg has been proven to to better especially for impact. The double uni works fine. I’m still learning it, and have learned that a 14 ft leader isn’t needed. As easy as the double uni is to tie I just put a 5 ft leader and keep a spool in the boat. I’m 50/50 of it breaking at knot or in other places. Works for me well good luck

I don't use a machine but in my own actual hands on experience fluorocarbon has outperformed mono/copoly for me too many times to not believe it. I would not switch from flouro at all. It works for me better than anything.

10. Member
    The tests I have published so far have all been dry. I have tried testing wet. Mono will stretch more when wet. I don't have enough data to say how much more. The couple wet tests I've done still showed mono has less stretch than fluorocarbon. I can't see how it would change abrasion resistance. I have some 15lb Invisx that I will probably test this weekend. I sure hope it's better than Abrazx! 15lb Abrazx broke at only 13.51lbs. It stretched 122% when it broke.

I think braid to mono would be better than braid to fluoro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I don't use a machine but in my own actual hands on experience fluorocarbon has outperformed mono/copoly for me too many times to not believe it. I would not switch from flouro at all. It works for me better than anything.
    Same. The sensitivity between fc and mono isn’t even close.
    On a bait caster I throw 90% fc and the rest is braid for frogs and punching and mono for topwaters actually braid with mono leader. With spinning reels the only time I use pure FC is shad rapping in freezing temps. If I used braid to leader the braid will act up on me if it’s below freezing, braid can be like trying to cast 10ga wire . But almost always go braid to fluoro for everything else spinning related when the temps aren’t below freezing

The tests I have published so far have all been dry. I have tried testing wet. Mono will stretch more when wet. I don't have enough data to say how much more. The couple wet tests I've done still showed mono has less stretch than fluorocarbon. I can't see how it would change abrasion resistance. I have some 15lb Invisx that I will probably test this weekend. I sure hope it's better than Abrazx! 15lb Abrazx broke at only 13.51lbs. It stretched 122% when it broke.

I think braid to mono would be better than braid to fluoro.
    All due respect as I appreciate you trying to be objective here, Wouldn’t wet testing be more “real life”. I thought fc claim to fame was it didn’t absorb water like mono?

13. Member
    Well the issue is how to wet the line. In real life it doesn't just soak in it. It's cast out and reeled back. It's a variable that is difficult to control. How fast do I need to go from water to the test machine? If it dried for 30 seconds is that too long?

14. Member
    No, That is incorrect.

Here is my data:
    I’ve always thought fluro was less abrasion resistant than mono. That’s based on years of using both. I must admit though the sensitivity of fluro is way better than mono. I use fluro 90% of the time.

Well the issue is how to wet the line. In real life it doesn't just soak in it. It's cast out and reeled back. It's a variable that is difficult to control. How fast do I need to go from water to the test machine? If it dried for 30 seconds is that too long?
    That’s a good question and I don’t have an answer. However I guess you could think about how long line would be in the water on an average cast and dip it and take it out and dip again but man that would be monotonous lol. I’m not sure how you could simulate that.
    Out of curiosity I looked up to see if big name companies comment on the stretch. Berkley says this which I thought was interesting because not too many years ago Pros we’re touting that fc had little stretch.

Pasted below from Berkley websiteDid You Know?

[COLOR=var(--color)]Many anglers believe that fluorocarbon is a low-stretch line, and credit its sensitivity to this factor. But it actually stretches more than nylon mono. The difference is, it takes a greater force to get fluoro stretching in the first place. As a result, fluoro makes a fine choice for situations where controlled stretch is helpful, whether as a mainline or a leader in conjunction with low-stretch superline. Paired with its higher density and direct contact due to its sinking ability this line is incredibly sensitive.[/COLOR]

16. Member
    The difference is, it takes a greater force to get fluoro stretching in the first place.

So they claim without providing any data. It's great marketing.

At 1.5lbs of force, 15 lb line percent stretch:

Abrazx 9.3%
    Basix 8.8%
    Sufix Advance 7.7%
    Strike king Tour grade 7.2%
    Big game (dry) 6.8%
    Mason T-Line (co polymer) 5%

It's just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Right! If I do my job of tying clean knots and retying as often as I should be, I have absolutely ZERO problems with flouro breaking. In my personal experience, flouro is many times less “spongy” than mono or co-poly and I and the vast majority of other serious tournament fisherman use it because it is a very efficient tool. I honestly have no interest on how my brand would do on a testing apparatus because I just don’t have ANY issues with it in REAL world environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Right! If I do my job of tying clean knots and retying as often as I should be, I have absolutely ZERO problems with flouro breaking. In my personal experience, flouro is many times less “spongy” than mono or co-poly and I and the vast majority of other serious tournament fisherman use it because it is a very efficient tool. I honestly have no interest on how my brand would do on a testing apparatus because I just don’t have ANY issues with it in REAL world environments.

Several years back I was fishing a lake in BFE. I absolutely blew up a cast and backlash my reel on a squarebill setup. They were choking a squarebill. I inadvertently left my libe bag at home. I beached the boat and ran up to the little store at the ramp to get some line. I use 15lb flouro on my squarebill setup but all they had was 15lb Big Game. I bought a spool and put it on. Absolutely hated the sponginess but it was better than nothing. Meant to take it off when I got home.
    I put the rod in the rod locker after my trip and kinda forgot to respond with flouro. Didn't need that rod for a few weeks. On another trip I grabbed it to throw and right off the bat it was super spongy. Kinda muted the feedback of the bait too much. I made several casts wondering what was going on. I realized what it was and responded immediately.
    It was like a blind test but I was able to tell the difference that easily between the two.

A year in two ago I spooled up a couple of my pitching setups with mono as well to compare against sane size flouro on same setups. Absolutely hated pitching with mono. Will never go back after that.

The difference is, it takes a greater force to get fluoro stretching in the first place.

So they claim without providing any data. It's great marketing.

At 1.5lbs of force, 15 lb line percent stretch:

Abrazx 9.3%
    Basix 8.8%
    Sufix Advance 7.7%
    Strike king Tour grade 7.2%
    Big game (dry) 6.8%
    Mason T-Line (co polymer) 5%

It's just not true.
    Can’t argue with that. However I can’t say that I care that it stretches more. It’s more sensitive due to density and has a much lower refraction index which is kind of what I’m after. I can feel bites and terrain better and it’s closer to the refractive index of fresh water than other types of line so it’s harder to see. Is there a difference in how you test these lines vs the company’s that make the claims? To be fair I’m sure marketing has a strong role to play but I have never had any issues with FC and feel like I’m fishing with oven mitts on sensitivity wise with mono just to be honest. I guess what I’m saying is, I think your data is probably sound but does it really matter?

Also diameter of line is a critical factor as well. Perhaps a more apples to apples stretch test would be true outside diameter to true outside diameter regardless of breaking strength

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast