Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    I can tell you that our numbers and yours are not in the remote ballpark of each other. Could it be a calculation error or collection error?
    Very diplomatic post but...the question answers itself - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Braid to floro, double uni has been very reliable for me.
    He's right you know
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Regarding Amazon…a bunch of other guitarists and myself inadvertently bought counterfeit guitar string on Amazon. I knew something was up when they broke super quickly-like after three days of installing them. Also discolored/oxidation practically overnight. A bunch of us checked D’Addario’s website and cross-checked the serial numbers and guess what? Counterfeit. This experience has really soured me on Amazon for some purchases like musical instrument gear, fishing tackle, etc. I’ve tried to manage around it by making sure the seller is actually a vendor I’m familiar with or it’s Amazon proper.
    Amazon has some poor quality control on some of their third party vendors, and somehow the algorithm seems to push the knockoff products to the top of the list. I recently bought an assortment of ice style jigs. Shipment never came, dealer gave me the run around, never really got resolved.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    What lb test braid would you guys pair with 10lb FC?
    I try to keep the braid diameter as close to the leader diameter. For instance Segar Invix 10 lb test is 0.010. Power Pro braid 20 lb test is 0.009. I use PP braid in 20 lb test with 8lb Leaders and have no braid to leader knot breakage.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    What you are doing is awesome, however your percent elongation really doesn't seem correct. I assume that's the spec given under 10%, 20%, ect. so if it is not, let me know. By that data, if you had 100 ft of line out and got snagged, you would have to move your boat roughly 65 to 100 ft to straight break the line, not just pull on it at the boat. It is also significantly off production specifications for the line that we produce in our facility. I am an engineer that works with the line production equipment at Pure Fishing (Berkley among others). I am not at liberty to give out specifics at all, but I can tell you that our numbers and yours are not in the remote ballpark of each other. Could it be a calculation error or collection error? I'm not sure, just trying to help and ensure accuracy.
    I would really like to talk to you!

I know my data is accurate. I believe it boils down to reporting method. I sent you a PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Very diplomatic post but...the question answers itself - lol.
    Please explain. My data is accurate. I can tell you down to a thousandth of an inch how much a line stretched and what the force was at that point at a 100hz sample rate.

7. Member
    I use braid to fluoro as a general rule, but I would use straight flouro in an instant! I have a couple of set ups in my rod locker that is straight flouro. I generally carry 10 or 11 spinning setups in my boat everyday, so several will be straight fluoro.

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    What does your own experience say?
    I asked a question a while ago about line and lipless baits. Was told that flourocarbon was the line to use do to low stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    I asked a question a while ago about line and lipless baits. Was told that flourocarbon was the line to use do to low stretch.

Try it against mono and see what you prefer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I just tried a 4ft length of Trilene XT and Vicious, both in 12lb because that’s the only size I had both types in the same weight.

Tied both around a piece of 2x4 and wrapped the other ends around a section of 1” dowel several times. Stood on the 2x4 and pulled on each line.

There is absolutely no comparison. The Trilene gives much more easily. I had to move so I was standing right on top of the board and pulling straight up to even get the fluoro to stretch. The mono is a rubber band compared to the fluoro.
    Hummm.... did the fluoro get damaged in your test? Was it permanently stretched when you were done? If so did the mono return to the original length?

And keep in mind, big game mono is cheap mono. plenty better stuff available.

As part of my fishing line test adventure I bought some lines from japan. I tested one that was really awesome. Sunline Machine Gun Cast Mono. https://linetestlab.com/test_report/...gun-cast-14lb/ It has a stress strain curve that is nearly linear like a fluorocarbon so it should not have a rubber band feel. It was very low stretch. At 100% of rated capacity (14lbs of force on a 14lb line) it only stretched 51%. I'm excited to try that one when this chicago winter ends.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    Some yes, some no. Why this question? Something wrong with Amazon line?
    I just grabbed some Seaguar Invisx 20# flouro off Amazon, got it delivered and it was tinted brown and clearly not levelwound on the 600 yard spool it came on. It got returned with a full refund. Yes, that could make a difference in your line test results.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    I just grabbed some Seaguar Invisx 20# flouro off Amazon, got it delivered and it was tinted brown and clearly not levelwound on the 600 yard spool it came on. It got returned with a full refund. Yes, that could make a difference in your line test results.
    I just bought some 15lb invizx at the fishing show last weekend. If it tests completely different than the others i'm not going to be happy!

Although I don't believe I got fake line.

Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    I just bought some 15lb invizx at the fishing show last weekend. If it tests completely different than the others i'm not going to be happy!

Although I don't believe I got fake line.
    Saw a post on FB with pictures of a spool of Abrasix that the center of paper on spool had been punched and the line was spooled un-evenly.
    No doubt it was used line.
    I was going to order some off Amazon as it's about $10.00 cheaper than TW. Now I'M reconsidering.
    Not saying that yours was bad-----------but sure sounds like there's some out there.

14. Member
    Seaguar has a linked account to amazon. If you buy it from one of the first links (amazon choice), I doubt it's counterfeited line. I've bought quite a bit from amazon.

Only exception would be if someone scrolled way down, and found a price that seemed way cheaper from a lesser known vendor.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    I use Finns Wind Tamer 20# braid to a 6' InvisX fluoro leader and pair them up with a modified Albright knot. I change out my leader about every 2 trips. A 200 yard spool of flouro lasts a very long time.
    2020 Ranger Z521C, 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke
    2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
    Winona Lake, IN

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    20 lb power pro to p line floroclear.....uni to uni knot no problems.....I reel the knot to the spool and no problems going thru the guides. I fish some deeper lakes where ya fishing 40-60 feet I have a couple reels spooled with all p line....I think it sinks better than braid...

Pitching jig, brush hog, beaver 20 lb straight InvisX Fluoro.
    Lighter worm or other 15 lb straight InvisX Fluoro.
    Crank baits 12 lb straight InvisX Fluoro.
    Drop shot 10lb Suffix 832 braid to 8 lb InvisX Fluoro, with a Uni to Uni knot, leader about 6-8'.
    Top water walking baits (spooks) 12 lb Trilene XL mono.
    Frogs 20-30 lb straight braid. Suffix 832.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

18. Member
    Braid to leader with FG knot, caught thousands of fish with it and never had a problem. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

19. Banned
    I like to throw jerkbaits on spinning rod. Do you use braid to leader on jerks and shad raps?

On Shad raps I have went back and forth. I caught some good ones today on a Shad rap and I spooled 7lb sniper on it before I left the house. It did great but I’ve also cranked with 15lb braid to 7lb sniper leader and it does just fine. I think it’s all about what you like better. Definitely can feel more with braid to fluoro. But with a Shad rap in cold water I’m crawling it and actually think “not” feeing everything can help you not pull the bait away from a sluggish largie. But heck it probably don’t matter lol

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast