Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Straight braid for me. Fish don't seem to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    The fish are always in the head of fishermen. They do not have the cognitive ability to make a connection between line and being caught. If that was the case they must have PTSD swimming in the stalks of weeds.

3. triton
    All Fluorocarbon never any problems

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

Straight FC, Invizx no issues

5. Moderator
    Was always told that Flouro had no stretch. Now it has more stretch than mono. Very confusing.

I've always stuck with copolymer when using spinning reels. It seems floro and mono builds more memory and never had a need for braid on spinning gear because that application is generally fishing open water for me. I never go over 8lb super silver thread in green while using spinning gear. I've also never been a fan of leader line. Just another reason to have a knot come loose. The only leader line that I'll use is attached to the end of my C-rig tied to a barrel swivel.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    The difference is, it takes a greater force to get fluoro stretching in the first place.

So they claim without providing any data. It's great marketing.

At 1.5lbs of force, 15 lb line percent stretch:

Abrazx 9.3%
    Basix 8.8%
    Sufix Advance 7.7%
    Strike king Tour grade 7.2%
    Big game (dry) 6.8%
    Mason T-Line (co polymer) 5%

It's just not true.
    do you buy your line on Amazon?
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Braid to fluorocarbon for me. And honestly I usually use around a 7’ leader so my knot isn’t on the spool when I cast
    THIS !!

9. Member
    I use braid to fluoro but don't like it because of the connection knot. It's my own issue but it I never seem to be able to consistently tie a good connection knot that doesn't catch the guides. I'm going to try straight fluoro on one reel to start the year and see how it goes.

10. Member
    Use a lighter to heat shrink the tag ends
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

11. Member
    P-Line Floroclear, works great on spinning reels. If I use braid, then a floro leader with the Lefty Kreh knot.

I got a spool of Seaguar basix 15 lb right before new yrs day and i have fished 4 tournaments with it throwing a 1/2 ounce football jig in brush and i'll have to say it is really good.It definitely has better abrasion resistance than invisix.Haven't had a breakoff on hookset yet.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 22RangerZ520R View Post
    Straight fluorocarbon here, no issues.
    same

14. Member
    8lb straight fluorocarbon. Pull in 35lb Blue cats with it, no problem. Usually respool twice a year. First trip and mid summer. The first Floro's were garbage but they have come a long way.
    Please release me,let me go.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohirolina View Post
    What brand FC? Vanish used to be the worst for breaking on the hookset. Sometimes at the knot other times middle of the cast length.
    Looked at knot this morning knot was intact it kept breaking at the knot and not at the hook
    . I was using Sniper 8 lb. must have been bad batch because I retied used Albright and it broke.

Thanks for replies

16. Member
    From what I can tell in using FC and mono, mono stretches and returns back to its same form but I don’t think FC does as much. In other words, if you took 5’ of FC and 5’ of mono and applied the same amount of force to both lines, the mono would stretch but also return back to close to 5’ in length. The FC would also stretch but stay stretched. After applying the force to both lines and then removing the force, the FC piece would be longer than the mono. I think that’s what contributes to that springy feel that mono has. It’s also probably why FC feels better/is more sensitive than mono.

I use mono for one bC reel that is mostly used for Topwater plugs and jerkbaits.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

17. Member
    Same here. Although I fish mostly stained water. I do go over a few feet of line with a black marker though.

I've come around to this way of thinking in certain situations. If I'm fishing a 1/4 oz hair jig and small trailer in cold clear water, I still prefer straight FC on spinning, usually 8# Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai. I've caught so many fish using YGK SS112 sinking braid (yellow, amazing line) with a Vision 110 in the same cold, clear water that I have no reason to go back to dealing with the PITA of braid to FC leaders. Now, I will color the last 10' of my line with a black sharpie sometimes, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Without braid your going to be re-spooling every trip

Double Uni-Knot
    Not true. I have been using straight flouro on my spinning reels for 10+ years with only a few that had issues. A lot of it boils down to how the line is spooled. Lots of videos out there showing how to spool flouro on spinning reels.

20. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bngolfen View Post
    Or braid to Fluorcarbon on spinning reels. I had a rough day last Saturday breaking three times braid to Floro. How many of you fish straight Floro on Spinning reels?
    Braid to Fluoro (sunline) for me. I suppose it's your knot if you are using quality line.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast