Thread: Trolling motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor

What is the best trolling motor on the market? Looking to upgrade. I have a z119 with a 225 merc

2. Member
    If you are doing research for a purchase you are probably best off going to the Electrical/Wiring/Trolling motors forum and nosing around there for a while. I don't think there's a "best". In my opinion, you need to consider what attributes are important to you and then figure out which trolling motor ticks more boxes.

^^^ what he said^^^
    IMO what electronics you have will play a big part in you choice.

4. Member
    The one I have of course.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    The one I have of course.
    But of course

To the OP, if you want to mate your electronics to your troller, then the decision is made. If not, the Lowrance Ghost seems to get the best feedback of the 3 newer brands. If you don't need brushless, the Ultrex has been around for a while and is a proven performer now.

If you have another decade to wait, Power Pole may be out with theirs.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    If by best you mean the toughest and most reliable then a Fortrex, get a 36v model.

7. Member
    ghost if you have lowrance -- garmin if you have garmins -- ultrex if you have birds easy peesey!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If by best you mean the toughest and most reliable then a Fortrex, get a 36v model.
    I echo this 100%. I used and borderline abused my fortrex... Still crushes.

But I'm an Ultrex user now. No regrets - Spotlock is worth it's weight in gold.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

I have Ultrex. I have been VERY happy with it. Have had NOT one problem going on probably 4 years or so and I live on a lake and it gets a lot of use.

My main point is I would not buy a new trolling motor without spot lock. It is a great fishing tool. I use it a lot. Ultrex does a lot of other things too which I use .... but spot lock is a deal-breaker for me and other brands make their own version of it as well.

By the way, I pulled of another 24 volt TM and did the swap myself. It is about a 1 day job or even less. I bought my Ultrex from Russell Marine at a good price way back then.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Member
    My opinion is that the connecting with your electronics is really overstated. It's just like all the other do-dads my Ultrex does for me that I don't use (and know very few people that do while bass fishing). Maybe I am missing out big time, but the only function I could imagine using is telling my trolling motor to spot lock on this waypoint. Other than that I wouldn't use contour following, and I don't even know what else there is. It seems so marginal that electronics brand would have very little affect on my choice personally.

Spotlock would be the number 1 thing on my list of things. Even shallow water fishing, I use it all the time. Brushless seems overstated to me as well. Most serious bass fisherman are already outfitted with size 31 trolling batteries (or at least batteries that last a whole day, even if they are smaller), so longevity doesn't really add benefit in my mind. It's like only being able to drink a gallon of milk before it expires, but buying a 3 gallon pale. The power to me is the same. How many fisherman really need more power? I have fished in hellacious wind and my 36V Ultrex with size 31 Sams Club batteries that are 5 years old now have never died and never let me down towing a tank of a ZX225 Skeeter. I think that the noise reduction could be something that actually adds confidence to some of my fishing, but even having Lowrances, I don't know if it would justify the increased price of the Ghost over the Ultrex for me. Quick search yielded an Ultrex for $2800 from BPS and a Ghost for $3500. That's $700 for a motor that the only benefit I would see would be a bit quieter.

I guess ultimately my recommendation is the Ultrex. It may not be the newest or prettiest, but it covers all my bases (and all the bases of most fisherman I know), saves a chunk of money, and I know what will more than likely need serviced, where I can take it to have it serviced, how to do most of the service myself, and where I can buy parts. Maybe the others are the same way on the service part, IDK.

11. Member
    I had an Ultrex which was great for 3 years until the steering sensor went out one week into a 6 week trip to Lake Champlain. Couldn't get it repaired in time to save the trip so bought a new Fortrex that worked fine and save the trip but I sure missed the spot lock. When I got home I installed a new ghost which has been great. Have since repaired the Ultrex so I now have a Fortrex and Ultrex as spares. The ghost is a cleaner installation as far as wire and cable management.

12. Member
    Is anyone using a 24 Volt ultrex with spot lock on a Z520C? If so, how do you like the performance?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    My opinion is that the connecting with your electronics is really overstated. It's just like all the other do-dads my Ultrex does for me that I don't use (and know very few people that do while bass fishing). Maybe I am missing out big time, but the only function I could imagine using is telling my trolling motor to spot lock on this waypoint. Other than that I wouldn't use contour following, and I don't even know what else there is. It seems so marginal that electronics brand would have very little affect on my choice personally.

Spotlock would be the number 1 thing on my list of things. Even shallow water fishing, I use it all the time. Brushless seems overstated to me as well. Most serious bass fisherman are already outfitted with size 31 trolling batteries (or at least batteries that last a whole day, even if they are smaller), so longevity doesn't really add benefit in my mind. It's like only being able to drink a gallon of milk before it expires, but buying a 3 gallon pale. The power to me is the same. How many fisherman really need more power? I have fished in hellacious wind and my 36V Ultrex with size 31 Sams Club batteries that are 5 years old now have never died and never let me down towing a tank of a ZX225 Skeeter. I think that the noise reduction could be something that actually adds confidence to some of my fishing, but even having Lowrances, I don't know if it would justify the increased price of the Ghost over the Ultrex for me. Quick search yielded an Ultrex for $2800 from BPS and a Ghost for $3500. That's $700 for a motor that the only benefit I would see would be a bit quieter.

I guess ultimately my recommendation is the Ultrex. It may not be the newest or prettiest, but it covers all my bases (and all the bases of most fisherman I know), saves a chunk of money, and I know what will more than likely need serviced, where I can take it to have it serviced, how to do most of the service myself, and where I can buy parts. Maybe the others are the same way on the service part, IDK.
    I agree with you that connecting electronics to trolling motors is overrated with most bass fisherman. I don't even bother connecting my 2D since I'm running livescope and 360.

I will disagree on the brushless motor though. I have a force, and ran ultrex's for years. I think the brushless motor, improved cable management, and better mount make the added expense over the ultrex worth it imo. And when you get into an ultrex with ipilot link / DI / SI, they are right around the same price as the force / ghost.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I agree with you that connecting electronics to trolling motors is overrated with most bass fisherman. I don't even bother connecting my 2D since I'm running livescope and 360.

I will disagree on the brushless motor though. I have a force, and ran ultrex's for years. I think the brushless motor, improved cable management, and better mount make the added expense over the ultrex worth it imo. And when you get into an ultrex with ipilot link / DI / SI, they are right around the same price as the force / ghost.

I tend to agree with Thamelau on this one, but only because of how I fish. All my stuff is setup to work together and I have never used it once, I just fish simply. Now if it ever failed me and needed replacing, I do appreciate the insight on the force. I get a feeling my ultrex will last me a long while yet, but one never knows.

Lot of good info here and again in the trolling section to read up on. Lots and lots of opinions, IMO the main thing I think is be realistic on how you will use and so you get what you need.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    Is anyone using a 24 Volt ultrex with spot lock on a Z520C? If so, how do you like the performance?
    I would get a 36 volt for sure on a boat that size.

16. Member
    I have the same boat as OP and the Ghost sits on mine as there were already a couple Lowrance units there.

If you only fish on dead calm days and don’t want to move around much, it might work. I have a 24V Ultrex on my 18’ Bass Cat and have considered moving up to 36V. Your boat is twice my boat (literally), so I don’t think you would be happy at 24V.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    it will be the move by PP 100%. no matter what brand lowrance garmin , minn kota or PP you choose we can get it to you at a great price fast and free and no tax

19. #FRB
    I run an Ultrex and love it. If I had to replace it I'd probably get a Ghost since it seems to be a proven unit now but the brushless Ultrex that may or may not be out yet seems promising. On a 19+ foot glass rig do 36v for sure.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. #FRB
    It'll work...BARELY. Would be about like having a 12v on a 17' aluminum rig.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast