20# Lee pot not getting hot enough to melt lead

20# pot won’t melt lead completely. It gets to about 100 degrees from melting and won’t get hotter. Any ideas what to check or how to check? I pulled the panel off and wiring looks good and clean. If I have to replace the temp control where can I find one?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The only thing external that could really cause it would be low line voltage. Check the other half of the outlet while the pot is on.

What temperature does it get to and where do you have it set?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Moderator
    I will check that. I had this plugged into the wall on a 20amp circuit I specifically ran for things like this. I don’t recall the exact temp but it would get to around 450-500 with a laser temp gage. This is with the control maxed out. This is why I thought maybe the control was bad. I assume it’s just a potentiometer.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I will check that. I had this plugged into the wall on a 20amp circuit I specifically ran for things like this. I don’t recall the exact temp but it would get to around 450-500 with a laser temp gage. This is with the control maxed out. This is why I thought maybe the control was bad. I assume it’s just a potentiometer.
    I think there is a mechanical thermostat under the control. My bet is Lee sells replacements. I think your thermostat is bad, but I always check the easy stuff first before spending money, whether it’s mine or someone else’s!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Call up Lee and tell them what the problem is. In the past if it wasn't too expensive, they sent me a new one free of charge.

6. Member
    It is either your power supply or the heating element. I had a 10# production pot that I sent in and LEE refurbished it for $25. I had to pay to send it out but they shipped it back for free. I'm telling you this because mine was doing the same thing. Turned all the way up it was getting hot but only to about 350 degrees. LEE told me they had to replace a heating element but they also replaced the plunger, lever and the liner.

7. Moderator
    Thanks guys. I will double check it in a different plug on the wall and then give Lee a call to discuss.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Call up Lee and tell them what the problem is. In the past if it wasn't too expensive, they sent me a new one free of charge.
    I should have clarified. A new thermostat not the whole unit. Also Like smalljaw67 mentioned, if you ship it to them on your dime many times they will fix it for free and ship it back to you fully functional.

9. Moderator
    Lee has amazing customer service. Sending me a thermostat and coil at no charge. All I had to pay was for shipping. Hope this fixes the issue. Need to be pouring some egg sinkers for offshore fishing coming up.

10. Moderator
    To help anyone in the future, replacing the element and thermostat fixed my issue. Not sure which one was the culprit but I think it was the element. Very rusted and not making great contact. New items installed and poured a lot of egg weights last night. Stocking up for reef fishing this summer.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max