Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    1st one I remember was a Spotted bass when I was 4 or 5. Caught it on a crawdad in Texoma. Mom, Dad, Sister in a 14 ft LoneStar with a 18 horse Johnson. Right after that I caught a small Carp.

2. Member
    My dad took me fishing I was about 9 or 10. He (said) I caught a sucker fish. I bragged about that for a long time. I remember when I caught my first bass. I was hook and sinker fishing for catfish when I snagged a piece of monofilament. I pulled it in hand over hand and a bass struck a Mepps inline spinner that was on the line. That was the end of catfishing for me.

First one I remember was a bluegill, dad wouldn’t take it off hook. I’m sure it wasn’t first fish. I’d of been 3-4 years old.

Pond seemed big, but I could easily cast across it all from one spot now.

4. Member
    No

No, but I was 3 and there is a pic….somewhere.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Yes, small catfish caught out of a farm pond in Kentucky

I do not remember it.

8. Member
    I remember the first fish and the spot. I was probably 7 or 8 years old. Reeled several in my dad caught, but I distinctly remember catching my very first on my own. It was a ring perch. Rember and have some pictures of the first fish my daughter caught on her own too.

I am on the right...

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Who controls John Gill?

11. Member
    I remember my first bass. Baseball team party. I was 7 or 8. Coach had about 1/4 acre pond. I had a worm and a cork. Caught a 5 1/2lb. I was hooked. Lucky that pond was small because only the bank stopped that fish because my zebco wasn’t. Lol

12. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Every fish I catch feels like the first one

Yep. A catfish. I was 4 yrs old. I begged to fish the stream behind my uncle's house. Everyone said there were no fish in the creek. (I didn't understand at the time but he was quite the fisherman. We were seldom allowed into his garage. When he got a cane pole for me, I was able to spy a huge collection of tackle and rods.) Photos: the fish, and my sisters(on th ends) and cousin splashing in that creek.

Tim First Fish a8014.jpga8016.jpg
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

14. Member
    I am sure I caught lots of bluegill earlier but I vividly remember my first bass on a plug. It was a Rebel humpback shallow diver and my dad had taken me to the city park on Watts Bar lake. There was a stump about 20 feet away and I cast an old spinning rod toward it. As the bait came by the stump a 12 inch monster ate it and ruined my life, lol. Thanks dad!
    Born to fish, forced to work.

15. Member
    My Dad had it on Super 8 film. I was 3 or 4 years old reeling in a pumpkinseed with him and my uncle. I was holding it up laughing and drooling.

16. Member
    Don’t remember the actual fishing but I remember they were trout from a stocked pond. We cleaned them and cooked them with the heads still on. My dad told my little sister to watch them cook and when the fish winked they would be done.
    John the Garage Doorman

Don't know the age, probably 2-3 years old and was from a pond on my grandparents place in Lawrenceburg, TN.

18. Member
    First time fishing was on a jetty at a powerplant on the Ct river in Hartford where I lived at the time. I was around 8 or 9. We were catching bullheads and walking them back to a group of guys who were taking them for food. My older brother saw a bucket floating on a weedpile close to the jetty and said to reach down and grab it. That was the second time in my life he almost killed my stupid child ass. I fell in and had to be rescued by my brother and a cousin who we were with that day. First time he almost killed me I was 4. I was blowing bubbles in a puddle in the street with a section of hollow jump rope. My brother threw it across the street and I tried to retrieve it and ran in front of a car getting hit..

When I started club fishing at age 32 I returned to that fishing spot for the first time. It was by boat as a club coangler. The current was fast and the channel ran against the jetty. The water was 14 feet deep there. Luckily I had completed some swimming lessons the summer I fell in. I played hooky from my lessons to go fishing that day. I could swim just good enough to stay afloat then grab hold of the rocks before getting swept in the current.

Funny thing is I saw my cousin today at the meat counter where I work. Its the first time I have seen him since my brothers funeral/memorial service this past August.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 02-01-2023 at 06:06 PM.

The First bass over 6 pounds I vividly remember and that was over 40 years ago. That is what really hooked me as a young teenager. I grew up in a rural area so I am sure the first fishing trip was at our clubhouse or local farmers pond.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

20. Member
    I do not remember catching it as I was too young but my grandfather had it mounted. It was a decent size crappie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast