Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmooskapaul View Post
    I've put your database and website on my favorites list. Really good info...thanks.

Also, the abrasion resistance time for BG 15lb mono is quite impressive. If I'm interpreting it correctly.
    Abrasion test is a 2" arbor turning at 30 rpm. Line makes a 90 degree wrap around the arbor. Arbor is covered with a 150 grit abrasive. A 100 gram weight is attached one end of the line and the other is attached to the load cell (a fixed point). The value is how much time until the line brakes.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Great database you have.

if I may ask, what do the Line Test Lab Rating numbers mean?

i see Bassix is rated at 5 and Abrazx is rated as 1. Just curious as what those mean
    100% honestly right now it is just me picking a number 1-5 how I think it did on the test. I probably should just leave it at zero.

The idea was to set values to each test criteria and award a point for each test it passed. I don't have enough data to set the pass/fail values to do that yet.

I hope to have my fishing line stiffness test finished by the end of the month.

Goal is to have:
    1) max force
    2) Palomar knot strength
    3) stretch
    4) abrasion resistance
    5) line stiffness

5 test results, 5 points.

3. Member
    I don't think a single palomar is a good knot for braid as it slips. I've always doubled it up by making two overhand knots before placing the hook/ bait through the loop. Try testing that.
    Interesting independent study. Keep up the good work.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    100% honestly right now it is just me picking a number 1-5 how I think it did on the test. I probably should just leave it at zero.

The idea was to set values to each test criteria and award a point for each test it passed. I don't have enough data to set the pass/fail values to do that yet.

Goal is to have:
    1) max force
    2) Palomar knot strength
    3) stretch
    4) abrasion resistance
    5) line stiffness

That’s a good way of doing it, you’re doing the lords work for sure haha. I don’t think there’s another database out there for line. There’s the rod builders database that can compare blanks but it’s nice to have another tool to use to make decisions
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    I don't think a single palomar is a good knot for braid as it slips. I've always doubled it up by making two overhand knots before placing the hook/ bait through the loop. Try testing that.
    Interesting independent study. Keep up the good work.
    It isn't possible for a correctly tied palomar knot to slip. I have used braid with a Palomar knot for probably 15 years, and done plenty of testing and I have never had that happen.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 02-03-2023 at 11:28 AM.

6. Member
    Very cool database. What do the columns for 10%, 20%, 30% etc.. mean? I was confused by that.

UPDATE: Disregard my question. I got to looking around on the website more and found that this was the line stretch percentage at 10%, 20%, etc... of rated line strength.
    Last edited by coreynov902; 02-03-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    It isn't possible for a correctly tied palomar knot to slip. I have used braid with a Palomar not for probably 15 years, and done plenty of testing and I have never had that happen.

All knots are going to "slip" a bit. When the line stretches a knots will stretch as well.

That is true if any knot.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post

Goal is to have:
    1) max force
    2) Palomar knot strength
    3) stretch
    4) abrasion resistance
    5) line stiffness

Very cool you are doing this. I think once you get results ironed completely out and test procedures dialed in it could hurt some feelings and blow away some misconceptions.

Now we just need someone with unlimited money to buy all the bass boats and do true head to head comparisons
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I would be interested hear why your numbers varied significantly from Pure Fishing's numbers as the employee from Pure Fishing pointed out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    It isn't possible for a correctly tied palomar knot to slip. I have used braid with a Palomar not for probably 15 years, and done plenty of testing and I have never had that happen.
    I've been tying a Palomar knot exclusively for almost 30 years. Mono, flouro and braid. If don't feel I did it properly I will cut off and retire 2 , 3 times before im confidant I tied it perfectly. There is definitely a process to tying any knot to preform at its best.

11. Member
    Appreciate the feedback I may try it in the future after all the Power Pro I bought this spring runs out.
    Bass Boat