People using half the screen on YouTube videos

Most of the Livescope videos I've seen on YouTube guys have 10"and 12" units but there depth setting is where they're only using the top half of the screen. Are they doing this for a particular reason. Here is an example

Only time I do that is when the depth can vary enough that you need to do that to see the bottom at the deeper depths
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    I've wondered the same thing. I adjust depth a lot during a trip.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

4. Member
    I mainly fish for open water suspended fish in water 15 to 50 feet. I set my depth at 20 fish because most of the active fish here this time of year are from 3 to 15 feet deep.

5. Member
    Fish here are in the 8 to 15 foot range in open water. Removing the bottom makes those fish appear bigger (easier to see) onscreen.

6. Member
    There were some threads here a couple of year ago about this. My take on it was that your screen has a ratio, say 16:9 like a computer and zooming in or out in a mismatched ratio stretched the picture one way or the other, not providing a realistic view. Do some searching in this forum if you want to read through the discussions.

7. Member
    I have seen that also, the bottom is like halfway up the screen. I am always adjusting to keep the bottom as low as I can to fill up the space with the water. Sometimes it is a lot to do if you are boating over humps and the depth moves a lot.

8. Member
    I only have a 93SV UHD and I run my depth on auto and it keeps a full screen most of the time sometimes I'll need to adjust it manually. It seems to me it kinda defeats the purpose of having a large screen to only use half of it.

One thing I noticed in the video above after posting the question is he has his distance set at 100' so that may have something to do with it. I never have my range over 50'.

9. Member
    One factor for the guys who fish a ton could be judging fish size. Say you normally fish from 25 feet down to shallow. If you don't adjust your depth when you are in 12 feet, when you see that fish you are going to have a better grasp on its exact size, vs if you adjusted the bottom depth and zoomed the image in.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    I've fished at night for crappie that were suspended at 14ft. in very deep water. & set my bottom depth at 20 feet. Why do you need to see 40 or 50 or 100ft. deep when the fish you're after are at 14ft? No different than setting a max depth range on any other brand.

11. Member
    I think this is one of those settings where personal preference is the main reason to use it. Although if fishing an active school of fish I will zoom in or change the depth selection. However if you are not locked in to a predominant depth I want to see where the fish are and decide what my best tactic might be. Might be a good time to paint the fence in stead (not really). JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Here is a good video on why some shrink their screen

13. Member
    The Garmin Guru has been a life saver for me. I get a lot of folks asking me to get on their boat and help them with LiveScope. I get all that but there's no way on one outing that I could cover all the stuff the the Guru covers in his videos. And he does a great job. I tell them that first they need to get on the Garmin Guru channel and watch his videos. It will do more for them than this kind of trip to the lake. Thank you Garmin Guru!!!!!
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

14. Member
    Here is a Garmin Guru video on the subject.

15. Member
    So no one uses the auto setting for depth? I get that it distorts the fish size? but if there is bait or other fish around wouldnt that give the user a size comparison as well as a larger read out?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    So no one uses the auto setting for depth? I get that it distorts the fish size? but if there is bait or other fish around wouldnt that give the user a size comparison as well as a larger read out?
    I haven't tried it since I first got livescope a few years ago, but when it would constantly adjust as I panned around it drove me nuts. I just do the typical set it 5 feet deeper than you are fishing method now.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package