Thread: Adult Kids

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. Member
    Depends on the kid and how hard they are trying.

2. Member
    2 years of electrical/instrumentation at community college here get you recruited with offers from $20-40 per hour with no experience. Yes, local mfg plant starting newbies at $80k because they can’t keep people in the nasty, hot place. Those that are willing to work and have a plan can do just fine. But so many keep sending there kid to college for some useless or over populated degree. Crazy to me.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    I see the hard life has also made you very angry.
    Sorry Im so late getting this. I just saw it.
    I am not the least bit angry! I think im a very happy guy overall. I have a wonderful wife and children. A great career and a bass boat. I even have time to go fishing from time to time... However, some things tend to make me angry sometimes. Mostly guys that whine and cry that they "just can't make it..." While not even trying to change their life.
    ANYONE with a heartbeat and a little drive can make it in this country IF THEY ARE WILLING! I am just getting sick and tired of soooooo many people sitting around and complaining about how bad they have it growing up in this world yet REFUSE to go get a job and or take an entry level job and expect to make as much as the CEO!
    So many kids these days get out of college or high school and somehow expect to be at the same financial status immediately as their parents that took their parents their entire working career to get to... Somehow we have missed the conversation with our kids, apparently, that hard work pays off! Or delayed gratification is worth the hard work...
    I have never known someone to wake up the day after graduation a millionaire! I don't understand why sooooo many in this latest generation seem to HATE business owners.
    I here soooo much about the 1percenters... WHO CARES! Who cares about the one percenters! Start worrying about YOU! You could end up being a 1percenter!
    88% of millionaires in this country are first generation "rich!" Do you know what that means? That simply means that almost 9 out of 10 millionaires worked their ENTIRE CAREER to become a millionaire! They didn't inherit it. They didn't win the lottery. They didn't wake up in pillows stuffed with dollars. THEY WORKED for it!
    I somehow think that many kids these days think that guys like me work 23hrs a day in a coal mine or something. I certainly don't do that. I work almost always 40hrs a week.
    But Im thankful for those men that did! So I didn't have to. But if that was the only way to make ends meet today, I'd be as close to first in line for my family! I wouldn't need a cry closet or a safe space... I hope you don't somehow assume that I have tried in someway to single you out. Or even accuse YOU, personally, of these things. I am not.
    However, I see this on a pretty regular basis. As do most any other hard working guy at all kinds of careers all over this country! I am tired of hearing, "there's no jobs. They don't pay enough... They treat you like crap...." There are thousands if not MILLIONS of amazing paying jobs with great working conditions all over the place! And these places CAN NOT FIND ANYONE TO FILL THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    For however many thousands fail, how many suck it up try again, and how many bitch about how life isn’t fair and move into their parents’ basement?

My kids are welcome to move home if things get hard, and they know it. I couldn’t sleep at night if they were hungry or on the street. If they leap for the stars, we will be there to catch them. But we will not carry them through life, and they would be offended if we offered.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    This is a hot topic at our house - second marriage for me, and we each have two adult children, ages 32, 29, 29, 25. My two were fortunate enough to get college degrees, and both make over 125k a year. They STILL have trouble saving enough money to purchase their first home. Sure, they can afford to live in a decent apartment complex that’s safe (1800 a month minimum in Dallas), drive a decent but not fancy car, and eat out occasionally. But padding their savings, that comes in small increments. Minimum house cost not in a ghetto here? About 350k. That’s a minimum 35k down payment - not easy to accumulate even at their good salaries.

The other two kids aren’t educated, but work hard and make about 50k a year. Complete disaster. Can barely make it to the next check. Every unplanned expense becomes credit card debt, as they have no savings. Sure, they can find a place to rent for 800 a month, but they’ll deal daily with car break ins and the constant threat of violent crime, as both are single females. It’s not 1980 anymore.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    both make over 125k a year. They STILL have trouble saving enough money to purchase their first home. . Minimum house cost not in a ghetto here? About 350k. That’s a minimum 35k down payment - not easy to accumulate even at their good salaries.
    Man I find that hard to believe. You said over 125K - even at 125K if they only brought home 60% of their paycheck that's $6250.00 a month, almost $1500.00 per week.

A 450K home with 45K down and 12K a year in taxes and insurance monthly payment at 7% would be around $3,600 too 3,700 a month, wow!

We have friends that lived in Haslet for a while and visited several times. Great area, they were close to the track and BN railroad place.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Man I find that hard to believe. You said over 125K - even at 125K if they only brought home 60% of their paycheck that's $6250.00 a month, almost $1500.00 per week.

A 450K home with 45K down and 12K a year in taxes and insurance monthly payment at 7% would be around $3,600 too 3,700 a month, wow!

We have friends that lived in Haslet for a while and visited several times. Great area, they were close to the track and BN railroad place.
    Yep - me too. First 2400 or so goes to basic living - 1800 for rent, 150 for utilities, 150 internet and TV, 150 cell phone. Then add 600 dollar car note, 200 for insurance, and both commute, so add 400 a month for gas. We’re at 3500 and they haven’t left the house yet. Now add in student loans at 1000 per month - 4500 now gone. Basic groceries and supplies / incidentals 400 a month. Now add in health insurance (one has no work benefits) at a ridiculous 700 a month, now we’re at 5600. Eat out once a week or grab a beer somewhere - another 150. Now save for a house 500 a month, and count on not a single other expense like tires, a vacation, trying to date, or paying a health care or dental deductible, and you’re looking at 5-6 years to get a down payment. Still find it hard to believe? Me too, but that’s the reality of a single 29 year old college graduate in a big city. It’s really not easy for them.

I’ll edit to add emphasis on single. Adding a second person doesn’t change expenses all that much, and the second income becomes savings. That’s the key.

We like Haslet other than the traffic. It’s one of the last areas in DFW that’s in town, that you can get some land.
    Last edited by blakesfav; 02-04-2023 at 09:10 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    Considering his version of reality is that, then yes.
    That’s what you’re passing as cognitive reasoning, okie dokie
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

9. Member
    I understand how hard it is for young folks getting started. It is nothing new. But it still is about expectations and decisions. It took us 25 years to live where we "wanted" to live. After I screwed up and bought a new car as soon as I started working it didn't take me long to realize I didn't need a new car. I just needed transportation to get me around. Bought me an old truck cash. You can probably cut 1800 in rent in half or more by buying a nice travel trailer and park it in a longterm park by a local lake. Not ideal but would work out nicely for a while for a single guy. I don't know what a $150 dollar phone bill gets you but my phone bill is $65 per month for unlimited data etc. $600 car payment..........My wife's BMW is not 600 per month. Yes, these things are not ideal and probably not what you "want to do. Cutting those items in half would free up $1500 per month. Thats 36k in 2 years. There is a down payment for a place you may want to live. I have no problem with young people wanting better things fast, nice home, nice car, etc. but if that's what you choose don't bitch about how hard it is. I'll let you in on a little secret. Life is always hard. It may be financial today, health tomorrow, and a host of other things that come along. I can tell you financially, the bumpier the road you choose when you get started, the faster you get to the smooth highway down the road. Make a budget for the path you want to take and live within that budget or as close to it as possible to get to the goals you plan.

10. Banned
    Yep - me too. First 2400 or so goes to basic living - 1800 for rent, 150 for utilities, 150 internet and TV, 150 cell phone. Then add 600 dollar car note, 200 for insurance, and both commute, so add 400 a month for gas. We’re at 3500 and they haven’t left the house yet. Now add in student loans at 1000 per month - 4500 now gone. Basic groceries and supplies / incidentals 400 a month. Now add in health insurance (one has no work benefits) at a ridiculous 700 a month, now we’re at 5600. Eat out once a week or grab a beer somewhere - another 150. Now save for a house 500 a month, and count on not a single other expense like
    If it were my kids they would get this advise - $800.00 a month for a vehicle is just ridiculous! $150.00 for a cell, find another carrier (we have 4 phones on one plan unlimited everything for that amount.) And no way you cant get internet and some sort of TV for less than $150.00 but.........

Best of luck to them both but maybe find a job in another city? Glad to hear they are trying to pay the student loans but 1K a month seems very high!

It's like some of you are trying to intentionally not understand lol
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    It's like some of you are trying to intentionally not understand lol

Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Yep - me too. First 2400 or so goes to basic living - 1800 for rent, 150 for utilities, 150 internet and TV, 150 cell phone. Then add 600 dollar car note, 200 for insurance, and both commute, so add 400 a month for gas. We’re at 3500 and they haven’t left the house yet. Now add in student loans at 1000 per month - 4500 now gone. Basic groceries and supplies / incidentals 400 a month. Now add in health insurance (one has no work benefits) at a ridiculous 700 a month, now we’re at 5600. Eat out once a week or grab a beer somewhere - another 150. Now save for a house 500 a month, and count on not a single other expense like tires, a vacation, trying to date, or paying a health care or dental deductible, and you’re looking at 5-6 years to get a down payment. Still find it hard to believe? Me too, but that’s the reality of a single 29 year old college graduate in a big city. It’s really not easy for them.

I’ll edit to add emphasis on single. Adding a second person doesn’t change expenses all that much, and the second income becomes savings. That’s the key.

We like Haslet other than the traffic. It’s one of the last areas in DFW that’s in town, that you can get some land.
    They could save a bunch of money by raising and eating rabbit
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

14. Member
    There are a lot of adult kids out there living at home rent free with nice boats and trucks. I couldn’t get out of the house soon enough when I turned 18 but am also envious of people with better relationships with their parents than me. I try not to judge.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I understand how hard it is for young folks getting started. It is nothing new. But it still is about expectations and decisions. It took us 25 years to live where we "wanted" to live. After I screwed up and bought a new car as soon as I started working it didn't take me long to realize I didn't need a new car. I just needed transportation to get me around. Bought me an old truck cash. You can probably cut 1800 in rent in half or more by buying a nice travel trailer and park it in a longterm park by a local lake. Not ideal but would work out nicely for a while for a single guy. I don't know what a $150 dollar phone bill gets you but my phone bill is $65 per month for unlimited data etc. $600 car payment..........My wife's BMW is not 600 per month. Yes, these things are not ideal and probably not what you "want to do. Cutting those items in half would free up $1500 per month. Thats 36k in 2 years. There is a down payment for a place you may want to live. I have no problem with young people wanting better things fast, nice home, nice car, etc. but if that's what you choose don't bitch about how hard it is. I'll let you in on a little secret. Life is always hard. It may be financial today, health tomorrow, and a host of other things that come along. I can tell you financially, the bumpier the road you choose when you get started, the faster you get to the smooth highway down the road. Make a budget for the path you want to take and live within that budget or as close to it as possible to get to the goals you plan.
    It all sounds easy, but that’s the reality of a city. Live in a travel trailer - maybe so, but he has to buy one. Then the closest place he could hook it up is another 40 minutes in traffic further out of the city. Then deal with the crime, since every trailer place within a 40 mile drive of Dallas is a center for illegal immigration. Decrease his car note? Not easy, since he tows a 10000 pound trailer multiple days a week. Hard to do in a Camry. Cell phones here are minimum a hundred a month. I doubt your standard of living at 30 was any different than what his is now, other than expenses for electronics. The math is much different now than it was then (I was there). Yes I agree that young people have the same expectations for their life that we had at that age. It’s easy to forget.

Also send me your dealer on the BMW. I’m assuming it probably cost 60k minimum. Assuming you’re in his position and manage to scrape 10 percent down, finance 5 years at 5 percent, the note is over 1000 a month. So if yours is 600, then you probably paid nearly half of it in cash. It’s a nice position to be in, but not many 29 year old have 30k to drop on a car down payment. He bought a f250 with 90k miles on it with a minimal down payment. It has over 200k now and still going. That’s reality.
    Last edited by blakesfav; 02-04-2023 at 07:03 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    They could save a bunch of money by raising and eating rabbit
    Lol I don’t disagree. In the late 80s one of my buddies decided to go all in on the future of fast food - rabbit. Low fat, tasty, and simple to produce cheap like chicken. It didn’t pan out and he lost a ton of money. He seemed surprised lol.

17. Member
    As soon as I could make money I gave the majority of it to my folks to pay bills. That started in Elementary school milking cows 3x a day for $20 a week. Then used every dime I had in college to keep their lights on. The laziness of these worthless beings is killing our world.

18. Member
    It all sounds easy, but that’s the reality of a city. Live in a travel trailer - maybe so, but he has to buy one. Then the closest place he could hook it up is another 40 minutes in traffic further out of the city. Then deal with the crime, since every trailer place within a 40 mile drive of Dallas is a center for illegal immigration. Decrease his car note? Not easy, since he tows a 10000 pound trailer multiple days a week. Hard to do in a Camry. Cell phones here are minimum a hundred a month. I doubt your standard of living at 30 was any different than what his is now, other than expenses for electronics. The math is much different now than it was then (I was there). Yes I agree that young people have the same expectations for their life that we had at that age. It’s easy to forget.

Also send me your dealer on the BMW. I’m assuming it probably cost 60k minimum. Assuming you’re in his position and manage to scrape 10 percent down, finance 5 years at 5 percent, the note is over 1000 a month. So if yours is 600, then you probably paid nearly half of it in cash. It’s a nice position to be in, but not many 29 year old have 30k to drop on a car down payment. He bought a f250 with 90k miles on it with a minimal down payment. It has over 200k now and still going. That’s reality.
    I tow 10,000 lb trailers all the time I am in my late 20s and I have never had a vehicle payment. Move out of the city and you won't have to pay as much rent, also for cell phone Straight talk is $50 a month for unlimited, talk, text and data and it is nationwide.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910