Thread: Busbar at Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Busbar at Bow

Hey guys, I have a 2020 Eyra with a livescope added at the factory and am about to add a 360. My understanding is that BCB includes a bow Busbar from the factory but am just wondering if it’s better to keep up in the bow or move to the rod locker (that’s where I have the garmin black box). Just thinking that with both a livescope and 360, if I’m ever having issues, it’s easier to troubleshoot with a Busbar in the rod locker as opposed to having to take off the trolling motor pedal. Would like to understand if anyone else has done this, and if not, wondering why the Busbar is mounted under the trolling motor as opposed to rod locker from the factory.

2. Member
    I have a 2019 cougar, I didn't see a busbar at the bow just the heavy gauge wire. I made a small busbar that worked great, but I'm adding a second unit so think I will have to upgrade to a larger busbar.

Unless it just changed, there is not a buss bar. There is a ring terminal for electronics though. You can move it or not. Either would work just use good components.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Ok thank you this is very helpful. I think I’m going to mount the Busbar next to the black box in the passenger rod locker and upgrade to 6 gauge wire from the console. Having the connections accessible will be helpful in case I ever need to troubleshoot anything.

I looked under the access at the bow on my 2021 Eyra and found two 6 gauge wires coming up the center. Looks like it goes to TM plug, I can't find any 6 gauge wires anywhere else. I had a spare power wire but I used that to power my 360. Trying to hunt these down to rig my livescope.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jignpig_72 View Post
    I looked under the access at the bow on my 2021 Eyra and found two 6 gauge wires coming up the center. Looks like it goes to TM plug, I can't find any 6 gauge wires anywhere else. I had a spare power wire but I used that to power my 360. Trying to hunt these down to rig my livescope.
    I ran 8 Gauge from the battery following the same path as the 6 Gauge for the trolling motor. I attached the 6 gauge to a Blue Sea Buss which is under the round access port in front of the trolling motor pedal. This powers a Helix 12 and 10, a Garmin 12 a Livescope and Mega 360.

Rick, you pulled the wires through the center of boat? Looks like mine come up the center, was it difficult?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jignpig_72 View Post
    Rick, you pulled the wires through the center of boat? Looks like mine come up the center, was it difficult?

I just completed the job and it was easy to pull the wires through the bilge, however I may of made a mistake. I just read that I may have interference issues from the trolling motor battery cables.

Gotcha, so you havn't tested it out yet. Let me know when you try it and if it works or not.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerbass10 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 2020 Eyra with a livescope added at the factory and am about to add a 360. My understanding is that BCB includes a bow Busbar from the factory but am just wondering if it’s better to keep up in the bow or move to the rod locker (that’s where I have the garmin black box). Just thinking that with both a livescope and 360, if I’m ever having issues, it’s easier to troubleshoot with a Busbar in the rod locker as opposed to having to take off the trolling motor pedal. Would like to understand if anyone else has done this, and if not, wondering why the Busbar is mounted under the trolling motor as opposed to rod locker from the factory.
    there is 6ga and a buss bar up front. The only issue with relocating is stretching the power cords from your electronics to the rod locker. They more than likely won’t reach to a place that makes them easier to work on. Better just taking the few screws out of the trolling motor pedal.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I just completed the job and it was easy to pull the wires through the bilge, however I may of made a mistake. I just read that I may have interference issues from the trolling motor battery cables.
    Correct. Never a good idea to run power wires of electronic devices close to the troller wiring. Best to run them up the driver’s side to the console or bow.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Correct. Never a good idea to run power wires of electronic devices close to the troller wiring. Best to run them up the driver’s side to the console or bow.

Thanks for the feedback. They've been re run down the starboard side.

13. Member
    Ok guys I ordered both a Blue Seas dual Busbar and fuse panel to see which I like better. I removed the trolling motor pedal last night to see where these could be mounted and don’t see an ice flat surface. I watched the John Crews rigging video and definitely do not want to leave mine not secured like that, so curious as to where guys actually secure the busbars/fuse panels.

14. Member
    I did like you are proposing. I just made up a little mount for everything out of stainless steel and mounted in the rod locker
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

A 2020 Eyra should have the 6 gauge from battery to console, tied to a buss bar at the console, then 10 gauge wire running into the bow area.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    A 2020 Eyra should have the 6 gauge from battery to console, tied to a buss bar at the console, then 10 gauge wire running into the bow area.
    That’s correct. I’m going to be replacing the 10 with 6, even though I’m aware BCB hasn’t seen issues with the 10. My question is on current models where does BCB mount the bus at the bow? I run multiple graphs with livescope and adding 360 and feel like the bus should be mounted somewhere under the trolling motor. Just can’t seem to find a good place to secure it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerbass10 View Post
    That’s correct. I’m going to be replacing the 10 with 6, even though I’m aware BCB hasn’t seen issues with the 10. My question is on current models where does BCB mount the bus at the bow? I run multiple graphs with livescope and adding 360 and feel like the bus should be mounted somewhere under the trolling motor. Just can’t seem to find a good place to secure it.
    Mine is not mounted and just sits under bow access panel.

I grabbed some high strength velcro and attached it underneath in front of access hole. See what happens when it gets hot, hopefully holds.
    I can't believe they dont mount it up there, that bussbar has to take a beating at times.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Mine is not mounted and just sits under bow access panel.
    thanks! Surprising BCB doesn’t mount from the factor considering how much the bow moves around. Im mounting mine inside the hole under the pedal on the flat surface if you reach directly toward the back of the boat. Also using a Blue Seas Busbar so that each wire is connected on a different point, rather than stacked like they come from the factory. Thank you for your help here.

Just consider where it is,water does get in there, you don't want that submerged
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast