Thread: 16 volt battery

16 volt battery

I looking to upgrade my battery situation with my two 106sv’s one for mapping the other with live-scope both units are now mounted. My day on the water is generally no more than 10 hrs or so. Does anyone have a setup like this an running a 16 volt battery just too the front units?

Also I’d like to buy from a board sponsor, anyone running a sale on the 16 volt 60 amp battery?

2. BBC SPONSOR
    We offer a full line of lithium products including the 16v

Feel free to call me to discuss your options

Bill

205-965-8436

No advantage to running 16v but if you want to spend the extra $100 go for it. 60a will give you 10+ hours

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Yes sir. We have our powerhouse
    16 volt 60ah ah discounted to BBC members right now.
    Best warranty in the industry as well 15 years total 10 years non prorated.

Forgive my ignorance, but why go to a 16v battery when these units are 12v? Will they run off of 16v and what is the benefit? Just looking to learn about this. Thanks
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but why go to a 16v battery when these units are 12v? Will they run off of 16v and what is the benefit? Just looking to learn about this. Thanks
    We sell both the 12v and 16v units so I will sell customers whatever they would like to use on their boat and using higher voltage batteries, within the mfg stated operating range, will not hurt the units. After extensive testing and research, in my opinion performance benefits largely come from changing to a dedicated wiring harness eliminating electrical noise from voltage losses and electrical connectors/wiring that could be compromised in some fashion, either a bad connection, corrosion etc..

All Chart plotter Units have a set resolution, PPI (Pixels Per Inch) which voltage can not increase, so there are no resolution gains. All of the units have internal regulators that keep internal components on both chart plotters and transducers operating at consistent voltage.

Be careful of image comparisons that do not show all of the settings which are truly what dictates how the final image looks on the monitor

The emails below were received from both Garmin and Humminbird Engineers regarding 16v power to their units

Humminibird Engineers -

While we can take a wide range of input voltages (as listed below) almost every component of the system is regulated back to its correct voltage.It is a myth that 16V helps networking, sonar, performance, reliability, etc. This myth transcends electronic brands. It's a myth across all brands.
    However, 16V is not a problem for our systems.

Garmin Engineers -

“Yeah, this is really dangerous for the equipment to operate it at a higher voltage. There is no correlation between higher voltage and improved performance. All the power of the transducer and black box systems are internally regulated, so putting more voltage in does not get more performance out. The only thing it can do is damage the equipment.

I would recommend customers operate our products within the published Voltage specifications. Operating our products outside of the approved range will damage the equipment.

LvieScope : 10-32 Vdc
    ECHOMAP UHD2: 9 to 18 Vdc
    ECHOMAP Ultra: 9 to 18 Vdc
    GPSMAP: 10 to 32 Vdc

The trend of using the power drill lithium batteries is especially dangerous for our equipment. We have done extensive testing and none have proved to be safe for our equipment. The batteries used on drills can have very drastic, instantaneous power spikes, well outside of our acceptable voltage range. The drills are designed with internal hardware equipped to handle these spikes, our equipment does not. Customer support has seen lots of LiveScope and ECHOMAPs come in damage because of these voltage spikes.”

Hope this helps

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    We sell both the 12v and 16v units so I will sell customers whatever they would like to use on their boat and using higher voltage batteries, within the mfg stated operating range, will not hurt the units. After extensive testing and research, in my opinion performance benefits largely come from changing to a dedicated wiring harness eliminating electrical noise from voltage losses and electrical connectors/wiring that could be compromised in some fashion, either a bad connection, corrosion etc..

All Chart plotter Units have a set resolution, PPI (Pixels Per Inch) which voltage can not increase, so there are no resolution gains. All of the units have internal regulators that keep internal components on both chart plotters and transducers operating at consistent voltage.

Be careful of image comparisons that do not show all of the settings which are truly what dictates how the final image looks on the monitor

The emails below were received from both Garmin and Humminbird Engineers regarding 16v power to their units

Humminibird Engineers -

While we can take a wide range of input voltages (as listed below) almost every component of the system is regulated back to its correct voltage.It is a myth that 16V helps networking, sonar, performance, reliability, etc. This myth transcends electronic brands. It's a myth across all brands.
    However, 16V is not a problem for our systems.

Garmin Engineers -

“Yeah, this is really dangerous for the equipment to operate it at a higher voltage. There is no correlation between higher voltage and improved performance. All the power of the transducer and black box systems are internally regulated, so putting more voltage in does not get more performance out. The only thing it can do is damage the equipment.

I would recommend customers operate our products within the published Voltage specifications. Operating our products outside of the approved range will damage the equipment.

LvieScope : 10-32 Vdc
    ECHOMAP UHD2: 9 to 18 Vdc
    ECHOMAP Ultra: 9 to 18 Vdc
    GPSMAP: 10 to 32 Vdc

The trend of using the power drill lithium batteries is especially dangerous for our equipment. We have done extensive testing and none have proved to be safe for our equipment. The batteries used on drills can have very drastic, instantaneous power spikes, well outside of our acceptable voltage range. The drills are designed with internal hardware equipped to handle these spikes, our equipment does not. Customer support has seen lots of LiveScope and ECHOMAPs come in damage because of these voltage spikes.”

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the well thought out, researched response. I can see a 16v system being an advantage with longer battery life, and lower amperage, but thats about it. I think the "improved image" is often the 16V overcoming insufficient wiring.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Thanks for the well thought out, researched response. I can see a 16v system being an advantage with longer battery life, and lower amperage, but thats about it. I think the "improved image" is often the 16V overcoming insufficient wiring.
    yes, however when changing to a dedicated 16v Battery the customer is then forced to isolate the wiring with a new harness. If they would do that first, eliminating possible wiring issues, they would probably see that the systems runs better with the new wiring

In engineering you typically change one thing at a time then review the results, when changing two variables at once you really never know what the root cause of the issue was

9. Member
    Well I recently installed a 16v impulse for livescope only to make sure I always have 12+ volts for my livescope and yes I have had dedicated harness for several years and power pole charge but you can still run your cranking/electronics battery down. Regardless of what the engineers say when I get to 11.5 volts my livescope image suffers, I have seen it for years with 32 and 34 ducer so 16v is my plan on fixing that, time will tell…..

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by john5915 View Post
    Well I recently installed a 16v impulse for livescope only to make sure I always have 12+ volts for my livescope and yes I have had dedicated harness for several years and power pole charge but you can still run your cranking/electronics battery down. Regardless of what the engineers say when I get to 11.5 volts my livescope image suffers, I have seen it for years with 32 and 34 ducer so 16v is my plan on fixing that, time will tell…..
    The 16v battery will definitely keep your units in an optimal voltage range, also we will continue to sell the 16v system and support all of our customers running them
    Last edited by Impulse Lithium; 02-02-2023 at 08:44 PM.

11. Member
    No dog in this “fight” but I met Bill with Impulse last weekend at a boat show. Spoke to him about a range of ideas to do with going lithium. I believe he is an electrical engineer by trade and was great to talk to. Really explained things in a way that made sense to avg joe me! Very impressed with his knowledge and friends of mine whom I trust have his products and love them. I will soon as I save up and pull the “trigger”!

Question. hat is the usable voltage on the 16v? When does it cut off? Ty

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Question. hat is the usable voltage on the 16v? When does it cut off? Ty
    The website says 12.5v is cutoff.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john5915 View Post
    That would make sense because a 12v battery at 11.5v is a dead battery, it’s SOC is near 0%. 16v should keep you higher longer but once you deplete them battery then it will see the same fate. If you are hitting 11.5v regularly then I would think increasing AH would be your best bet, with either 12v or 16v.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay