Thread: C-Map contour+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-Map contour+

I have an HDS Live that shows I have contour+. I have been trying to set depth shading and have yet to figure it out. I have followed the video by Roy Barrows from Wacky Riggers plus other videos on YouTube without result. I can, as Roy explains, set my first depth color to red at 3’ feet, the next color to yellow, so on and so forth and when I select depth 1 to view the map everything is shown as red. I can change that first depth to a different color and that is the only color that shows. I have followed his video exactly so, my questions for those who know,

1. do you have to have gps to do this? Boat is in garage and will not acquire signal.
    2. Does contour+ only work on certain lakes?
    3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then how does one find out what lakes it will work on?

Thanks, Dan

2. Member
    Have you followed EXACTLY? It sounds like you set the first depth but didn’t set the red color to Zero. You have to do two steps for each depth range. In fact he talks about making the whole map red and how to solve it in the video.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Followed it verbatim, EXACTLY as he did, repeatedly. Used red set to 3’ 100%, set to 3’ again, color makes no difference, opacity at zero. Any other thoughts?

4. Member
    Any lake on your map that is red has no data for depth shading or even CMAP data. Go find a lake that is not red. Then tell us if its not working. Check out Noxin Res I did some mapping on that lake and believe it has CMAP data. At the very least you can download a genesis social map if it has no CMAP data.

5. Member
    I will try that and report back. Thanks

6. Member
    There is nothing on Noxon, no contour lines just blue. Tried Flathead lake nothing, contour lines but just red when depth1 selected. Tried Lake Roosevelt, WA contour lines but again all red. Photos of settings and result.

4EE86681-C95D-485E-BB45-561BE4154A41.jpegDF01049A-5CC0-491D-8769-59CA867ED29D.jpeg

BF5AF496-7CDC-481B-AA4E-E0A510FE0D86.jpegABB0E1EA-29D4-4458-84B8-07A42EF89E13.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d_smith View Post
    There is nothing on Noxon, no contour lines just blue. Tried Flathead lake nothing, contour lines but just red when depth1 selected. Tried Lake Roosevelt, WA contour lines but again all red. Photos of settings and result.

4EE86681-C95D-485E-BB45-561BE4154A41.jpegDF01049A-5CC0-491D-8769-59CA867ED29D.jpeg

BF5AF496-7CDC-481B-AA4E-E0A510FE0D86.jpegABB0E1EA-29D4-4458-84B8-07A42EF89E13.jpeg
    Depth Color Opacity
    3 Red 100
    3 Any Turn Off 0

compare this to what you have I believe this is your problem.

If you don't turn off red it goes on forever.
    Last edited by Basshopper; 01-31-2023 at 10:52 PM.

8. Member
    You do not have it setup correctly if the above pix are of your current settings. For EVERY color you add to the list to highlight in that color a depth RANGE, you should make 4 entries. Example:

depth=0, color=red, opacity=0
    depth=0, color=red, opacity=100
    depth=3, color=red, opacity=100
    depth=3, color=red, opacity=0

This 4 line setup would create a SOLID red highlight on your chart from 0-3ft that would be commonly used to create a low-depth navigation warning area. If no other entries are made, the rest of the chart will display whatever the default shading is for the deeper depths.

If you additionally want to highlight a fishing range lets say 10-15ft in orange, 4 more entries are required:

depth=10, color=orange, opacity=0
    depth=10, color=orange, opacity=100
    depth=15, color=orange, opacity=100
    depth=15, color=orange, opacity=0

If you want both the low-water warning area highlighted in red and the orange fishing range, you of course need all 8 entries.

I live near Wacky Riggers and have taken a Lowrance class from Roy he is super. He also came to our Basspro and did a class on this depth color highlighting that I attended.

When you want to change the fishing range because the bite changes, simply open up the settings and change the depth numbers on all 4 relevant lines and save. The chart will update.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

9. Member
    Thanks for all the assistance. Much appreciated.

10. Member
    My two Ti2(s) are setup similar to this Lowrance video. I like the gradient color changes, plus colors/depths are easier to change if necessary.

Looks like you need to put 0 for the red (NOT 3), then 5 for orange, then 10 for yellow, etc. (or whatever colors); all with 100% Opacity.
    Last edited by tj; 02-01-2023 at 11:48 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

11. Member
    All posts below mine are correct! That’s what I was trying to convey. You guys did a great job explaining. I was sure that was the issue just didn’t explain it well. Thanks to the site and knowledge available here.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    You can also do what TJ posted above. Nice video. I don't hate that way of doing it.

Pros: It makes the maps look purdy! It is MUCH easier to change the depth of a particular color
    Cons: It does not focus your attention as well on a specific depth range

Keep in mind that maps are not always accurate with respect to bottom contours as estimates are used to fill in gaps in incomplete bathy surveys. Also, changes to baseline water levels changes everything.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 02-02-2023 at 07:10 AM.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Good info in this thread.

14. Member
    following
    2014 Ranger 520c
    Mercury 250 ProXS 4S - Serial# 3B221690

Ionic 125ah
    Garmin 1222
    (3) Lowrance Carbon 12s

15. Member
    Would like to see images of other people's maps. I change mine a lot and and never found a color scheme I really like.
    2023 Puma STS

16. Member
    A follow up.

Not sure what I did, part of being old I guess, anyway this is where I’m at right now and things seem to be working. I started with the information johnnyred posted and set two different depths as he explained and it worked fine. The problem I ran into is that there are only a limited number of points, at least on mine-or again I might be doing something wrong, you can add which limits the amount of depths that can be shown. I went back to the lowrance, Jacob Scott video posted by tj, followed it and everything worked like it is supposed to.

I also saw, on my unit, as bass hopper posted, lakes shown up in red when depth 1 or 2 is selected, will not work for depth shading unless someone has mapped it and you have that lake downloaded.

I would like to again say thanks to all those who posted. It is a really nice feature and I believe it will help me catch a fish or two.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d_smith View Post
    The problem I ran into is that there are only a limited number of points, at least on mine-or again I might be doing something wrong, you can add which limits the amount of depths that can be shown.
    That is correct there are a limited number of entries that you can make in the custom colors screen.

If you only fishing one depth range at a time... hahaha... then the example I gave to turn on and off 2 different solid-color depth ranges, one for shallow water warning and one to fish in, while letting the rest of the chart areas display as default works great. If you want to beat the bank in shallow water while also fishing a deeper depth range, then of course you can fish the warning area and now you have 2 fishing ranges.

If you want or need to highlight 3 or more depth ranges, then the gradient method that TJ posted with video will be your best option.

18. Member
    I share 1 Discover card for my console Ti2 & bow Ti2 with WIFI; range color feature on both is nice.
    Last edited by tj; 02-03-2023 at 10:16 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

19. Member
    Thank you for the information on this thread. I still cannot figure this out. Here is a picture of my settings. When I zoom out to 45,000 feet, I can see the some shading. When I zoom in entire map is blue. Maybe this service is not available for Lake Shasta? Brand new live 12 with C-map+ in the unit from the factory. I also watched the video and he adds a depth and color to each line, closes the window and has success. Every line is at 100% opacity. Thank you for the help, Allen

20. Member
    I was joking about the 45,000 feet. Lower right of picture is actually 1 Mile out. Zoom in one click and the map is solid blue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast