Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pantera Classic vs Pantera II

I’m looking at buying a 1-2yr old boat, primary focus is competing in Pro-Ams on the west coast (Wild West, MLF). I’ve pretty much settled on BassCat after riding in just about every brand out there. As much as I’d love to run a Cougar or Eyra (didn’t like the Caracal), my budget is 55-60k so the P2 and Classic are a bit closer to my price range, especially when considering the electronics, poles, etc.
    I haven’t been in either model, but based on layout I’m leaning towards the Classic even with the poor fuel capacity and “budget” features. I’d love to hear any opinions, stories, feelings from guys that were happy going with with one over the other, or that regret it!
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar / 2019 Mercury 250
    Lake Shasta Record Spotted Bass: 9.63lbs

2. Member
    Just my $.02. The p2 is a good boat. Its like the eyra but smaller and slower. Ive owned a p2, cougar and now the caracal. Fished in The eyra several times. I wouldnt give up my caracal for any of those models. But thats just me
    Last edited by Bkp2609; 01-31-2023 at 07:17 PM.

3. Member
    All depends on your usage. I have the Classic with the 30 gallon fuel tank. I made a approximately 50 mile total run on Sunday. Still had plenty of fuel left more than half a tank. The rest of the boat is just amazing for the price point.

4. Member
    If your budget is 55-60 you can get a new p2 or classic. Or get a used eyra for around that would be my choice to be honest. A 2019 or 2020 eyra could fall in the budget. If you find the person that’s not trying to gouge you.

5. Member
    With you tournament fishing, make sure you understand how the livewell system operates on the Classic vs. the P2. It was a deal breaker for me.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    If your budget is 55-60 you can get a new p2 or classic. Or get a used eyra for around that would be my choice to be honest. A 2019 or 2020 eyra could fall in the budget. If you find the person that’s not trying to gouge you.
    I would 100% agree.
    Nothing at all wrong with a used boat and there are some great deals out there if you look.
    I have a much much older boat and have zero issues fishing any tournament on any body of water.
    Like the old saying goes...Age is just a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Dstacks7 View Post
    All depends on your usage. I have the Classic with the 30 gallon fuel tank. I made a approximately 50 mile total run on Sunday. Still had plenty of fuel left more than half a tank. The rest of the boat is just amazing for the price point.
    The new sp package price increase is noticeable, and all models have gone up so much that the few year old boats have followed.

As to the OP. I fished my 2021 eyra side by side with a co angler who had a classic. I would not dismiss that model at all as it was a bit more fishable at the bow and had more working room up front. Also enjoyed the storage and how the rods all layed flat and straight without hanging off the ends of the boxes.

Definitely locate some of the boats you are thinking about riding in and get on the water. Tim King has a nice optioned classic for sale btw. Hes on fb and its in your price point.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

8. Member
    Thank you all for the feedback, my primary issue with buying a used Cougar/Puma/Eyra is having to immediately drop 10k on updated electronics, lithiums and poles, which puts most 1-2yr old (the new Mercury is a must) boats out of that 60k price range. I think my next step will be pricing a new Classic, and looking for used 20ft/250hp models and seeing which option turns out the best combination of features and affordability.
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar / 2019 Mercury 250
    Lake Shasta Record Spotted Bass: 9.63lbs

9. Member
    Chad, I went from a 2015 P2 to a 2019 Classic. Both boats are pretty well the same excellent performance, ride, and speed. Great hole shot from both. P2 was a great rig, but I found it too narrow and cramped up front. The Classic beam is carried forward making the deck wider. Combined with the fact that the deck on the Classic is full right to the console, with no cut out for the cooler, gives a lot more room up front. The larger deck gives more storage also. I can't compare the two different livewell systems as I never used either of them. The seats are a bit better more comfortable in the P2. I understand the Classic seats may be upgradeable. With a 200, 30 gallons of fuel will get you close to 150 miles cruising mid range, and about 30% less distance if your foot is heavy. I much prefer the layout of the Classic with the centre rod locker, but that is a personal preference. The battery compartment of the Classic is much larger and much easier to work in with its removeable lid. The 3 "budget" features of the Classic are the livewell system, seats, and compulsory white cap, but the quality is still all BCB. If I buy another new "last" boat, it would be another Classic with the upgraded 4 inch trailer like my current rig.

PM me if you have any questions.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    I love my 2021 P2. I hate the trailer but I love the boat. It's plenty fast. It takes some dialing in like any boat to find the sweet spot. It's fairly basic but that's OK. Less stuff to break. There are some things I'd change but that true with any brand. Super fun to drive.

11. Member
    The seats are the same as my margay they are ok at best and the only real downside to the classic, the livewell is just fine I have never lost a fish in my margay livewell, if you are that concerned add some v2 vents and keep g juice handy. I think the classic is really an awesome boat and the perfect option for a weekend tourney angler get the 4 inch trailer and see if they could upgrade the seats and it is a slam dunk. I believe pm mantle went from a margay to a p2 and could probably speak to the front of the bow and how different it is, classic I believe has the same dimensions as the margay up front.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    . I believe pm mantle went from a margay to a p2 and could probably speak to the front of the bow and how different it is, classic I believe has the same dimensions as the margay up front.
    Correct. The P2 and Sabre share the same unique front end. The buoy storage area is different, and both are missing the spot to step on when getting out. Photos on the home page show this fairly clearly. A P2 with the front end of either other series would be about perfect.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

"Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

14. Member
    Good video. Haven’t seen that before. I forgot about the latches being upgraded in the P2.

The construction technique in the Margay/Classic is different than the P2. I cannot really speak to those technical issues because I do not know more than that. I do remember doing some reading before I went from P2 to Classic. BCB said the Margay/Classic construction technique had a very low rate of failure, and, that they were considering expanding the technique to some of the other boats. That was a few years ago, and I never heard anything further. Perhaps BCB could chime in here. I do know that the storage boxes in the rear deck and underseat in my Classic are not glassed into the cap like they were in the P2.

They are both such great boats. It is simply a matter of deciding which features are most important to you. Can’t go wrong with either one.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    I have had my margay since 2013 and been literally everywhere with it the boat is as solid as the day it came home. I will say the only issue that I had/have which I know was an issue with the early classics was water intrusion into some of the boxes in really heavy rain or water over the bow situations. My buddy has a loaded sabre ftd and both boats feel the same as far as quality of the actual boat. Latches and seats and things like that are better in the premium boats of course. Like I said if bass cat allows for some form of a wave crusher seat that boat would be perfect to me.

16. Member
    Can anyone with real world experience on both hulls chime in on any differences they saw in rough water ride? I'm between the PII and Classic for my next boat as well and spend a lot of time on Lake Michigan and St Clair (and am coming from a 91 PII).

17. Member
    Pantera 2 for sure, slightly shorter and wider hull so it performs much better. Get it with the Yamaha 200 SHO and flash it to a 300 for the best perfomance.

18. Member
    I have had a cougar FTD and now I have a 2020 Classic. The Classic is wider then the Cougar and has more front deck area and is wider then the P2. I really like my classic, Drives really easy and cruises at about 55 mpg. 200 Merc and 30 gallons of fuel have NOT been an issue. From NorCal, our lakes are NOT that big and 30 gallons for a tourney should not be an issue. I have not used the livewells at all but have seen youtube videos on how to use them. They are NOT auto drained or filled, it takes a plug and manual adjustments, not hard just a few more steps. The other boat I considered was the Caracal, but you have crossed that one off your list. I have the 3 inch trailer frame and no issues with that, it's still BCB trailer. If I upgrade it will be for a Puma STS only. If you happen to be come to the Modesto area, I would gladly let you take it for spin and show you the boat. Good Luck.

19. Member
    Does the classic not have a pump in pump out option on the live well like a margay? I would be surprised if the only option was the drain into the bilge. I can drain into the bilge if I want but I also have a pump out in my boat. I believe the only difference then is the spray bars and maybe an additional feature on the touch pad. I have the constant on 3 an 5min options as well which I am sure the classic most likely has.

20. Member
    If I remember right the difference is the p2 pump in/out are controlled by the touch pad and have own pumps, the classic have to pull out valve head inside livewell for pump out. So just not as fancy. Personally I think a drain in bottom of p2 livewells wouldn’t be a bad idea. Is always water in the bottom of mine even with the remote drain left open.

A big difference I noticed when looking at classic vs p2 was the classic felt like you were riding inside it, like seats sat deeper in hull, on p2 feels like riding on top of it. Safety wise they are probably the same, but sitting down in the hull probably would feel better when water gets rough. Could be psychological only though.

The classic has some cool features would be nice to see on p2, probably just because classic is newer design. Some things classic has that p2 does not: grip/step pads on bow and transom, built in bow light, ladder mounted to top of deck that extends down lower into water, large removable battery compartment lid, extra cup holders, foot rests in cockpit, 2 seat post holes at front position on bow. Guessing stuff like that will end on newer version of p2 later maybe. Some of the nicer features of p2 vs classic: livewell plumbing/spray bars, better hardware, seats, 6 bolt jack plate, can get cockpit in a color vs only white, and that’s all I can remember.

When sitting in the boats feels very different. I didn’t drive a classic so can’t say difference. They seem geared toward different purposes. I ended up getting the p2. The SP package was just a much better deal vs the classic. I was told the construction method of the p2 was higher end then the classic.

I use my p2 for local club tournaments and fun fishing on the California Delta. It’s a very functional and fun boat. It is a quick boat vs a really fast boat. Very good holeshot, guessing classic is similar. I would At least sit in both boats if possible, test rides would be best. I don’t think you could go wrong either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast