Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ionic 50ah question

I purchased a ionic 50ah battery and 12v 10a charger from a board sponsor 2 months ago. I’m running a Lowrance carbon 16. I started to notice that my voltage on the unit would be at 12.8 at the start of a day and 11.9 at the end. App showed 70% SOC but would get a notification that said less than 10% SOC please charge. So when I got home I plugged it up but the charger never came on. Come to find out the charger was no good. Tried to contact the board sponsor but couldn’t get them so i contacted lithium hub and they were great. Already have a new charger on the way. My question is the folks running a 50ah battery what is your voltage at 100% and then at 99% the next day. Mine went from 14.1 to 13.3 in 24hrs with nothing running. Any help would be appreciated.

Andy from Drewtech says you should see 14.1 right after the charger cuts off and after 12+ hours it should float around 13.4
    "The handicapped angler"

13.3 is perfect

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Tracker you are good at 13.3 or 13.4

also I sent you a private message
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

5. Member
    Replied to the pm. I’ve read people say that the 13.3
    is fine but when I talked with Jeff at lithium hub he stated the battery should not lose voltage and that something was pulling it down.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    Replied to the pm. I’ve read people say that the 13.3
    is fine but when I talked with Jeff at lithium hub he stated the battery should not lose voltage and that something was pulling it down.
    I think you might have misunderstood what the man said. Maybe call him again for confirmation.

Just like a lead acid battery being charged at say 14.6 volts will drop back down to ~12.7 volts after a period of time, so too will a lithium battery drop from its charging voltage (14.1 volts in your case) down to 13.3 after a while.

7. Member
    i dont think i did but i could be wrong. But he even told me to make sure my carbon was unhooked because they always pull a little power from the gps. He also said to unhook everything from the battery get it to a full charge and then check in 12hrs. Well i didnt unhook everything i just pulled the power from the back of the lowrance. Charged the battery back up to 100% 14.1V and then checked this morning and it was 13.8. I even told him that my app was showing nothing pulling power but he said that if its under 1 amp it wont show it.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    these were charged yesterday, this is today
    bataj.jpgbatak.jpgbataz.jpg
    when you cycle them regular and get the batteries down to 50% and recharge weekly you may see them hold at 13.7 to 13.8 form week to week
    topping off from 13.3 to 14.1 is not charging the battery if its already at 99% it needs to drain and cycle for a good charge and for the cells to balance
    Jeff just wanted to make sure you got a proper test by having you disconnect everything, if its draining you will also see a loss of percentage
    if it drops to 97% and 13v over night then it could be a issue but as long as its holding at 13.3 to 13.4 no worries
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    Got back home after work. App still shows 13.7. I do believe the carbon 16 even while turned off is pulling a little power. Because after the same amount of time with the carbon 16 plugged in it was down to 13.3. Hopefully get out on the water next weekend to see if it holds it’s volts or drops like it’s been doing.

10. Member
    Just a couple observations. My Ionics will read 13.3 to 13.4 at 99 to 100 percent the day after charging. They also read 13.3 to 13.2 around 80 percent after a day of fishing. The voltage curve is really flat on mine.

Also. the voltage reading on my Lowrance's is a joke. It goes up and down but the voltage is steady when measured at the graph with my Fluke meter.

11. Member
    I was gonna ask. Where on the Lowrance plug do you check your voltage. I’m not sure where to insert my leads to check.

12. Member
    I pierced the wires on the Lowrance harness side of my connection. After confirming good voltage I re did the connection removing the pierced place. I also removed the voltage reading from my overlay. I believe there's an know issue with incorrect voltage readings if you "stop sonar" but my readings were off and fluctuating all the time. This is with a Carbon 9, and a Live 7. My Elite 7 Ti2 read the correct steady voltage at both connectors.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    I pierced the wires on the Lowrance harness side of my connection. After confirming good voltage I re did the connection removing the pierced place. I also removed the voltage reading from my overlay. I believe there's an know issue with incorrect voltage readings if you "stop sonar" but my readings were off and fluctuating all the time. This is with a Carbon 9, and a Live 7. My Elite 7 Ti2 read the correct steady voltage at both connectors.
    Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that a number of MFD's display a voltage that is less than actual voltage to the device. Not sure why that is.

14. Member
    Ran the carbon 16 today for a little over 3 hours. App showed 13.3 99% when I started and 13.2 93% when I finished. The unit still went from 12.9 down to 11.9 when I took the boat out. I’m guessing the unit is that far off.

15. Member
    Ran the carbon 16 today for a little over 3 hours. App showed 13.3 99% when I started and 13.2 93% when I finished. The unit still went from 12.9 down to 11.9 when I took the boat out. I’m guessing the unit is that far off.
    That's from voltage drop in the wiring. Previous owner of my rig had seaclear harnesses installed. My bow graphs read withing .02 vdc of what the app on my phone shows.

16. Member

my carbon 16 is pretty off as well. They had said there was going to be an update to fix the reading, but I’m not holding my breath waiting on it.

Keep in mind, the 16 pulls about 5amps/hr (edit: it’s 5 with the AT on) I started out with a 50 ionic and moved to a 125 ionic, my 12, 16 & AT sucked that 50 dry too quickly.
    Last edited by Bass in the grass; 02-10-2023 at 03:34 PM.

17. Member
    I wouldn’t think it’s the wiring. It’s marine 10ga running 6ft directly to the battery. From what I’ve seen the carbon 16 will pull 3amps and that’s the only thing running off the 50ah battery. I’m gonna disconnect the Lowrance power cable from my 10ga wire and check the voltage there. If it’s good which I would think it would be then it’s gotta be the 16 reading being way off.

18. Member
    My ionic app right now reads 13.3v.

My Carbon 12 reads 12.1v and my carbon 16 reads 11.8. Each graph is individually wired straight to the 125 ionic with 10g Marine wire, it’s the way the graph reads the voltage, not your wiring.

You are right about the 3amp on the 16, I was adding it was the AT running, which is 5ah.

19. Member
    Yeah I’m just gonna take the damn voltage reading off. Shit will bug me to know end. Thanks for the feedback

20. Member
    What type of cells are used in Ionics? Saw a tear down on YouTube that has me wondering what are used for the 50/100/125?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast