First Round in Maui this year!

Kanapali Kai. Got there early, other course under water from so much rain of late. Range closed. Cart path only. But course was actually in great shape and we got some good walking. 2 couples and we finished in under 4 hours which was great. Greens were fantastic but very tricky figuring out how golf balls can break uphill but the ocean effect will make it happen apparently. 87 with a 41 on the back nine showed some improvement. No rain while we played until we pulled the carts up into the parking lot to unload. Perfect. Two more rounds and a kayak fishing trip to go.

2. Member
    Golf gets better, fishing gets worse.
    82 with a 40 on the back nine at Waeia Municipal yesterday with my fishing friend and our wives.
    Great little track on the North Shore by the ocean.
    Played in 4 1/2 hours which wasn't bad.

Then today out kayak fishing in Maaelea bay, which was a bust. Caught a few drifting flys/jigs behind us and then the seas turned angry before we could get off the ocean. Sunk one kayak that had developed a leak that worsened as the waves got bigger. Cut it loose and watched a few of the guides's rods disappear and some tackle and seats while we were thrown out as the kayak rolled backwards as he cut the line from the sinker. Buddies shoes were off and he steps on an urchin walking in. We were still a long way out and waves pounding us with a lot of coral to wade/walk/swim through to the beach while dragging the one floating kayak and the guide dragging the sinker.Worried a little about getting cut up and blood in the water to draw some sharks! Finally made the beach and got my buddy on to the Urgent Care facility to take care of the urchin stick.

Bass fishing looks pretty good today!
    I think we will try and play golf tomorrow!

3. Member
    Golf Courses in Maui report:
    Kaanapali Kai was great course, fast greens and well kept considering all the rain. $150+ per person with some great views of the ocean from a distance.
    The clouds went away and each day had more sunshine as the week progressed.

Waiehu Municipal was a fun seaside course on the North Side that was very enjoyable with generous fairways. $60 per person and $12 each for the new carts.
    Only takes reservations by phone 48 hours in advance.

Maui Nui had the toughest time with water and wash outs. We only played the front nine but it is in Kihei and close to our stay. Had some good music planned for Fat Tuesday with CJ Chenier playing some Zydeco music and other music events planned in the evenings there.

Pukalani Country Club was a great course in the interior up the volcano with broad fairways, tree lined and in great shape. $74 per person on some old beater carts-but they worked, well the brakes almost worked. Good food and drinks at the little restaurant that packs them in after 5.

My friend used a booking service for Kaanapali and Pukalani and we checked on rain out policy-only rain check from golf course was the policy and no refunds apparently-so buyer beware if you use them. This policy made us drive up to Kaanapali and check it out. We played early and just finished our round before the rain started up again so it worked out well for us.

We picked a good week to be gone from East Texas. Ice storms in Austin smashing trees had my SIL buying chain saws to help neighbors clean up. Some ice near home and electricity outages in other nearby areas were a bigger problem than we had heard. School was out only one day for the grandson during the weather. Lots of water has helped fill Lake Palestine to above pool for the first time since my arrival last August and Lake Fork has come up almost 4 feet since its lowest point and now is only 3 feet low. Back to reality tomorrow fishing my grandson's high school bass tournament on Lake Palestine with North Winds 10 mph and high of 51. I hope we can get a few fish to bite!

Awesome experience! You need any new friends, bro? I can golf. I usually shoot around 78…….

on 9 holes, that is. But I will carry your clubs, also.

Enjoy it!
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

5. Member
    I can always add new golfing and fishing friends. Especially during the week. Let me know if you want to try Palestine, Athens, Tawakoni or elsewhere. And bring the sticks, never know when you might want to use them instead of fighting the waves. And Bob Sandlin this next three weeks to scout it for my grandsons tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    I can always add new golfing and fishing friends. Especially during the week. Let me know if you want to try Palestine, Athens, Tawakoni or elsewhere. And bring the sticks, never know when you might want to use them instead of fighting the waves. And Bob Sandlin this next three weeks to scout it for my grandsons tournament.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions