Trolling motor vs hand pole

For livescope.....Do you prefer the trolling motor mount for transducer VS a hand pole?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Hand pole. I like to point my livescope where I want and my trolling motor where I want. They are very seldom the same place. And using spot lock and livescope together is just seems a waste of money for one or the other.

3. Member
    All aboard marine all sync is the best of both worlds. The best mount I have used so far.

4. Member
    Strictly bass fishing may be alright on trolling motor but crappie fishing i wouldn't have it any other way besides a pole mount. It's nice in high wind when spotlocked being able to point livescope where ever needed. I like mine on a pole. My buddy put his on the trolling motor & then ended up buying a ritehite turret to be able to point it where he wanted.

5. Member
    Ok thanks for the input guys. Will I need to get a Zero degree mount using a pole or can I use the one that comes with the LVS34 with some sort of DIY shim?
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

6. Member
    On the troller and I mostly crappie fish. Tried a pole and hated it. I love that I am controlling the boat and the ducer with my foot. It just becomes instinct after a while. Hands never leave the rod.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Ok thanks for the input guys. Will I need to get a Zero degree mount using a pole or can I use the one that comes with the LVS34 with some sort of DIY shim?
    0 Degree would be preferred. I was able to snag just the 0 portion from Amazon for $13.

8. Member
    Trolling motor for bass fishing. Sometimes you have to follow a fish and it would be impossible to do so while reeling.

9. Member
    I used the Garmin 8* mount & a perspective view mount from IMS here on the boards on a diy pvc pole & it works great. I can chase fish down pretty easy with it too.

10. Member
    I have a minn kota terrova, and have tried a homemade pole, and also one from dbl seat. Both were cumbersome and took up too much room. I then bought a livescanner, but again it didn't work quite the way I wanted it to on the terrova, so I ended up getting a Lowrance Ghost and the livescanner will attach to the ghost and I got a folding mount from cornfield with an offset base (will be here today) to move my fish finders out of the way. Alot of wasted money trying to get things the way I wanted them.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deep-v View Post
    I have a minn kota terrova, and have tried a homemade pole, and also one from dbl seat. Both were cumbersome and took up too much room. I then bought a livescanner, but again it didn't work quite the way I wanted it to on the terrova, so I ended up getting a Lowrance Ghost and the livescanner will attach to the ghost and I got a folding mount from cornfield with an offset base (will be here today) to move my fish finders out of the way. Alot of wasted money trying to get things the way I wanted them.
    Bingo....thats what I am worried will happen. I have an Ulterra and there is no good solution for the transducer, so I am thinking about getting an Ultrex instead of a hand pole....I have never fished for crappie and don't plan on starting, I mainly bass fish and striper fish with more striper fishing this year
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Bingo....thats what I am worried will happen. I have an Ulterra and there is no good solution for the transducer, so I am thinking about getting an Ultrex instead of a hand pole....I have never fished for crappie and don't plan on starting, I mainly bass fish and striper fish with more striper fishing this year
    This is a good description of my fishing style. I have a DIY motorized transducer pole mounted on my Ultrex and it gives me the flexibility I need to cover the various conditions.
    From my Experience:

*) When bass fishing down a bank with moving lures, I don’t use FFS much but when I do, it is seldom pointed in the same direction as the trolling motor. I mostly want to know if I am around fish and more often than not I am looking at deeper water.
    *) When off shore structure fishing, typically on spotlock, I often adjust the direction of the transducer to compensate for boat movement. The transducer beam is very narrow and it takes some movement to keep it on a piece of structure but I do it with a foot operated switch so I have my hands free. Something I find helpful is to automatically scan a narrow area at slow speed so the transducer rocks back and forth essentially widening the cone angle.
    *) When chasing schooling fish or bait, my transducer is normally pointed in the same Direction as the TM so having it mounted on the TM shaft works out but once you lock down and start fishing the deeper fish, independent transducer movement is a great convenience.
    *) About 60% of my fishing time is spent vertical fishing with either drop shot or spoons and a motorized transducer pole really shines here.

This works for me but most of the guys in my bass club have FFS with the transducer mounted on TM shaft and they are happy with it. That being said, I am beginning to see more motorized poles in the regional tournaments.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

There is a place on both the shaft and on a pole. That’s why we developed the All Sync system. It gives you the best of everything. The All Scan Hybrid system takes this to a whole new level with the highest quality most advanced pole mount on the market!!

14. Member
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

The Ultrex is a good option or you can go with this All Scan system and save the coin on the Ultrex.

16. Member
    I fish for bass. The trolling motor is all I need, I don't want to screw around with a hand pole while I'm flying around chasing fish
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    I fish for bass. The trolling motor is all I need, I don't want to screw around with a hand pole while I'm flying around chasing fish

I fish for bass too. Tell me how, when the wind is blowing you one direction, and you’re trying to keep the boat positioned into the wind, you’re also using live scope to look off to your left at structure?

I wonder some times, if the people slapping them on their tm and calling It good are utilizing It to the best of its ability.

I also don’t want to Jack with a hand pole though. That’s why I’ll get the powered one in my link. Spot lock, then use the foot pedals to scan structure independent of the tm.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    I fish for bass too. Tell me how, when the wind is blowing you one direction, and you’re trying to keep the boat positioned into the wind, you’re also using live scope to look off to your left at structure?

I wonder some times, if the people slapping them on their tm and calling It good are utilizing It to the best of its ability.

I also don’t want to Jack with a hand pole though. That’s why I’ll get the powered one in my link. Spot lock, then use the foot pedals to scan structure independent of the tm.
    That’s the beauty of the All Scan Hybrid systems. Trolling motor control when you want it. Independent control when you want it. Plus the advanced Automatic option to pin point the target and keep it on the screen. The only tryuly hands free option on the market.

19. Member

Nothing wrong with getting a different tool for the job... just providing my opinion that I have never felt the need for a pole, my foot does just fine controlling the boat and the beam
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

I am just now installing livescope on my trolling motor. Plan on using shallow water ancors to position the boat so I can then point the trolling motor/lvs34 in the direction I want. Of course that would not work in deep water.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5